This NFL thing has made owner of Papa John's lose his damn mind. N bombs now.

Papa John's sucks, although I do like the pepperoncini they give you with your pizza. I wish mom & pop shops would do that more often.

Discussing race relations in America as a white person in any capacity is stupid. Unless you basically call yourself the worst person ever and suck off minorities, you will be called racist. Just stay away from the topic.

Papa John's sucks, although I do like the pepperoncini they give you with your pizza. I wish mom & pop shops would do that more often.
That used to be standard back in the day when everything was better than it is now because Obama fucked up America's pepperoncini game

While they make better pizza than Dominoes, Pizza Hut, or Little Ceasar's, you really shouldn't be throwing around language like that. Aside from it being in extremely poor taste due to the hateful history of the word, it's invariably going to damage your reputation and that of your business. As the leader of said business, you really need to consider the interests of your company and the people who work for it before you open your mouth and go on a racial tirade. Stepping down seems like the appropriate decision that serves the best interests of everyone else at Papa John's, innocent people who didn't say something incredibly stupid and hateful in front of a large group of people.

Our society is so progressive and advance the outrage levels over a word is outstanding, good job left.

What an awful song. Who listen to this?

Anyway. I´m a bit conflicted with all this ´what should or would´ I say in the context of the situation. A while back they invited 2 asian and 2 african people to the biggest swedish channel discussing the use of race in a non harmful way as us Swedes would describe it. 2 very iconic words that has been with me since I was a child is no more and me personally think it´s kind of sad the words are no more, but the items are still there but with new names and logo. The 2 are as follows.

Negerbulle, roughly translated to english is negro ball. The new word is chokoladbulle (chocolate balls)

20120619-124456.jpg

KinaPuff, roughly translated to english is ching chong. The new word is Kina Snacks.( The iconic logo has also been erased)

The old one

kinapuff.jpg

and the new one

74b9bf67-ba17-473d-9cd5-56e88451cca8.png

The programleader tried to make it a frankly discussion and the 2 asians thought it didn´t bother them at all when asked about the portrayal of the common asian with the rice hat and slanted eyes. But when the focus came to the africans it became very serious. They thought it was very racist to use negro ball and they felt ashame to live in Sweden, a country they fled to because of the good reputation.

Yeah they really said that last part, and I thought that was quite comical. My first reaction was `how dare you`.

My honest qusetion to you is. Are black people more sensitive than other races?

Eh... that's happened everywhere.
Golliwog biscuits got renamed as Scalliwags.
355493-small.jpg

scallypack.jpg
:eek::eek::eek:s got renamed as Fads (although apparently it's still ok to sell lolly cigarettes to children).
https://longwhitekid.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/:eek::eek::eek:s-cropped-noise.jpg?w=604&h=836
FADS_1990s.jpg

We do still have Chico Babies, Redskins and Eskimo Pie... but who knows for how long.

Such outrage! All over a little word. What a bunch of snowflake :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s.

Being able to say the n-word freely, which is basically why he complained that Colonel Sanders got away with it.
This is "basically" a terrible reading, and a strawman.
<Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

'Its just not fair mom, why cant I say racial slurs!!!!'
Except that not all races are judged or treated equally by this "rule". That is discrimination. I have never seen a black man ran off a company he founded/owned for using this word in a business environment, and especially with a context like this. "Context is king", they say, unless you have a tidy jpeg that culturally institutionalizes-- culturalizes?-- racism against whites. Then leftists are happy. Buzzword labels. Much thought.

There is literally a jpeg that explains, "Here why context is never king." I cannot abide that.

Liberals and Democrats refuse to argue this because they cannot argue it, and they know it to not be virtuous, but they love what we have allowed this to become. They have "weaponized" the word (yes, I'm going to keep appropriating the liberal lexicon to throw back at them). Everyone seems to have forgotten why we originally stigmatized this word so deeply. It was meant to highlight the hateful underpinnings that the word reflected, and the culture that had grown around it. It was intended to stymie environments that engendered a bigoted mindset, or encouraged it, and to impress White America of the power of language in perpetuating hateful mindsets. It was meant to remind whites to reassess what they may have been taught growing up was "normal" language, the ideas that language suggested or entailed, and to think with more sensitivity and clarity when it came to individuals who happened to be black; to impress these whites that a culture of condescending, supremacist jokes, for example, can have an unexpectedly more cankerous effect than might be anticipated. It was about wakening the unconscious. It isn't good for anyone when a black man isn't getting promoted who is the smartest and most qualified candidate because unconscious biases have been allowed to fester. This man is clearly conscious of the dialogue.

Discouragement of using the word was a shield. It was for justice, and the greater good of all.

It is no longer that. IIRC, the original reason this man got in trouble was that he had the audacity to "blame" a huge decline in pizza sales, which were strongly linked to NFL viewership, to Colin Kaepernick and the #BLM protesters, and I believe he did so ALSO in a private business conference call. That is incontrovertible. That is so widely accepted as consensus that in retrospect it seems absurd it was ever construed as "racism". This man wasn't on board with that agenda, and frustrated with the effect it was having on his company. He immediately became a target of the Shaun King machine. It led to this.

