This Gen's Work Ethic

considering that the productivity of the average american worker has steadily increased since the 70s id say its more about the perception

Yep. People want you to do more for less AND you do it.. but unless you’re working like a sweatshop slave you’re lazy and an entitled shit

Good for those kids. I applaud them for demanding some respect, unlike us, who had to suck a dick or two and grovel at our bosses feet to flip burgers, like we hated ourselves.

I seen a couple of thread threads about this Entitled Gen and just had talk to someone who runs a High End Boutique shop selling High Designer clothes and he stated that he had had to change his approach to dealing with today youth(early 20s just entering the work place). He stated that it is hard to keep younger employees more than 2 to 3 yrs and during the interview process them tend to ask "What Can This Job Offer Me" and he ends up trying to sell them a job, instead of them begging for it, and these are folks that walk into his shop.

Now I remember always being asked "What Can I Bring to Job" and "How Can Help The Company" and "Where Do I See Myself in 5yrs",etc... So it is weird for me to hear him explain his interviewing process where he is Selling the job and this is a job where they can make a thousand a day in commission on top of a good salary.

But does this Gen have the right approach and asking what they are going to get out of a job instead of what they can give to it?
"a thousand a day"!? Get the @#$% outta here.

Companies look for the cheapest labor or to at least pay minimum wages. Like others have said you get what you pay for. These companies are very greedy and the money is squandered at the top.

I always find it odd when business owners are perplexed as to why they can't keep quality workers around. Either pay more, make the job less shitty, or deal with constant turnover / crappy workers. Blaming your issues on an entire generation's work ethic is stupid.

I think it depends. I am 36, so some sources say I am considered a "millennial"... Ive busted my ass at every job Ive ever had, and if I didnt feel like I was either capable or willing to do the job to a reasonable ability any longer, I exited respectfully regardless if I had a new job lined up or not.

What I've also found is that in many places Ive worked, the harder I worked, more was expected of me (with no additional financial compensation for the extra responsibilities).

The people who were the biggest entitled pricks (who also did the least work) were often people at the top... many of whom lied, manipulated, and/or f*cked their way to their current position; or the laziest people who would do just enough to not be noticed, and kissed the asses of mgmt.

I always find it odd when business owners are perplexed as to why they can't keep quality workers around. Either pay more, make the job less shitty, or deal with constant turnover / crappy workers. Blaming your issues on an entire generation's work ethic is stupid.
Kids are lazy, but most jobs don't offer much anymore. Low pay, no benefits, and no career path. Why work hard?

Kids are lazy, but most jobs don't offer much anymore. Low pay, no benefits, and no career path. Why work hard?

Pretty much. Its annoying hearing all the baby boomers shit-talk anyone younger because "they worked at a fast food joint to pay their way through school, so why cant these lazy kids?"

How about you shut the *uck up, gramps? When a year of tuition alone at a private university can run from 20-45K, You're not paying that working part time at mcdonalds. Not even mentioning the fact that the older generations could live a comfortable middle class life on a single income, with little or no education beyond High School. Today, good luck making more than 40K without a degree, trade, valuable certifications, working insane hours or in a high stress/volatile position... that might get you a one bedroom apartment and hoping you don't have any small emergencies that will ruin you financially.

Pretty much. Its annoying hearing all the baby boomers shit-talk anyone younger because "they worked at a fast food joint to pay their way through school, so why cant these lazy kids?"

How about you shut the *uck up, gramps? When a year of tuition alone at a private university can run from 20-45K, You're not paying that working part time at mcdonalds. Not even mentioning the fact that the older generations could live a comfortable middle class life on a single income, with little or no education beyond High School. Today, good luck making more than 40K without a degree, trade, valuable certifications, working insane hours or in a high stress/volatile position... that might get you a one bedroom apartment and hoping you don't have any small emergencies that will ruin you financially.

Previous generations organized into unions and elected those who worked toward their best interests. Employers had to pay decent wages. Employers tried to avoid paying more by offering benefits like health insurance and pension plans. It seemed to be a good way to avoid raising pay because medical procedures weren't as advanced and costly. Many workers died before they reached retirement age and the ones who were able to reach retirement, didn't live much longer.

