Official Judo Thread

attaboy! how does your ankle feel?

The only part that doesn't hurt.
Sankyus wear green at this club (I'm still rocking the nikyu brown) and those boys put a target on my back in randori (all of them 18-25)

Any tips on how to get the most out of randori with a bjj guy that is older (40+ but relatively new to judo), heavier and just kind of stalls using grips except for the odd counter?

The size difference and my own lack of skill means I'm probably not gonna throw this dude. But he's to hesitant to really attack me. He's passive in bjj too, but will never concede positon.

Last edited:
maybe use him to work on your grip fighting. fight like hell to avoid him getting grips he is comfortable stalling from

maybe use him to work on your grip fighting. fight like hell to avoid him getting grips he is comfortable stalling from

This.

Get your grip first and move, keep the initiative and your (faster) pace

Any tips on how to get the most out of randori with a bjj guy that is older (40+ but relatively new to judo), heavier and just kind of stalls using grips except for the odd counter?

The size difference and my own lack of skill means I'm probably not gonna throw this dude. But he's to hesitant to really attack me. He's passive in bjj too, but will never concede positon.

you seriously just need to spend like 3-6 months only doing seoi nage. morote or ippon, whatever feels comfortable. it's a nice throw because it's one you can force, but one that still relies on proper mechanics and position. there's a reason it's the first throw you learn. i totally get wanting to improve and wanting guidance and shit like that, but seriously dude, just go do nothing but seoi nage. drill the fuck out of it. as you start to 'get' it, the rest of your judo should come together.

you seriously just need to spend like 3-6 months only doing seoi nage. morote or ippon, whatever feels comfortable. it's a nice throw because it's one you can force, but one that still relies on proper mechanics and position. there's a reason it's the first throw you learn. i totally get wanting to improve and wanting guidance and shit like that, but seriously dude, just go do nothing but seoi nage. drill the fuck out of it. as you start to 'get' it, the rest of your judo should come together.

If he's a jitz guy who hunches over with hips back, work on an overhand russian sumigaeshi/Taniotoshi series combo.

That was money for me on my first day at BJJ, threw the Brown Belt assistant coach (and got smoked on the ground, with no mercy....and that's how I loved my club)

I actually did try a sacrifice throw and it didnt work too well. My timing was off and he landed on top.

I have been drilling seoi nage. I realized it was going to take a long to get half decent at it but that's ok. I have felt some improvement compared to last year.

I'm more frustrated by passive training partners than anything. I sometimes wonder if I should say something.

Last edited:
I actually did try a sacrifice throw and it didnt work too well. My timing was off and he landed on top.

I have been drilling seoi nage. I realized it was going to take a long to get half decent at it but that's ok. I have felt some improvement compared to last year.

I'm more frustrated by passive training partners than anything. I sometimes wonder if I should say something.

Defensive partners are unfortunately next to useless. Normally I wouldn't advise it for learning but you may just have to do lots of grip fighting and advantageous grips just so things can get moving again. Doing things the traditional way would be very hard at this stage.

I accidentally opened this account and now the other doesnt work.

Last edited:

Morote feels very uncomfortable for me, I have long arms and when I bring the elbow across I feel a lot of discomfort in my shoulder/elbow/wrist.

Especially on shorter people.

me too, i totally cheat and just baseball grip. long-ass gaijin arms weren't made for orthodox morote.

IJF President Marius Vizer is hosting a live Twitter Q&A on Wednesday 11 July at 3pm UK/4pm Budapest time. Use #AskVizer to join in.

Attachments

• facebook_BUDAPEST_iulie 2018.jpg
    facebook_BUDAPEST_iulie 2018.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 0
giphy.gif

S
4. Big one is that nothing you are doing is really making kuzushi other than your actual attacks, but no problem in this video because your opponent is giving you plenty of self-kuzushi. Attacking with an end technique to make kuzushi is a valid strategy but also very tiring. Eventually you'd want more tools.

I assume the end tech means what the uchi-komi is. As in, for example with osoto gari, when you do the upper body lifting motion, step in with the reap without making contact, and going down the length of the mat with your partner.

If that action from the uchi komi is not enough kuzushi, then what are ways to make kuzushi before going into throw? If its just get opponent moving, then I assume the options are jacket tug-o-war, pushing contests, herky jerky, or the spinaroo ( Like the game we played as kids, in which you try and spin the other kid around your center line. You can actually get people to fall like that if you spin then fast enough)

I assume the end tech means what the uchi-komi is. As in, for example with osoto gari, when you do the upper body lifting motion, step in with the reap without making contact, and going down the length of the mat with your partner.

If that action from the uchi komi is not enough kuzushi, then what are ways to make kuzushi before going into throw? If its just get opponent moving, then I assume the options are jacket tug-o-war, pushing contests, herky jerky, or the spinaroo ( Like the game we played as kids, in which you try and spin the other kid around your center line. You can actually get people to fall like that if you spin then fast enough)

This is really the meat of Judo (and as I'm learning now, wrestling too), and can't easily be answered in a post. Nor do I feel like I know enough to speak comprehensively for all the ways you could make kuzushi.

But there are plenty of videos available where various champions demonstrating how they enter their throws. It could be simple like a push, or really creative like Lee Won Hee's left tai otoshi which takes advantage of uke wanting to hold the sleeve grip.

All the rules in Judo made me want to shoot the instructor. If you are winning on penalties just stall.

Back