Brian Ortega asked Dana White to be paid for UFC 226

If UFC pays fighters when their opponent pulls out, no fighter will ever accept a replacement fight again.
This is only an issue for those that pullout fightweek. If its before then, dont pay them if they turn it down. If its within a week pay them 50% of show money at least and move on. Id hope he was paid for his embedded time.

If a fighter pulls out, and a replacement can't be found. Then yeah i'd say pay the guy. But he chose to sit out and wait, which I still fully defend btw and don't fault him for given his position i'd likely wait out the championship fight too. But yeah, with being offered a replacement and declining, i'm with Dana for once in that I don't think poorly of them for choosing not to pay ortega on this occasion. Ortega had the choice of getting paid that night, or waiting for the title fight.

LMFAO @ all the Corporate Slaves siding with the Corporate Master...Fuck, you people are Corporate Cucks.

He did everything he could to fight Max Halloway.....Max Halloway pulled out....He was offered a replacement but it was a risk and he opt not to.

Up to the Max Halloway pull out point...He did everything, promos, media, weight cut etc.....He fucking did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He atleast deserves a bit of paycheck for what he did do....At least the fucking expenses he wasted.

UFC is a crap company, so it doesn't surprise me.
This, Ortega was fullfilling his part of the contract, the UFC wanted to change the contract, Ortega refused, the UFC broke the contract, they should definitely compensate him. This should already be in fighters contracts

LMFAO @ all the Corporate Slaves siding with the Corporate Master...Fuck, you people are Corporate Cucks.

He did everything he could to fight Max Halloway.....Max Halloway pulled out....He was offered a replacement but it was a risk and he opt not to.

Up to the Max Halloway pull out point...He did everything, promos, media, weight cut etc.....He fucking did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He atleast deserves a bit of paycheck for what he did do....At least the fucking expenses he wasted.

UFC is a crap company, so it doesn't surprise me.
Yeah it's not like Holloway pulled out a month ago. It was 3 days before a title fight.
They should at least give him 10-20% of his show money for the time his camp since he was ready to go.
I don't see how people are shitting on him for not taking a non title fight with Stephens.

So if you get ready for work in the morning make your commute get there and they say nevermind no work today you are cool with getting nothing for that?

Now imagine you been dieting and miserable cutting weight for weeks then get nothing.

I understand not getting full pay but there should be some sort of compensation
That’s not what happened. He could have worked, but chose not to, and then asked for compensation.

That’s not what happened. He could have worked, but chose not to, and then asked for compensation.
Technically he did work. He showed up for all the media and shit before the fight. He should get paid for that, regardless of how little it is. UFC typical greedy assholes who try to make you do all the work, but take the biggest cut when it comes down to how much your fight sells. If they want people to self promote for free, then who the fuck needs a promotion? If people are coming to see me fight, give me the money. USA and their typical shady business practices of robbing people of their money.

If I don't goto work I don't get paid.. oh yes I do, my union worked that out for me. Ortega should look into that.

and they shouldn't. in 3 days notice? you guys defending how the ufc acts in this regard are being ridiculous. I'm not saying all his show money, but I don't know, 25% of it?

This is pretty much what I thought.
25 - 35% seems fair.

Plus, honestly sometimes I feel like there is collusion - Dana manufacturing a situation to try to force a fighters hand

There's not taking a last minute replacement for "a fight", and then there's not taking a last minute replacement for a TITLE FIGHT. These things are not the same. Training for a 5 round fight vs the champ isn't the same as training for random fight with Jermey Stephens.

And what goes around can come around.
It doesn't make any sense to take hardline stances with a young, undefeated guy that could end up being your next champ and future star. He could become champ and pull Conor level bullshit, or become a headache to work with like Tyron, and short of stripping them, there's nothing the UFC could do about it.
Some compensation isn't an unreasonable request

They shouldn't have to pay his full purse, but he should get something to help pay for his training expenses as well as the media he did.

People are still talking about what a multi billion dollar company should do? They're only going to do what their rigged contracts say they have to do.

If the UFC can't give a replacement fight then of course you pay. The situation becomes more nuanced once the fighter refuses all replacements. I don't think the solution is found from either party here.

To be fair, we still know very little of Max Holloway's situation. And before 226 we knew nothing at all. Max can be out for a month, for all we know. Ortega may have thought that they may fight for the belt on the next PPV or something.

That is true, but all unknown. What was known is that if he fought Jeremy for the interim title, which is what was offered, and he won, he absolutely would of been the interim champ.

Ortega could have made a good amount of money, won the interim title, saved the card, gained fans, made the UFC and Dana happy which absolutely would have paid off in the future etc... but instead he pissed off the UFC and Dana, lost fans, didn't get the interim belt, made zero money (even lost money because he still has to pay for his camp etc...) and all for what????? For maybe another chance at the title in the future of some unknown time frame. And he would probably have to fight Jeremy eventually anyway.

Ortega walked away from an amazing opportunity and all he had to do was beat a guy who is lower ranked and didn't even have a training camp to get it.

Doesn't get much better than that.

Back