Anything interesting in WWE today?

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm 30+ years old and last thing from WWE I remember was Stone Cold, Kane, The Rock being bad guy and Generation X.
Of course I heard about big names than came after - I know John Cena, and I see some Roman Reigns related t-shirts, memes and stuff - but I did not follow.

So fro my understanding, WWE now STILL appeals to grown up audience.
So I found this segment, and I don't understand why, or how, grown up people watch it:

Maybe this is not a good example?

Can you guys please send me some segments that really represent WWE of today?

Thank you

It's shit. All shit.

Only watch if you want to complain about it weekly like the rest of us degenerates.

It's garbage. If you haven't watched since the AE, it will seem watered down to a ridiculous degree. The shock would be akin to if HBO decided to make "Game Of Thrones" G-rated.

Older fans watch out of habit, and hold out the slimmest of hopes that it will someday resemble the glory days of the late 90's. You pretty much hate-watch it, force yourself to get into it, and try to convince yourself that 99% of it isn't absolutely cringe inducing dog shit, that you'd be embarrassed to be caught watching by anyone older than 10.

In short, no. It's awful. You're not "not getting it". It's just plain bad

Regular WWE is mostly bad but NXT is very good. You might enjoy it. Sign up for a month/quarter free on the Network.

If you want the ‘main’ product, watch Smackdown not Raw (fucking bad).

PPVs are generally fairly good.

NJPW is fairly good - Jericho is insane and they have a different vibe.

Oh and your clip has four of the best wrestlers (promos included) in the company.

It's all unwatchable. Even the "good" stuff is boring.
Watch Stringer Bell getting killed instead...

Regular WWE is mostly bad but NXT is very good. You might enjoy it. Sign up for a month/quarter free on the Network.

I'll give it a shot, just for the interest.
Is this the most popular show?

If you want the ‘main’ product, watch Smackdown not Raw (fucking bad).

I double checked now, the segment I found was from Smackdown...

NJPW is fairly good - Jericho is insane and they have a different vibe.

My interest was specifically about WWE.
I understand that the majority of WWE watchers are still grown ups, not kids.
So I tried to understand what drives all of them. Nostalgia only?

Oh and your clip has four of the best wrestlers (promos included) in the company.

Really? That's not good....because the whole segment was AWFUL. AWFUL

Watch Stringer Bell getting killed instead...

Never actually saw The Wire. Missed it.

Is it something I can watch with my wife? She loves good plot, but doesn't like when things get too "meaty". She could barely watch Breaking Bad...

Hi guys,

I'm 30+ years old and last thing from WWE I remember was Stone Cold, Kane, The Rock being bad guy and Generation X.
Of course I heard about big names than came after - I know John Cena, and I see some Roman Reigns related t-shirts, memes and stuff - but I did not follow.

So fro my understanding, WWE now STILL appeals to grown up audience.
So I found this segment, and I don't understand why, or how, grown up people watch it:

Maybe this is not a good example?

Can you guys please send me some segments that really represent WWE of today?

Thank you

Hey, so I’m 30 now and just getting back into pro wrestling recently myself. I haven’t been watching Raw or SD any yet, but rather catching up via Youtube and watching Kenny Omega light shit up. That dude is awesome.

Anyway, I was actually entertained by the clip you posted. Nakamura’s broken Engrish is actually endearing and humorous, especially calling KO and Zayn rosers hahah. And the audience throwing Zane’s “Yep,” back in his face after mocking him previously actually made me laugh out loud.

None of these guys are Flair or The Rock on the mic, but it was still entertaining, to me.

Never actually saw The Wire. Missed it.

Is it something I can watch with my wife? She loves good plot, but doesn't like when things get too "meaty". She could barely watch Breaking Bad...

Not as depressing as BB.

Hehe this big brawl surely was staged by the same guy who staged Lesnar-DC.
Also "this is getting personal" comments really remind me of fabricated UFC feuds.

I was more referring to the promos/storylines though...I'm sure they know how to perform in the ring...

