What did Frank Shamrock do that Ken Shamrock didn't?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
A while back someone made a thread about how these days you don't see a whole lot of vicious ground pound finishes perhaps like back in the day, then it got me thinking.

When it comes to Ortiz vs Shamrock, most of you know how it ended, and it just puzzles me that Ken Shamrock is probably a better, stronger, less well rounded version of Lion's den product, but Ken Shamrock got his shit pushed in with Ortiz on top of him GNP, but Frank Shamrock didn't really get much damage.

If you watch the fight, it doesn't look like there's anything really different that they do...

Sherdog Holmes, get your little grey cells working

<LikeReally5>

Oh wait... it's you again with another shit thread.

Didn't Bas get his revenge against Frank but not Ken?

Didn’t waste his prime and destroy his body fake fighting.... honest answer.
{<jordan}

Frank was a cardio machine and better technique overall. Also way more mobile.

Worked cardio like no-one in mma at that point, took less gear and evolved rather than just lift heavy stuff.

Go look at the picture of frank as a teenager when he was into bodybuilding and before training with the lions den. He resembles a 19 year old Belfort in more ways than one.

I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions..

Last edited:

Yeah, as well as just being better all round, Frank also focused on learning and getting better, whereas Ken focused on staying with the small team and getting bigger.

A while back someone made a thread about how these days you don't see a whole lot of vicious ground pound finishes perhaps like back in the day, then it got me thinking.

When it comes to Ortiz vs Shamrock, most of you know how it ended, and it just puzzles me that Ken Shamrock is probably a better, stronger, less well rounded version of Lion's den product, but Ken Shamrock got his shit pushed in with Ortiz on top of him GNP, but Frank Shamrock didn't really get much damage.

If you watch the fight, it doesn't look like there's anything really different that they do...

Sherdog Holmes, get your little grey cells working

Frank Shamrock was the pound for pound GOAT when he retired.

Both guys lost their legs but at different points in their career. Frank built his striking game before his legs were gone, Ken fought a lot after he couldn't wrestle as wewl, and tried to box with guys, not to mention he was old as hell.

Ken ruined his body in WWF, and abused steroids. Frank mentioned this in an interview and said Ken's problem was he lost his psyche without roids. A pre WWF Ken, healthy and young, was almost superhumanly strong and unstoppable onothe ground according Mikey Burnett.

I think Ken's ego inflated and he stopped working on his game, got used to easily grappling the shit out of people in Pancrase. While Frank brought one or the first true well rounded game plans to MMA with insane cardio.

Frank also got his ass seriously kicked by prime Ken at the Lion's Den, so in a way, Ken made Frank what he was.

Frank was a real martial artist. Ken did some martial arts but was more interested in selling himself as a brand.

Frank - real

Ken - fake

Actually Frank openly admitted to never training that hard he would even skip practice but would fight his heart out in fights

Frank got ko'd from a palm strike to de leever...

Back