With the added money in the medical system, care improved and extended the workers lives costing employers more for medical care as well as pensions. Many businesses just shut down to avoid paying pensions so the government stepped in and forced them to set aside pension funds.

Today you find people who object to paying union dues. I worked with people who declined the health insurance when they had to pay $6 a week for it. They wouldn't put any money in an IRA even when the company matched it to a certain amount. Many averaged missing a day a week sick.

I'll admit that the employers changed in the last 10 years of the 35 I was there. It became management heavy and very low paying. There had been merit raises and bonuses but they changed to everyone getting the same raise and bonus. Once they found that employees would decline health insurance if they had to pay anything they kept raising the employee contribution to get more to decline it. Even with the Affordable Care Act, they would rather pay the penalty than have to pay anything for insurance.

One worker crashed his 4 wheeler breaking his arm, hip and collarbone. He was in a hospital for several days and off work for three months. His medical bills were almost $50,000 at 27 years old. He lost his truck and is still paying for the crashed 4 wheeler.

Sometimes, it's just as easy as caring about your employees.. in my experience at least.

If you show that you will go to bat for your team, your team will go an extra mile for you.

Unfortunately a lot of people just dont give a fuck about their employees. Those are the worst bosses

Yeah Manor real. Make 15 an hour? Good luck renting a room.

As for work places I bust my butt. I've only been rewarded with more work. Lot of old people think it's ok, hey you earned it. Thanks but that's why young people don't work, no reward nor incentives

Fuck yeah you should ask what a job can do for you. Most depressed I've ever been was at a former employers "award ceremony" where they gave this sad fuck a 3 day cruise for 30 years of service to this stinky, shitty, clustered, dangerous machine shop that I worked in.

You don't have to eat shit just because someone puts a spoon of it in front of your face.

Most people get jobs because they need money. I never gave a single shit what I could offer a job, unless I planned to make it a career. People going to work should absolutely ask "where is the ceiling for this job?" and "ultimately, what am I going to get from it?"

Not many people want to work in retail environment for long. Shit. The dude is lucky that people stay for a few years. Even if it's "high end", it's still selling clothes. These people are taking those jobs while looking for a potential career.
This.

Who the hell wants to work any retail job for years????

You know who's work ethic apparently sucks worse then these kids?

Their parents.

Pay low, expect low / shitty output.

Maybe I'm just a control freak and a narcissist, but when I interview for a position at this point in my life, the company has to sell the job to me. When I'm interviewing someone for a position in our company, they have to sell themselves to me. If you are ever in an interview where the company starts selling themselves to you far more than they are asking you questions, there is a good chance you are already in besides the salary negotiations.

This guy has the right idea.

Know how to identify who has the leverage, and you’re gold.

A snot-nosed 22-year old kid fresh out of college and new to the workforce is a dime a dozen and should act that way.

Even the 4.0’s are a dime a dozen but try telling that to a snowflake and they’ll burn a hole through you with their eyes.

I seen a couple of thread threads about this Entitled Gen and just had talk to someone who runs a High End Boutique shop selling High Designer clothes and he stated that he had had to change his approach to dealing with today youth(early 20s just entering the work place). He stated that it is hard to keep younger employees more than 2 to 3 yrs and during the interview process them tend to ask "What Can This Job Offer Me" and he ends up trying to sell them a job, instead of them begging for it, and these are folks that walk into his shop.

Now I remember always being asked "What Can I Bring to Job" and "How Can Help The Company" and "Where Do I See Myself in 5yrs",etc... So it is weird for me to hear him explain his interviewing process where he is Selling the job and this is a job where they can make a thousand a day in commission on top of a good salary.

But does this Gen have the right approach and asking what they are going to get out of a job instead of what they can give to it?

That's what you should be doing in an interview. You should be interviewing the company you work for.

1 millenial has the strength of at least 7 gen xers/boomers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back