Muay Thai bagwork

Lucas Coradini

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
So I decided to fight at the next state championship which will happen in august 4th (25 days). It will be at the ProAm class (5x2 min rounds). Definitely not in the best shape of my life, but with shin pads and elbow pads I'm not TOO worried about dying lol and after more than a year without fighting and training sporadically I just NEEDED to kickstart a comeback and get in shape again and fighting again before I'm too old and sorry. Gonna try to upload this thread daily if anybody is interested.

About the session: I warmed up for 10 min without much structure, just shadowboxing mixed with some dynamic stretching. After that I did 200 teeps and 200 knees in the bag, and then I hit the bag freely for 10 rounds (5, rest 3 min, +5). The video above is an extra round I did after that.

Ps: The preparation for this fight WILL NOT BE just myself hitting the bag alone. The thing is that I'm at the countryside visiting my mother and decided I would not wait until I return (tomorrow night) to start training. After that I'll be joining the best team in the state, but that gives me one more lonely session with the bag so feel free to give me suggestions and criticism. Bye!

Nice i am interested keep it up guy i can't wait for the fight videos. <{JustBleed}>

So I decided to fight at the next state championship which will happen in august 4th (25 days). It will be at the ProAm class (5x2 min rounds). Definitely not in the best shape of my life, but with shin pads and elbow pads I'm not TOO worried about dying lol and after more than a year without fighting and training sporadically I just NEEDED to kickstart a comeback and get in shape again and fighting again before I'm too old and sorry. Gonna try to upload this thread daily if anybody is interested.

About the session: I warmed up for 10 min without much structure, just shadowboxing mixed with some dynamic stretching. After that I did 200 teeps and 200 knees in the bag, and then I hit the bag freely for 10 rounds (5, rest 3 min, +5). The video above is an extra round I did after that.

Ps: The preparation for this fight WILL NOT BE just myself hitting the bag alone. The thing is that I'm at the countryside visiting my mother and decided I would not wait until I return (tomorrow night) to start training. After that I'll be joining the best team in the state, but that gives me one more lonely session with the bag so feel free to give me suggestions and criticism. Bye!

I'm going to copy that training regiment, seems pretty good.

look good on the bag

1 yr off, this fight will be a good welcome back

great control and technique on your kicks.

Thanks, guys

I'm going to copy that training regiment, seems pretty good.

Well, if you put roadwork and skipping before, and then padwork, sparring, clinching and some calisthenics after it's the thai way and pretty much what I'll be doing after I join the team I told :)

@SAAMAG Am I better now at leading with my hips when kicking? @Sinister How is my "bullshitting in the ring" looking (viking thread reference)? come at me, bros

Very explosive, powerful, pretty crisp technique, good speed. You look like a dangerous guy to fight. Great switch kick and love the shin block hold after kicking with either side (wasn't that in a video somewhere in another thread?).

It's always hard to comment on tendencies during bagwork, especially with someone as good as you, because we have our own styles and we work on different things at different times. We would definitely need to see more sparring/shadowboxing/padwork and so on to get a feel for where your holes are.

If I had to critique anything, I'd highlight two things. Now this may, or may not be useful, but you can decide that on your own. First thing is that after firing your chin comes up a few times and you relax as you are in range and stationary. I know if it's a power workout you're not worried about that, but it's something to be aware of. The second is that you are very stop and go. You have one speed and that's fast. Breaking up your rhythm, feinting more and using some throwaway shots to set things up and changing your tempo would probably help you become less predictable.

Keep us posted and good luck! If you'd want to post a few of your latest fights that would probably be good as well to find out what you have difficulties with!

Interesting... as varying the tempo is one of the things I think about and try to do as much as I can, ja! But maybe is just that we have a different understanding of what is comes to be.

The combo at 40s of the clip is the most pronounced example of what I'm talking about.

About letting my chin hanging up: yes, man... I just can't help myself lol I've been hit with the stupidest shit because of it.

Gotta work harder on that!

Switch kick is a bit unbalanced, specially the first few times. Maybe you just needed to find your flow.

Lazy defense after roundhouse, hands dropping. Maybe you just reset for the bag work, but i would prefer to see you keep your defense up for a sec after the kick. Then take your distance, then drop the defense to reset.
Would like to see some double kicks.
Would like to see another strike after the roundhouses as a combo.

Left knee inside the clinch needs work compared to the right one.

Would like to see some power teeps, but you said you threw them before the bag work so it's understandable they are missing.

At 0:23, you do a combo with rear body hook, front body hook, then jab/long guard. During your hooks you are wide open to the head. Personally I don't like body hooks for MT. Even worst for me is to start with the rear hand, and even worst to continue with another body hook... I believe you are wide open during that time for elbows. I know a lot of people have different views on the matter, but just my opinion.

Yellow card from me for the 1:22...

