Youtube and Facebook Invests $100 Million To Fight 'Fake News' In Time For 2018 & 2020 Elections

GetTheseHands

2 For 1 Deal
Banned
Reaction score
YouTube on Monday announced a $25 million commitment to fighting fake news on its platform, part of the $300 million Google News Initiative launched in March.

YouTube will show previews and links to news articles and their sources in its search results, along with a reminder that facts and details can change in developing stories. Starting Monday, some videos will also include text from outside sources such as Wikipedia and Encyclopaedia Britannica to make it easier for viewers to reach their their own conclusions.

"We know there is a lot of work to do, but we're eager to provide a better experience to users who come to YouTube every day to learn more about what is happening in the world from a diversity of sources," YouTube said in a statement on its official blog.

YouTube will also be enlisting the help of some of the platform's popular creators to educate consumers -- specifically kids -- about fake news. John Green, Ingrid Nilsen and Mark Watson will work with MediaWise to educate teenagers about digital media literacy.

The first fruits of Facebook’s multimillion-dollar investment in news programming from brand-name TV networks and digital media companies will go live next week — and the social giant has announced another half-dozen news shows that it’s funding.

Starting on Monday, July 16, programming from CNN, Fox News Channel, Univision, ABC News and others will be featured in a dedicated news section in Facebook Watch, its recently launched video platform for episodic programming. The Watch news section will feature news videos from national and local news orgs, and users will see a personalized feed based on the publishers they follow and what their friends are watching. (Facebook users also can access the shows directly from their show pages.)

The first lineup of previously announced shows from news publishers include those from ABC News, Advance Local, ATTN:, CNN, Fox News, Mic, Quartz, and Univision. Over the course of the next few months, Facebook will bring out additional news shows from ABC-owned stations, Bloomberg, BuzzFeed News, McClatchy, Group Nine Media’s NowThis and Tegna.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/facebook-watch-news-debut-cnn-fox-news-1202870102/
https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-spends-25-million-to-fight-fake-news/

It looks like these companies are making sure that we don't make the same 'mistake' as last time.

i think you left out the word 'fight' in your title.

How can you fight fake news by increasing the prominence of CNN?

Overall, I have no issue with the stated goals of Facebook here. I just don't trust them at all to be even-handed.

We only get propaganda from large corporate sources with the money to buy the right to socially engineer society. Got it. But no.

The ONE fake article I saw leading up to the election, it looked like it was done in somebodies basement. The "abc" in the corner wasn't the same as the actual abc logo. Our media is pretending that, basically, that article was a problem so people will be diverted from their growing trend to be corporatist propaganda.

Last edited:
They will need to destroy Faux News to get anywhere.

I have no trust in facebook after the cambridge analytica scandal.

The ONE fake article I saw leading up to the election, it looked like it was done on somebodies basement. The "abc" in the corner wasn't the same as the actual abc logo. Our media is pretending, basically, that article was a problem so people will be diverted from their growing trend to be corporatist propaganda.

If you opened the meme thread, you could have seen dozens (maybe hundreds?) of fake news articles that were created with enough attention to detail to trick a lot of people. They still get posted in there every day. It's a real problem.

If you opened the meme thread, you could have seen dozens (maybe hundreds?) of fake news articles that were created with enough attention to detail to trick a lot of people. They still get posted in there every day. It's a real problem.

Post me a couple, pretty please.

Post me a couple, pretty please.

Sure, since you asked nicely.

Here's one during the election that Trump fell for.

8648932f7e2e830c094a1adfc57267ed4eaae92a.png

Here's one that has been posted in the meme thread like 3 or 4 times in the last week.

36317891_1283240151807126_7130246517155168256_n.jpg

I know people hate mark dice but he broke this down pretty good.. I'd suggest giving this a go

Translation- youtube and facebook will decide what political views you get to hear this election cycle.

This is scary. Leftist control the narrative even further.

Translation- youtube and facebook will decide what political views you get to hear this election cycle.

The media is seriously pissed off we didn't listen to them and voted for Clinton in 2016, now they are going to stomp out the market so that we only listen to them going forward. This is all about controlling people's opinions.

Thank God I don't have to look into anything myself anymore now that youtube and facebook have graciously offered to tell me what I should know and weed out everything I shouldn't. I always knew Vox, CNN, and young turks were the only credible sources.

they'll still support Vox tho right?

and automatically add the NowTHis left leaning channel to everyone's feed without asking or notifying them?

'fake news' hahahahahah sure

Back