Stomp kicks - why so rare in glory/K-1/Muay Thai

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So Wonderboy has been arguing that they should be banned because they are so deadly and easy to do.

Is it because you need to stand half sideways to do them?

Or because a lot of guys are light on their front leg for teeps etc.

Why are they so rare?

I assume you mean oblique kicks to the knee, a lot of leagues, sanctioning bodies and athletic commissions ban them. I’m sure many don’t but you generally don’t see them in Muay Thai or kickboxing because fighters recognize the potential risks involved. I’ll put it to you this way if (hypothetically) we are sparring and you start pulling that shit I’ll ask you to stop if you continue I see that as you crossing a line and I’m going to come at you to hurt you. It’s a pice of shit move that can permanently injure your opponent or training partners if you are doing it in training or in competition you are a piece of shit and you will be treated accordingly.

I assume you mean front kicks

People stand on the front foot too much, therefore it is hard to do effectively, since its hard to 'place your hip' in the kick when you are bent over.They are indeed super deadly and underused way too much.

However they do have a vulnerability in that if you get grabbed, they can basically soccer kick your backleg or lead through with a straight right hand. So treat it as just another weapon in your arsenal albeit a strong one since it can be executed quick and with a lot of force since you are using so much hip leg and back muscles (the main power generators of every action).

Last edited:
So Wonderboy has been arguing that they should be banned because they are so deadly and easy to do.

Why are they so rare?

they are banned, in most if not all kickboxing organisations.

T9JWdBL.png

I assume you mean oblique kicks to the knee, a lot of leagues, sanctioning bodies and athletic commissions ban them. I’m sure many don’t but you generally don’t see them in Muay Thai or kickboxing because fighters recognize the potential risks involved. I’ll put it to you this way if (hypothetically) we are sparring and you start pulling that shit I’ll ask you to stop if you continue I see that as you crossing a line and I’m going to come at you to hurt you. It’s a pice of shit move that can permanently injure your opponent or training partners if you are doing it in training or in competition you are a piece of shit and you will be treated accordingly.

100% dude

its a self defense move, not a sport move. IMO arguing to keep it legal is the equivalent of wanting to allow eye poking or hair pulling or something. The goal behind the move is to break the leg. People may ague that the armbar is aimed to break the arm. However the difference is that you can tap in a armbar before it breaks, due to the pulling motion. This knee stomp, there is no stopping it, or tapping out, once it makes impact, if it lands clean, your done. I have used it in a self defense position once before. The IKF just banned it as well!

I Assume mauy thai has no rule against it? They were allowed to kick the nuts like 10 years ago.

Why are they so rare?

I think the majority of organizations have them banned. the knee stomp is bullshit. the foot stomp wouldn't bother me if it was legal but most places have it banned as well. The foot stomp is such a minor technique, I dont see it changing the game much.

100% dude

its a self defense move, not a sport move. IMO arguing to keep it legal is the equivalent of wanting to allow eye poking or hair pulling or something. The goal behind the move is to break the leg. People may ague that the armbar is aimed to break the arm. However the difference is that you can tap in a armbar before it breaks, due to the pulling motion. This knee stomp, there is no stopping it, or tapping out, once it makes impact, if it lands clean, your done. I have used it in a self defense position once before. The IKF just banned it as well!
Yeah man, I’ve never had someone pull that in a fight but I have in sparring. Most guys that do that are green and are cool about it if you talk to them. Had to beat the message into one dude recently though.

I think we learned to do the stomp kick in many katas for my MMA/self-defence class. I had actually forgotten about it. But yeah, kickboxing in a sport should be nice. Don't try to kill your fellow athletes. In street fights you can do as you please.

My worst kick that I hate is the axe kick. I hate when that foot just comes downward for my face. That move makes me very defensive and I hate people who do that. It's plain dirty. In my opinion.

In training or in kickboxing promotions where they are banned that's one thing, but in the UFC for example, it's a perfectly legal attack.

Are they actually banned in muay thai?

I think the majority of organizations have them banned. the knee stomp is bullshit. the foot stomp wouldn't bother me if it was legal but most places have it banned as well. The foot stomp is such a minor technique, I dont see it changing the game much.

You ever been foot stomped on your 3rd or 4th toe by a heel...changes the game not to mention the angle of your toes lol if done right..shit hurts and mangles bro lol

You ever been foot stomped on your 3rd or 4th toe by a heel...changes the game not to mention the angle of your toes lol if done right..shit hurts and mangles bro lol

I have only been foot stomped once in a fight, but they are illegal in muay thai so its rarely going to happen. I agree they can do damage, but its nothing compared to what type of damage the knee stomp is capable of.

I have only been foot stomped once in a fight, but they are illegal in muay thai so its rarely going to happen. I agree they can do damage, but its nothing compared to what type of damage the knee stomp is capable of.

Yea...both have ancient roots more on the life or death side of things like most martial arts...Muay Buran and older verisons of Martials arts probably practiced and used both..but they were preparing to fight life and death and possibly agaisnt armed raiders..big difference then competing for a paycheque..that beening said all techniques pose a threat that you as a fighter should have an answer to ...this technique is no different as brutal as it can be..there are ways to counter or avoid it just like any other forward striking kick

Modern fighters are just being caught with it for now it is still relatively uncommon due to banning but once people start preparing for it more..in the MMA world for example..the knowlegde will pass on

Yea...both have ancient roots more on the life or death side of things like most martial arts...Muay Buran and older verisons of Martials arts probably practiced and used both..but they were preparing to fight life and death and possibly agaisnt armed raiders..big difference then competing for a paycheque..that beening said all techniques pose a threat that you as a fighter should have an answer to ...this technique is no different as brutal as it can be..there are ways to counter or avoid it just like any other forward striking kick

Modern fighters are just being caught with it for now it is still relatively uncommon due to banning but once people start preparing for it more..in the MMA world for example..the knowlegde will pass on

there was a thread about this move in the standup section recently, it was discussed in detail.

there was a thread about this move in the standup section recently, it was discussed in detail.

If its the thread im thinking of i might have wrote there as well already lol..about counters and defending the oblique kick

In training or in kickboxing promotions where they are banned that's one thing, but in the UFC for example, it's a perfectly legal attack.
Legal and ethical are two very different things. But to be fair the words ethical and the UFC are seldom uttered in the same breath .

I have never seen it explicitly banned in any muay thai ruleset
They either have a ban on techniques that hyper-extend the knee or the fighters in 100% of the fights have a gentleman's agreement on not using it.. I think the first one is more likely.

Back