Really nice technique and power in general, and as Sano said, it's really hard to judge from a bagwork after a full workout.

Lazy defense after roundhouse, hands dropping.
Yes, I see. Gonna be careful of it next time.

Would like to see some double kicks.
Would like to see another strike after the roundhouses as a combo.
Noted for the next one ✔️

Would like to see some power teeps
I always use power teeps with my rear leg in my fights, but rarely practices them. Strange. And vice versa with the lead teep.

In my latest fights I've found success with them body hooks. I think it's a matter of timing, you know? Like, if your opponent is shelling up, and after catching kicks (catch, unbalance, slam the body).

Yellow card from me for the 1:22...

<24>

Really nice technique and power in general, and as Sano said, it's really hard to judge from a bagwork after a full workout.
Thanks, man. Tomorrow I'm joining training with a team. Not sure if I'll be able to film shit, but if I can't I'll go to another gym at night to work on these specifics you sherdog folks pointed

Last edited:
In my latest fights I've found success with them body hooks. I think it's a matter of timing, you know? Like, if your opponent is shelling up, and after catching kicks (catch, unbalance, slam the body).

If it works for you, by all means, keep doing it. But put yourself in the place of your opponent, or the bag. What do you see? I see a guy who is close to me, lower, and with his head wide open. It's a great window for a elbow/hook to the head, a free clinch control or even a knee.
Of course your hooks may do enough damage to keep me from taking advantage of the opportunity, plus you have fast hands/combo so the window is very small, and I like your "control" jab at the end that gives you another safety net.
And as you mentioned, timing is key.

Anyway, I just wanted to point the risk. And good luck with the rest of your training...

TRIGGERED

You have no idea how much...

Make sure that you are announced "this man is a SHERDOG fighter..." ;)

Make sure that you are announced "this man is a SHERDOG fighter..." ;)
thats a bad idea they would figure out quickly he is a poster on the stand up sub forum, and would subsequently be tackled and snu snued to death before the fight.
I would recommend announcing that he is a rmayberry regular so he would be instantly freindzoned by all the women in the audience and have a chance at getting an iPad as well.

Interesting... as varying the tempo is one of the things I think about and try to do as much as I can, ja! But maybe is just that we have a different understanding of what is comes to be.

The combo at 40s of the clip is the most pronounced example of what I'm talking about.

About letting my chin hanging up: yes, man... I just can't help myself lol I've been hit with the stupidest shit because of it.

Gotta work harder on that!
Yeah I see what you mean. I was conflating tempo with the other things. Hmm let me try to explain it as best as I can. It's not that it's necesarily a lack in variety of attacks, but most of it is combination, stop, kick, stop, feint, block and kick, stop, combination, stop. All full power. That is what I mean with stop and go, most of the moves are seperate sequences. You are definitely training your explosiveness, and you are very explosive, so it's a good power sessions. Yet, what I'm talking about are double or triple jabs, same side attacks with your hands, long guard and then coming over the top with the elbows or long guard angling out, side stepping, speed changes and soft stuff so set up the hard stuff, so on. An example is the fight you posted with your opponent walking you down and controlling you in the clinch. I know you've been working on your clinch, but that aside. What made it possible for him was that, despite your obvious power advantage with your hands, you threw your shots and then there was a lull. He survived the power early, which I doubt most can, but from that point he could easily walk forward during the lulls as there was nothing stopping him. I think staying a bit more active in between your power shots and making him react, setting stuff up and giving a few different looks while sometimes angling out might have helped.

Now, back to my original statement with this may or may not be useful for you. These things are boxing principles. I don't think you necessarily need to change all that much, and I understand that there are style differences. No need to muddle the waters unnecessarily. An obvious one you could do though is double up on your left hook meaning after you go to the body sometimes, go upstair with it too. You have a very powerful hook, so if you remember to tuck your chin and make it a little tighter, in regards to what ARIZE is talking about with being open, then I think that would be a good move for you. That and maybe sometimes use your jab more actively between combinations.

Last edited:
@zapataxiv I just want to know what snu snued means?
@Hotora86 yes, man. That's what I am, above all else. In 2010 (I guess) I posted a thread named "critique my low kicks" and it changed my life. For real.
@Sano I love doubling and even tripling the hook going up and down. Maybe I was just too tired to go for it in that session. Same with multiple kicks.
@ARIZE gotcha I'll try to compile a short clip of those instances when I used them successfully. Just for the sake of reference and exchanging ideas

So today was the first day with the team I'll be training for this fight and man it was TOUGH. It was a long ass traditional muay thai session and I held my own until it came clinch time which was the last thing (only calisthenics after). I was absolutely manhandled. There were three guys to clinch and everyone had range and weight on me. I'm dead tired laying on the floor of my room, contemplating the blankness of the white walls. I need a nap

Ah, I'll still do some bagwork at night and get some clips

Back