This Gen's Work Ethic

If you've got a career that rewards experience with promotion then go all in. If you've got a dumb job be a dummy.

I dont think the work ethic is tied to what an employer can do for me mentality. My daughter 21 just graduated college has great work ethic as well as i do @ 44. We both have the what can an employer do for me mindset. As previously stated companies are no longer loyal to their employees so we need to know whats in it for us. I think if you are in an interview and you are asking questions about career path, work life balance, culture etc. and the interviewer is not appreciating those questions then you should not work there. Talent developement and retention is a big thing for employers now so they should expect those questions and have the proper answers.

Please define this gen as being born between two different years so I know wtf we’re talking about.

I'll tell you one lofty statement about the next generation, coming from my field of work
He construction industry is gonna be FUCKED

Don't get me wrong it's not a nice place to be and it's hard work, I don't need anyone to tell me it's shitty work, but the pays good and the demands high
But these kids coming in... fuck
They literally don't want to do fuck all, and don't care about the end product
They just wanna live off their parents, smoke weed and play video games
...which in all fairness sounds pretty good

Every generation has their lazy people.

But no one has a reason to be loyal to an employer. Not many companies willing to work with people anymore.

I remember the same shit being said about my generation when I entered the workforce, we were all lazy and didn't want to work for your dollar. One of my first jobs out of the army was for a land surveyor, all they did was bust my balls about how lazy I was and that "young people today don't know what hard work is". When I put in my two week notice all they did was cry that I was leaving and I ran into the guy that replaced me about a month after I left and he said "those guys keep telling me I don't work as hard as you and I have some mighty big shoes to fill".

So in about 10 to 15 years all these kids will be sitting around with us at the bar bitching about "young people today have no work ethic". Kinda like in the military where "basic got so much easier after I went through it"

I'm 52 and this is how I approach a job interview. I want them to convince me to take the job. I know what I bring. I also ask about money very close to the beginning of the process. I don't want to waste theirs or my time. I usually ask for much more than they offer but again, I know what I bring and that is my price. If they don't want to pay? I won't accept the position.

You can guarantee our grandparents etc were all saying the exact same thing about us

Its just like music, each generation claims the following has terrible music and is horrible compared to their era

I'm 52 and this is how I approach a job interview. I want them to convince me to take the job. I know what I bring. I also ask about money very close to the beginning of the process. I don't want to waste theirs or my time. I usually ask for much more than they offer but again, I know what I bring and that is my price. If they don't want to pay? I won't accept the position.

The difference there is you're 52 with probably a wealth of knowledge and experience in the job vs a kid who has no skills or experience but has seen everyone on instagram with lambos and expects one given to him as a company car

The difference there is you're 52 with probably a wealth of knowledge and experience in the job vs a kid who has no skills or experience but has seen everyone on instagram with lambos and expects one given to him as a company car

Your example is either hyperbolic, or a tiny fraction of delusional morons.

When I worked for my brother in law (who actually does have a lambo, ironically) he called me "entitled" when I asked for the glassdoor average managers salary during my performance review... despite doing an incredible job, worked tons of overtime (as I was salary and they wouldnt hire any help), never missed a single day of work and our closest competitor (who we are bigger than by far) pays their equivalent manager 25k more. I guarantee they didnt have as much of a workload, responsibility, nor do as good of a job as I did.

Needless to say, were no longer on speaking terms.

Last edited:
Ah, I see what you are saying and even at 52? I can still learn....

I dont think the work ethic is tied to what an employer can do for me mentality. My daughter 21 just graduated college has great work ethic as well as i do @ 44. We both have the what can an employer do for me mindset. As previously stated companies are no longer loyal to their employees so we need to know whats in it for us. I think if you are in an interview and you are asking questions about career path, work life balance, culture etc. and the interviewer is not appreciating those questions then you should not work there. Talent developement and retention is a big thing for employers now so they should expect those questions and have the proper answers.

