If you had to guess what percentage of the audience stream PPVs for free vs pays for them...

I'm a Romanian. We don't buy, we stream, we download, we use torrents. And that's just the way things are!

But I bought a pair of Reebok once!

Because Dana would pay them more if people bought more PPVs, right?!

YCCoqAa.gif

giphy.gif

dana-white-oh-yeah.gif
they DEFINITELY won't pay more if you're being cheap by not paying for it. but if you're broke, disregard my post

If you paid for every single UFC PPV in 2017 you would have spent $844.87. Add another $95.88 a year to watch the non-PPV fights on Fightpass.
That's $940.75 a year.

There is no other sport in the world that requires their viewers to spend that much per year. NFL Redzone, for example, allows their viewers to watch every single NFL game and it costs them 13 bucks a month or $156 a year.

I don't care how much money you have, nobody is spending nearly a $1,000 a year to watch MMA. Especially if you've been a fan for a long time.

Last edited:
I didn't even bother to stream that last one in china or what ever country it was on at 4am. Lol fuck that shit.

they DEFINITELY won't pay more if you're being cheap by not paying for it. but if you're broke, disregard my post

They won't pay more even if 100% of the fans buy PPVs.

But if you still have nightmares in 2018 with GSP "not making" weight against Nick, disregard my post too.

They won't pay more even if 100% of the fans buy PPVs.

But if you still have nightmares in 2018 with GSP "not making" weight against Nick, disregard my post too.
sure, keep on being a cheap fuck

sure, keep on being a cheap fuck

I will.

Keep on being a person who cannot offer arguments in a discussion and who believes that WWE and Dana would triple their salaries! ktnxbye!

I will.

Keep on being a person who cannot offer arguments in a discussion and who believes that WWE and Dana would triple their salaries! ktnxbye!
Do they even sell the ppvs in Romania?<23>

Congrats on top 5 fastest internet in the world tho <DCWhoa>

I will.

never talked about tripling salaries. man, you can't read. keep being poor

So if a PPV like 226 does 380K, I guess it's equivalent to 700-800k from 7-8 years ago, only a large portion found out how to stream for free.

It's also near impossible to get those fans to start paying again, regardless of the card.

I would guess less than half. Like 30%.

Edit: just yesterday I talked to a friend who happened to watch a presentation by the UFC's VP o marketing in Brazil. He (the VP) said that on Facebook alone they put down links where the number of viewers are equal to what they are having on PPV. And that is just on Facebook alone, where they can easily take them down. Imagine all other links... so I correct my estimate to like 70% are streaming.

Other thing he said is that even though PPV numbers are down from what they used to be they are not really worried because they are not bad numbers, the numbers before that were too good. To them 300-400k is already good enough.

Last edited:
I don't stream, but 65 bucks a month for a one off card that can be hit or miss, I can understand why people do.

It's an expensive sport to follow. You don't pay that kind of dough to follow any other.

Where are people finding these amazing HD streams? I've only found shitty ones that cut out and have pop ups and viruses and require that you download some shitty plug in to view them. I sure as hell am not downloading anything off these websites.

I'd say the number of paid views are dwindling. Then you factor in people going to BWW or some other bar to watch.

My friend lives in a town of around 30,000 not far from where I live who's cable company recently stopped carrying the UFC shows because not enough people were ordering them.

I think it's incredibly high percentage that stream or find fight video next day.

My guess is 2 million people are still interested in the ufc.

Of that 300k watch at bar or restaurant, 1.4 million steal it, and 300k suckers pay for it.

The UFC is selling a $20-30 product for $69.99.

A slightly lower quality version of the same product is readily available for free.

I have got to REALLY care about a card and the fighters on it to pay that ridiculous of a premium for UFC.

I bought UFC 226. I was a little disappointed that Max vs Ortega wasn't on it, but it was still a very interesting card. For most cards I go to the bar. Since they have gone to $69.99 I buy about 1 card a year and it tends to be either international fight week or a fighter like Jones or Conor in an interesting (not Nate Diaz or OSP) matchup.

I'll consider paying to see Conor vs Khabib, maybe Jon Jones if he returns against D.C. For HW belt (or Stipe for vacant belt) or maybe Gus for LHW belt. Other than that I'll probably watch at the bar.

I think the ratio is steadily growing in favour of streaming. The divide between 'casuals cards' vs your average card that appeals to hardcores is huge now. It seems those that follow the sport have found ways to stream or go to a bar, I'm one of the latter. People that only buy one or two cards a year are far more likely to pay plus cards that appeal to the general population are easier to have groups chip in for them.

I stream and I still see all the modelo shit in the octagon and the metro pcs slow mo highlights so is not all bad from an advertisement point of view, I'm sure those sponsorship are more valuable to the UFC than PPV sells.

Back