No, it is no longer being wielded as a shield, but a sword. It is being used to destroy, not to prevent destruction. It is being used to foment a mob mentality where we "lynch" someone, figuratively speaking: raise the pitchforks and storm a mansion. Tear it down. Mainstream leftists were after the mansions, so they love it. It's part of how the liberal economic platform has co-opted their social platform. The latter is being weaponized towards the goal of the former. This wasn't healthy as the "Southern Strategy" and it sure as hell isn't healthy, now.

It has robbed this noble quest of its moral authority.

Eh... that's happened everywhere.
Golliwog biscuits got renamed as Scalliwags.
355493-small.jpg
:eek::eek::eek:s got renamed as Fads (although apparently it's still ok to sell lolly cigarettes to children).
https://longwhitekid.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/:eek::eek::eek:s-cropped-noise.jpg?w=604&h=836

We do still have Chico Babies, Redskins and Eskimo Pie... but who knows for how long.

Holy cow! The examples you posted are indeed offensive. They better had to change the names and the illustrations to more fit our time.

This is "basically" a terrible reading, and a strawman.

Except that not all races are judged or treated equally by this "rule". That is discrimination. I have never seen a black man ran off a company he founded/owned for using this word in a business environment, and especially with a context like this. "Context is king", they say, unless you have a tidy jpeg that culturally institutionalizes-- culturalizes?-- racism against whites. Then leftists are happy. Buzzword labels. Much thought.

There is literally a jpeg that explains, "Here why context is never king." I cannot abide that.

Liberals and Democrats refuse to argue this because they cannot argue it, and they know it to not be virtuous, but they love what we have allowed this to become. They have "weaponized" the word (yes, I'm going to keep appropriating the liberal lexicon to throw back at them). Everyone seems to have forgotten why we originally stigmatized this word so deeply. It was meant to highlight the hateful underpinnings that the word reflected, and the culture that had grown around it. It was intended to stymie environments that engendered a bigoted mindset, or encouraged it, and to impress White America of the power of language in perpetuating hateful mindsets. It was meant to remind whites to reassess what they may have been taught growing up was "normal" language, the ideas that language suggested or entailed, and to think with more sensitivity and clarity when it came to individuals who happened to be black; to impress these whites that a culture of condescending, supremacist jokes, for example, can have an unexpectedly more cankerous effect than might be anticipated. It was about wakening the unconscious. It isn't good for anyone when a black man isn't getting promoted who is the smartest and most qualified candidate because unconscious biases have been allowed to fester. This man is clearly conscious of the dialogue.

Discouragement of using the word was a shield. It was for justice, and the greater good of all.

It is no longer that. IIRC, the original reason this man got in trouble was that he had the audacity to "blame" a huge decline in pizza sales, which were strongly linked to NFL viewership, to Colin Kaepernick and the #BLM protesters, and I believe he did so ALSO in a private business conference call. That is incontrovertible. That is so widely accepted as consensus that in retrospect it seems absurd it was ever construed as "racism". This man wasn't on board with that agenda, and frustrated with the effect it was having on his company. He immediately became a target of the Shaun King machine. It led to this.

No, it is no longer being wielded as a shield, but a sword. It is being used to destroy, not to prevent destruction. It is being used to foment a mob mentality where we "lynch" someone, figuratively speaking: raise the pitchforks and storm a mansion. Tear it down. Mainstream leftists were after the mansions, so they love it. It's part of how the liberal economic platform has co-opted their social platform. The latter is being weaponized towards the goal of the former. This wasn't healthy as the "Southern Strategy" and it sure as hell isn't healthy, now.

It has robbed this noble quest of its moral authority.

I must admit. I learn a few good things on this site.

Because you haven't "seen" it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
Well, this isn't a good argument at all.

The central point is that this is a hateful word. No one should use it for any reason because it is a vile word. This idea that words can be "taken back" is just stupid, creating double-standards in society that shouldn't be there. No one should use the "n word," call one another a "f**," or use similar words.

I don't agree with his comments on the anthem protests; he was trying to palm off his company's downturn on the protests.

I also think it is very problematic for him to say 'but but KFC's Sanders said worse things' than me. It's the kind of whaboutism you see in online comments.

That said, I don't agree that him saying the N word in the context he said it in is racist or should cause him to resign.

---

In a related note:
No doubt some apologists supporting the use of racial epithets have already trotted out the cliched go-to response that Black use the N word, so why can't we.

Because you haven't "seen" it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
I worked with a lady who got into some trouble and tried to use the race card. She claimed if she was white she would've never gotten written up. Well, my supervisors told her if she ever brought up race again like that she would be terminated without hesitation.

I worked with a lady who got into some trouble and tried to use the race card. She claimed if she was white she would've never gotten written up. Well, my supervisors told her if she ever brought up race again like that she would be terminated without hesitation.
I knew an AA RN who had to be terminated from the hospital after she left a FB page open calling people naggers and whatnot, a black patient walked by it in the hallway and went ballistic.

Back