This was Prime Fedor

Too bad the Barnett fight never took place. It would have been epic.

it wasn't too long after this fight, I noticed a decline in fedor's performance...he did what aldo did in his later fights...aldo gave up leg kicking...or cut back 80%. fedor gave up on his wrestling and submissions...I can't remember the last time fedor took a guy down or submitted anyone...it's been years. he doesn't even try anymore...his standup was always good, cause of his threat of a takedown...if he only stood with cro cop and never attempted any takedowns and didn't use grappling, he probably would have lost badly.

it wasn't too long after this fight, I noticed a decline in fedor's performance...he did what aldo did in his later fights...aldo gave up leg kicking...or cut back 80%. fedor gave up on his wrestling and submissions...I can't remember the last time fedor took a guy down or submitted anyone...it's been years. he doesn't even try anymore...his standup was always good, cause of his threat of a takedown...if he only stood with cro cop and never attempted any takedowns and didn't use grappling, he probably would have lost badly.
True enough. All the back injuries and knee injuries changed his sytle totally. People who saw him at his best notice this. Hsadhunter was never who he was until after the neck/back issues.

Fedor in a ring was a God.

The guy was blindingly fast for a HW, even a small HW.

The truly scary thing is that Alex was honestly the more physically talented of the two. He was just as fast and a whole lot bigger.

Fedro was a beast... Top 10 fighter all time for sure

Fedor started to decline once he started hanging out with that wierd priest dude...

was hoping it was gonna be this
TanPerkyKoala.gif

Great performance, but personally I think Fedor's decline began immediately following the CroCop fight.

Watching his career unfold, I feel like many of us started feeling uneasy about his motivation and focus before he left PRIDE. He looked bored and uninspired against Coleman, Hunt, etc.... by the time he hit Bodog/Affliction he was basically captain Russia and had stopped training seriously in favor of prayers and hanging with the Kremlin.

His unbelievable talent kept him afloat for a few more years, of course, but his "prime" ended with CroCop imho

True enough. All the back injuries and knee injuries changed his sytle totally. People who saw him at his best notice this. Hsadhunter was never who he was until after the neck/back issues.

Wec and early ufc aldo was a f'kin nightmare to fight...there is nobody in the ufc that would beat that guy...Nobody his weight of course.

It was the end of Affliction. When Fedor and his crew of 30-ish people flew all the way from Moscow to LA and found out the fight with Barnett was canceled, The Affliction Entertainment ownership/management didn't even have the courtesy to call M-1/Fedor to tell them not to board the plane. I imagine that did a lot to reduce Fedor's desire to fight/train. Fedor looked less polished fighting Brett Rogers, taking some unnecessary shots on the ground and lacked the crisp striking during the stand up exchanges. Before the fight with Werdum, Fedor was talking about retirement.

Wec and early ufc aldo was a f'kin nightmare to fight...there is nobody in the ufc that would beat that guy...Nobody his weight of course.
Thats what makes some of the cans not cans. Like zulu. Who was 7 and 0..at time and supposedly 38 and 0 w 38 kos in vale tudo. The guy weighed 390 lbs.. And def had ko power. When he fought fedor( mostly because people wouldnt sign to fight fedor) he was no less than the naganu that fought stipe. An unknown with kos on his record. Ho man choi is another that was huge. I dont care who u are, u can lose to those guys. Its like aldo fighting a 265er...as fedor was at like 230 so thats 160lbs difference. Or 120 lbs in choi case. At hw anyone can lose at any time as everyone has ko power almost.

Fedor isn't a wrestler, never was.
Most of his takedowns were upper body after having already cracked the opponent with a big punch.
In the later part of his career he fought opponents that were very hard to take down, he would have never taken down fighters like Arlovski or Bigfoot, too big and skilled.

Back