Anyway, I was actually entertained by the clip you posted. Nakamura’s broken Engrish is actually endearing and humorous, especially calling KO and Zayn rosers hahah. And the audience throwing Zane’s “Yep,” back in his face after mocking him previously actually made me laugh out loud.

None of these guys are Flair or The Rock on the mic, but it was still entertaining, to me.

Well, so maybe that's just a question of taste and there ARE a lot of people that do enjoy it.

Well, so maybe that's just a question of taste and there ARE a lot of people that do enjoy it.
To be fair, I don’t think it was a high watermark of pro Wrestling. The WWE is at an all time low, creatively. Their in-ring talent is pretty wild though, it seems.

To be fair, I don’t think it was a high watermark of pro Wrestling. The WWE is at an all time low, creatively. Their in-ring talent is pretty wild though, it seems.
Which is really sad.

Watch the AE and notice the 4 min matches. We had less wrestling, but the stories were way more interesting.
Now we have good matches, but the stories are bleh as fuck. Which affects the matches, since we don't get the winner we want.

Which is really sad.

Watch the AE and notice the 4 min matches. We had less wrestling, but the stories were way more interesting.
Now we have good matches, but the stories are bleh as fuck. Which affects the matches, since we don't get the winner we want.

Are matches better than in the 90s?
The best were Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels - right? Are these guys better than them in the ring?

The best were Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels - right? Are these guys better than them in the ring?
Yea you basically named two guys that were above everyone else substantially at the time. But times have changed and everyone knows a million moves now. So if you brought back the talent now back then against Bret and Shawn, you'd have some amazing matches.

HBK is one of the top 3 wrestlers of all time, so it's not fair to compare, but when you got fatass KO doing shit like this, it's not really comparable to Road Dogg's Shimmy punches of the AE.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The quantity of good matches is definitely better today. The product is focused on the athleticism more than anything else, so you do routinely see mid-card matches that would outshine the majority of main events of the past, in quality and crispness.

Here's the rub though. They all look the same after a while. If you've seen one five star match of today, you've seen them all. There are no distinct styles between them all, save for the big men, and the few here and there that aren't acrobats. 90% of it is all more or less the same shit, and it all becomes white noise after a while. On top of that, despite the moves and athleticism required to pull them off being legitimately incredible, very few have any ring psychology, and most of the matches come off like technical showcases with no emotion or story to it. Both guys(or gals) are in there just trading moves, like they're trying out for a spot on the roster. Having the guys go at 100% all the time, just waters down the overall product.

Yea you basically named two guys that were above everyone else substantially at the time. But times have changed and everyone knows a million moves now. So if you brought back the talent now back then against Bret and Shawn, you'd have some amazing matches.

HBK is one of the top 3 wrestlers of all time, so it's not fair to compare, but when you got fatass KO doing shit like this, it's not really comparable to Road Dogg's Shimmy punches of the AE.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Yeah, I definitely don't remember fat guys moving like that. His looks are deceiving.
This looked like light heavyweight division that was back then, there were some really light Japanese guys that did this stuff.

So his in ring skills make his fans kinda forgive him for being boring on the mic?

The quantity of good matches is definitely better today. The product is focused on the athleticism more than anything else, so you do routinely see mid-card matches that would outshine the majority of main events of the past, in quality and crispness.

Here's the rub though. They all look the same after a while. If you've seen one five star match of today, you've seen them all. There are no distinct styles between them all, save for the big men, and the few here and there that aren't acrobats. 90% of it is all more or less the same shit, and it all becomes white noise after a while. On top of that, despite the moves and athleticism required to pull them off being legitimately incredible, very few have any ring psychology, and most of the matches come off like technical showcases with no emotion or story to it. Both guys(or gals) are in there just trading moves, like they're trying out for a spot on the roster. Having the guys go at 100% all the time, just waters down the overall product.

So the WWE fans of today just appreciate the acrobatics and that's it? Like going to the circus much?

Back