Brian Ortega asked Dana White to be paid for UFC 226

LMFAO @ all the Corporate Slaves siding with the Corporate Master...Fuck, you people are Corporate Cucks.

He did everything he could to fight Max Halloway.....Max Halloway pulled out....He was offered a replacement but it was a risk and he opt not to.

Up to the Max Halloway pull out point...He did everything, promos, media, weight cut etc.....He fucking did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He atleast deserves a bit of paycheck for what he did do....At least the fucking expenses he wasted.

UFC is a crap company, so it doesn't surprise me.
Exactly ffs, he did media so he should be paid for something.

But let's blame the guy that was ready to fight for a title on the weekend

By which outlets? I'm only seeing articles about him getting screwed by the UFC after Khabib pulled out of UFC 209 when I search for his new contract.

A link would be appreciated.

I'm trying to find where it was discussed. I know it was Helwani but I can't quite find it. I remember him going on and on for weeks about how fighters should negotiate for this stuff and Tony being the guy who did. If I can dig up an article or a tweet I'll link it, if I have to watch old MMA Hours to find it I'm giving up though

I fully understand him turning down the last minute fights to wait for a title shot. But it’s mind fucking to me that he was expecting to be paid show money when he turned down two suitable replacements. I feel like anyone with common sense knows that if you opt to wait for a title shot instead of fighting, it comes at the expense of your purse.

Amen, especially when who is actually going to get the shot can change at any minute. Being Ranked #1 doesn't carry any guarantees and throw in injuries, weight issues and "surprise" fighters. Well, we see that picture...

Well said. Boxing actually has multiple viable promotions, and superstars are effectively bigger than the promotions and able to force co-promotion. The landscape is completely different in mma. UFC IS mma in the perception of the casual audience.

exactly. I cringe everytime the mainstream media calls the sport "ultimate fighting"

LMFAO @ all the Corporate Slaves siding with the Corporate Master...Fuck, you people are Corporate Cucks.

He did everything he could to fight Max Halloway.....Max Halloway pulled out....He was offered a replacement but it was a risk and he opt not to.

Up to the Max Halloway pull out point...He did everything, promos, media, weight cut etc.....He fucking did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He atleast deserves a bit of paycheck for what he did do....At least the fucking expenses he wasted.

UFC is a crap company, so it doesn't surprise me.
This x 1000

Why risk everything to Please Dana?

I’m wrong, from which perspective? The fighters? Ortega’s? Or the business? It’s not the same thing. If you’re running an organization with your feelings, then by all means pay the man, and give him a bonus while you’re at it for the psychological trauma of losing a title shot due to Max’s injury.

In the real world, you don’t get paid if you don’t go to work. If my boss sets up a job for me on Friday, and on Wednesday it falls through, but he/she offers me a replacement for the same day, why would I turn it down and expect to get paid?

The independent contractor argument works in my favor. You are right that he signed a contract to fight Max Holloway. Once Holloway pulled out, the contract is over, they do not owe him shit, fighters getting injured is a reality of the sport, just like I could land a huge bid and have the customer pull out at the last minute. His job got cancelled. They offered him two new contracts to fight other people on the same night (so his camp expenses and prep don’t go to waste) and he didn’t take the job.

He decided to play long ball. Fair play to him, but he now eats his expenses for refusing to go to work. Period.

There is 0 argument from a business perspective that the ufc should pay fighters after turning down replacements. If that were the case, every injury would mean one less fight on the card because there’s no insentive to stay on the card since you get paid for not fighting. If that is what you’re advocating for, where do we draw the line? What if max pulls out a week before? Then does Ortega get paid? What if he signs the fight context now for a fight in October and Max isn’t cleared in July. Does Ortega get paid anyway, even though he had three months to fight someone else? Where do we draw the line?

Good explanation. Most people complaining don’t have an understanding of how independent contractors work.

If a company contracts me for a job, I can pull all the necessary steps to prepare for it. Hire more employees, equipment, etc. That’s my business, my costs, my assets. Those are my investments to do the job, not the hiring company’s.

If something happens and the job isn’t there anymore, the company isn’t going to pay me. It wasn’t their fault either. In this case, the company even went out and found AND offered a different job.

Ortega, himself, turned it down for “business” reasons. He should understand. He’s even invested in illegal PEDs so he understands the cutthroat nature of business.

Last edited:
Most of you are brainwashed.. he should get partially paid, even if he opts not to fight last minute replacements.

Back in africa I learned that poor people will perform any trick of your choice for just a bag of m&m's. I think that's the approach the UFC should use when dealing with fighters. They have become too spoiled
Careful, your IQ is showing....

He should be paid. Put in a ton of work and spent money to get to the fight. Not his fault Max Holloway dropped out.

Max should pay him to cover his training costs, at least. It would discourage huge dehydration if fighters guilty of that cult practice must pull out.

He should be paid. Put in a ton of work and spent money to get to the fight. Not his fault Max Holloway dropped out.

Ortega considers himself a business, and he is.

If I start a business, is someone going to pay me for all the employees, training and equipment that I spent on when I can’t find work for my business?

Sure, the nice/generous thing to do is to give him something for his investment and they did. They found and offered him work. They weren’t obligated to.

He turned it down to wait on a more lucrative job in the future. He even stated that it was a business decision.

And that is all agreed to before the plumber even gets in his truck.

If it isn’t in the contract, it isn’t in the contract.

Ortega should have took the fight with Jeremy. He fucked up, lowered his stock, pissed off his boss, lost fans etc.... all because he didn’t want to fight someone who he will fight eventually anyway.

The ufc was willing to make it an interim title fight. Ortega should have jumped on it.

It was an outstanding opportunity to further his career and put his relationship with the ufc and Dana in a position for easier negotiations for better pay and preferential future treatment.
hey i dont disagree with you at all. im just saying if they wanted to be fair, they could pay for the fighters travel and shit if they made it to the venue.

i get he was offered a fight and he should have played ball. i also understand if you pay him then like someone said earlier then you have to deal with people always refusing substitute fights.

He sings la bamba pretty good

Maybe he should change his name to Bryan o’reilly

Back