Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Do olympians get paid a lot? Because there are many women in boxing, judo,wrestling and taekwondo that are around Kayla’s size.

Nope. Really it depends on the federation, the USOC (assuming America) and how well they do. But Judo in the USA, for example, is not exactly a money-maker for the athletes. Track and field has far more money to spread around. All about business, and the "marquee" sports get more money via greater add revenue.

If you are a fencer on the Italian national team, for example, you do pretty well. Here, well, people expect fencers to work on their damn yard.

So Cat Zingano is fighting Marion Reneau this weekend, the first time since 2010 that Cat has fought more than once in a year. Can Cat break her skid or has the game passed her by?
Marion Reneau has looked fantastic lately and is currently on summer vacation from her high school teaching/coaching job so she can devote full time to this camp unlike some of her previous bouts. My money will be on The Belizean Bruiser.

Marion also seems to have actual power that’s pretty rare in her division.

Do olympians get paid a lot? Because there are many women in boxing, judo,wrestling and taekwondo that are around Kayla’s size.
I am not sure about foreign Olympians but according to Ronda USA Olympians don't get paid at all or at least very minimally. She was living out of her car after the Olympics. Which is why she went into MMA.

Most UFC contracts offer 3 fights a year - obviously not a calendar year but the anniversary of signing - if you turn down a fight that's on you, but if they don't offer 3 fights you get paid show money for the missed fight, that's what I understand anyway.
In my understanding, you can terminate the contract if UFC can't offer you promised number of fights per year.

UFC doesn't pay you shit when they can't offer you fights, otherwise Andrade wouldn't come out saying she can't get a fight & she needs money.

The minimum for a UFC fight should be 20 or 25k. Negotiate from there.

If you're not worth 25k a fight, you shouldn't be in the fucking UFC.

In lots of countries, government will provide free college education & employment opportunities to olympians. They don't get paid huge amount of money directly, but most of them can get well-paid stable jobs in their country.

In my understanding, you can terminate the contract if UFC can't offer you promised number of fights per year.

UFC doesn't pay you shit when they can't offer you fights, otherwise Andrade wouldn't come out saying she can't get a fight & she needs money.

Lol, Andrade's gf must be high maintenance, she's picked up $400k in the last 18 months, plus the $10 Reebok money, 30k at Dallas

So the Tuf Featherweight list has been confirmed, only change is Bea Malecki now has 2 pro wins.

I didn't see this posted before, so here's three episodes of a new WMMA podcast associated with MMA-Today.com:

Yeah, that’s Drake’s aka homeless infant’s podcast. It’s okay. It’s no WMMA Scene Now on YouTube, however ;)

Not at all - they get paid probably less than any other major country's Olympians. Why many wrestlers are making the transition to MMA - both male and female.

So I think Holly will have to wait until next year...

Nope. Really it depends on the federation, the USOC (assuming America) and how well they do. But Judo in the USA, for example, is not exactly a money-maker for the athletes. Track and field has far more money to spread around. All about business, and the "marquee" sports get more money via greater add revenue.

If you are a fencer on the Italian national team, for example, you do pretty well. Here, well, people expect fencers to work on their damn yard.

It's outrageous, making fencers trim their hedges with equipment they use in the Olympics. :)

Lol, Andrade's gf must be high maintenance, she's picked up $400k in the last 18 months, plus the $10 Reebok money, 30k at Dallas

She mentioned building a gym for the poor in her area. People have made 10 or even 100 times that and blown through it without sound financial planning.

Can Cyborg even make weight in 8 weeks?

She made weight for 222 in around 3 weeks, so I guess. Anyway Cris is now campaigning to fight Pam Sorensen at 228, that's more her kind of fight.

Cyborg fans are brilliant though, Nunes is ducking by signing to fight.

. Anyway Cris is now campaigning to fight Pam Sorensen at 228, that's more her kind of fight.

Whaaaaaaaa

Sorenson is not a match for Cyborg absolutely anywhere. It's not interesting in any way

Pam Sorenson is such a strange fight for her to campaign for. Like I could name 5 natural featherweights that would be more competitive than that.

Back