The biggest problem really is that we've seen a massive growth in low skilled work in sectors like retail. A lot of the middle class basically take the view that these are only jobs done by students, people on the up or maybe part time parents yet the reality is for a lot of people they end up being a permanent career. The way the economies in the US and UK are structured now needs a sizeble part of the population to live just above or in poverty.

Honestly my view is that by en large the younger generation today have been shafted by boomers and Gen-X''s(of which I am one) who benefited from far more favourable conditions and more public investment themselves before taking up the drawbridge to lower their taxs.

You get what you pay for with employing people for low wage jobs. For a career jobs, you should have high expectations and not put up with entitled bullshit. I think part of the problem is people sometimes come from too laid back of work environments..you know this hip, cool whatever goes offices where it's mostly young people in the office and the rules allow them to get away with murder. Then a couple years later they come to a more established company and can't understand why they're held to higher expectations and then cry about it.

This is really it.

What TS doesn't get is that people used to work in sales as a career.

There was a large market shift, particularly in retail clothing over the last few decades that is as big a part of the death of retail as online shopping is.

The big department stores all at the same time started canning ALL of their high wage full benefits full time sales staff.

Because those people don't matter and we can get high school kids in their.

Turns out, sales people with experience and knowledge are actually pretty valuable.

Many people liked going to department stores and walking up to a person they knew who could not only describe the new Fall line to them in perfect detail but knew enough about their order history and fashion to make intelligent recommendations. But when it's a bored student who tells you to just read the tag, why not shop online?

When they got rid of the career sales people and capped wages and removed benefits from sales positions now the only people who can afford to work that job are teens and young adults who aren't paying for their own housing.

And they often don't know and don't care about the products or the clientele.

So JCPenny, Macey's and all the rest as they competed with each other to lay off all their career sales staff and replace them with minimum wage kids all found out at the same time that sales go down and theft goes up when you get rid of all the experienced people who give a crap.

TS doesn't realize that his anecdote about a high end boutique has nothing to do with generational issues and everything to do with what the business owner is offering in pay and benefits.

You get what you pay for with human resources.

Yep. People want you to do more for less AND you do it.. but unless you’re working like a sweatshop slave you’re lazy and an entitled shit

How the hell did you find this thread to revive it?

$5k a week selling clothes and can't retain staff?

Hmm fishy.

$5k a week selling clothes and can't retain staff?

Hmm fishy.

I've got some experiencing places like that, I think.

Up to 1000 a day on commission, such shops are largely empty, normal shoppers do not enter as prices are ridiculous. The shop exists on its employees ability to sell to the odd rich customer that enters. It's a sales job in every sense of the word and not a position for an amateur.

Pay as standard is probably not great either. He's probably looking in the wrong employment pool, general instead of specifically sales people.

I've got some experiencing places like that, I think.

Up to 1000 a day on commission, such shops are largely empty, normal shoppers do not enter as prices are ridiculous. The shop exists on its employees ability to sell to the odd rich customer that enters. It's a sales job in every sense of the word and not a position for an amateur.

Pay as standard is probably not great either. He's probably looking in the wrong employment pool, general instead of specifically sales people.

I once did a trial shits at a job where I could apparently earn up to $500 a day. All commission.
I basically followed his "best guy" around.

He made $26 in about 10 hours.

I kept looking for another job.

Fyi, I wasn't saying it was a job anyone could do, just that it's a far from unpleasant work.

I once did a trial shits at a job where I could apparently earn up to $500 a day. All commission.
I basically followed his "best guy" around.

He made $26 in about 10 hours.

I kept looking for another job.

Fyi, I wasn't saying it was a job anyone could do, just that it's a far from unpleasant work.

Yeah, I fucking hate that shit with a passion only usually viewed in anime.

Because people smartened up and don't want to work like a slave for a company so the CEO can buy his 15th yacht.

Hard work is great when it's a job you care about keeping. If you don't care about keeping it then it's natural to half ass it because in the end, networking and personality beat out hard work when it comes to promotions.
So much truth to this I've seen this happen so much during my 20 plus year working career.

Back