Early UFC 226 pay-per-view estimates are under 400,000 buys

Poor dying UFC only brought in $40 million or so in one night. I feel so bad for them. Maybe I could trade bank accounts with Dana to make him feel better.

Hey guys so every once in a while these threads pop up and I have to say something. My moms friend is a successful business man and he said that even 250k PPV buys is good for the company.

He said using a 1M PPV buy rate as a normal thing would be crazy and if that were the case than the UFC would've sold for like 10 billion. He didn't really say 10 billion he said a lot more.

I trust him a lot more than some random person on sherdog saying UFC is dying lol. But I think they need more young fans almost none of my friend even know UFC exists. Lol

-Kenny

It's due in large part to streaming. I happen to know quite a few "casuals" who were very interested in 226. And almost all of them were bragging about streaming the fight as opposed to buying it. I was going to buy it for the first time in a LONG time, but chose to watch it at one of said casuals house instead after the Holloway / Ortega fight fell through. We even talked about it during the fights, mentioning how pissed we would be if we were the UFC, at just how many people were streaming the fights instead of buying them.

the main event was a superfight for the hardcore fans. and the rest of the card was more about exciting matchups than starpower.
Idk mang.

I don't think WME is putting on events for the hardcore fans. There isn't any money in that, bc there are only a few 100 thousand of us, and most of us aren't paying.

Idk mang.

I don't think WME is putting on events for the hardcore fans. There isn't any money in that, bc there are only a few 100 thousand of us, and most of us aren't paying.
im speaking on why it didnt sell 700k ppvs. if they thought this was gonna be like 217 they're mistaken. this card and 225 had a lot of exciting fights and names on it for hardcore, regular ufc viewers.

to reply to what you're saying - yes its apparent WME has no clue whats going on and i think they are clueless as to why the ppv's arent selling. they've gone the stack the ppv and up and down with top 10 fighters and 2 title fights etc. (like 225) - and it did like 300k guys. they did 220 with the heavyweight and light heavy belts on the line and they did like 300k again. they're throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. they have no idea how to run an mma organization or to help it grow.

How much would a 400,000 ppv buy card do if no one pirated and everyone bought? Any guesses? Over 2mil?

If everyone streaming it in PPV countries bought it instead? You'd be easily at 2 million. Thing is though if it wasnt available for free the vast majority of those people wouldn't pay for it. The idea of one event costing $65 is ludicrious to young people nowadays. Most of the games they play are free. They can stream all the shows they want for $10 a month. PPV model is going to steadily decline as those people age more and more into the target demographic.

It's due in large part to streaming. I happen to know quite a few "casuals" who were very interested in 226. And almost all of them were bragging about streaming the fight as opposed to buying it. I was going to buy it for the first time in a LONG time, but chose to watch it at one of said casuals house instead after the Holloway / Ortega fight fell through. We even talked about it during the fights, mentioning how pissed we would be if we were the UFC, at just how many people were streaming the fights instead of buying them.
It’s extremely easy to stream nowadays so I dont doubt it!

If everyone streaming it in PPV countries bought it instead? You'd be easily at 2 million. Thing is though if it wasnt available for free the vast majority of those people wouldn't pay for it. The idea of one event costing $65 is ludicrious to young people nowadays. Most of the games they play are free. They can stream all the shows they want for $10 a month. PPV model is going to steadily decline as those people age more and more into the target demographic.
I can’t even convince myself or my wife to own traditional cable service.

Even though it has waned a bit I still think that there is plenty of interest in the UFC, it's just that illegal streams and torrents are killing them. If anything the PPV model is dying. Anybody with an IQ over 80 can figure out how to pirate the shit in HD these days.

Neither DC nor Stipe are draws and neither have done over 400 without Jones. It's a superfight so that bumped up the buys, but no one should've expected this to sell huge.

Conor, GSP and Brock are the only ones who can do big numbers. Cyborg v. Nunes would be big as well, but only for that fight.

Even though it has waned a bit I still think that there is plenty of interest in the UFC, it's just that illegal streams and torrents are killing them. If anything the PPV model is dying. Anybody with an IQ over 80 can figure out how to pirate the shit in HD these days.
I’m too stupid for that 1080p shit but best believe I’m rocking the shit out of that 480i shit!!!

Honestly I had a friend hat wanted to buy it that's just getting into this stuff and he gave up because it was too hard to figure out the pre pre prelims vs prelims vs main card for a new viewer

PPV model is dying imo. Going the way of television and cable. It's all about them streaming services these days. Hell all I watch is Youtube, Netflix, and various streaming sites on my PC. Only have a TV for gaming.

Just in no world would I pay sixty bucks for this when there's so many other things I'd rather have plus I can just look up the fights the next day

Maybe I'd pay for a Conor card buT eh I didn't for all his other fights so who knows

It’s extremely easy to stream nowadays so I dont d
If I'm not buying a fight, I usually go to my nephews house where he streams. It's all set up by the time I get there, so I had never seen the exact process. I went to my friends house this past Saturday and watched his 13 yr old son set it all up rather quickly, I was kind of shocked at how easy it was.

payperview is dead. stream, watch at a bar, viewing party where everyone chips in to order it, etc

Already 3.5M views on youtube and counting and it's only been 3 days.

The Brawk effect is real.

If I'm not buying a fight, I usually go to my nephews house where he streams. It's all set up by the time I get there, so I had never seen the exact process. I went to my friends house this past Saturday, and watched his 13 yr old son set it all up rather quickly, I was kind of shocked at how easy it was.
It’s really easy through KODI add ons. It doesn’t take much knowledge just how to get the add on links from the internet. It just depends on your effort! Lol

I can’t even convince myself or my wife to own traditional cable service.

I haven't had cable in a decade. $70 a month with commercials? Fucking laughable. Their business model is dying as well.

Back