Question for the MMA rating experts...

SalvadorAllende

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
You know Sherdog has some bussiness experts in the subject.

The other day I was watching an event (was it ACB?) on a Youtube live stream. You know YT shows how many people are watching it at the time.

That one in particular was over 100K.

I guess most of income of MMA promotiones comes (besides ticket sales) in publicity and sponsors shows during the show. Yeah, I know that also networks pay them money but that is also publicity/sponsors (in the related (in the commercial breaks)... but that is related to the ratings they do.

Seeing as a solid promotions as Bellator (drawing 500k), or even PFL (150K)... it is not a very long stretch.

Also YT allows to block the broadcast for some countries.. so in case a promotion has a deal with a network they can block it in that country (yeah, I know about VPNs and stuff).

Im watching RCC 3 live now () and the quality is really good. There are "only" 12K people watching but Im pretty interested to see how many tune for the Aleksander Emelianenko - Viktor Pesta fight.

Do you guys think these kind of streams could be a factor in the future? Or at least in the development of MMA in countries where it has not reached much popularity yet (Im from Argentina and that is a good example).

It's hard to say on the free stream side. The biggest issues advertisers have right now with free streams is they have no way of knowing who is watching. In other words the demographics of the viewers and this one of the major keys that set the value of the advertising spots. They don't want to pay money out for a bunch of 12 to 15 year old's watching unless they're trying to reach that market. So many of these free streams on something like youtube basically fall under Youtube's pay numbers(you can look it up) but it takes a lot of viewers to make any money worth while. We are talking a million plus views. Now someone like RCC might of got a flat fee from some one like youtube, once again probably very little.

Watched the Aleks fight....

Jeez he looked like shit early was taking punches and cheated grabbing the cage like 6 times lol.

Nice finish for him but it's probly good for him he isn't in a bigger promotion.Fun to watch but yeah

It's hard to say on the free stream side. The biggest issues advertisers have right now with free streams is they have no way of knowing who is watching. In other words the demographics of the viewers and this one of the major keys that set the value of the advertising spots. They don't want to pay money out for a bunch of 12 to 15 year old's watching unless they're trying to reach that market. So many of these free streams on something like youtube basically fall under Youtube's pay numbers(you can look it up) but it takes a lot of viewers to make any money worth while. We are talking a million plus views. Now someone like RCC might of got a flat fee from some one like youtube, once again probably very little.
Thanks for your response.

I get the demographic problem. I think they can see how many users per country are watching but they dont have a clue of age or gender. They could by they users information but anyone could be logged in (for example, we all watch in my session in my house).

IDK about Youtube pay numbers. Streamers/Youtubers here in Argentina do it just for fun because there is hardly any money involved. It must be lower here for sure.

A factor I hadnt mentioned before is the amount of replays they can get. If the video is uploaded in youtube it can be watched. I dont know if the views numbers count when the same user watched it twice or not.

As I said.. it is really interesting for me because I live in a country where combat sports are kind of big (many people train them) but not marketed at all. Ten years ago we had a couple of pros in Kickboxing. Now we have a lot more mostly because Fox Sports is broadcasting the bigger events. Still there is a lot to do and MMA is growing.

If promo's want to know who is watching they can use promo codes to help "save $1 when you use the promo code ACB!".

Free streams are what Dana White tells you not to watch. He is rich. They must suck.

Back