GOAT Console

What is the GOAT Console

• Total voters

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK THIS IS IT

What is the GOAT console in your opinion? Obviously the poll is based upon each consoles respective era, PS4 shits on playstation in raw technology and features.

We also need to exclude backwards compatibility as PS2 is clearly better than playstation if we don't because it has both libraries and it's not fair.

We want to look at things like library, impact, controller, features, and overall fun.

I'll start and say playstation. It has some of my all time favorite games like FF7, FF tactics, MGS, Castlevania SOTN, Tony Hawk 1&2, Oddworld...etc.
Do yourself a favor and google best playstation 1 games. The list is insane.

It was a HUGE step up in technology and had unrivaled graphics and features at the time.

Impossible!

N64/PS2/GC/X360 four way tie.

Impossible!

N64/PS2/GC/X360 four way tie.

xbox 360?! IMO that one of the all time worst. Mine literally never got turned on after like the 1st year of owning it. No point, PS3 was SOOOOOO much better.

xbox 360?! IMO that one of the all time worst. Mine literally never got turned on after like the 1st year of owning it. No point, PS3 was SOOOOOO much better.

As a poor high school kid the PS3 was too much. I loved my 360 even if it RROD on me once. I spent a ridiculous amount of time on it but tbh most of the games I loved the most were multi platform (Mass Effect, COD4, MK9, SC4, T6, etc)

PS4 is really awesome I was tempted to throw that in my favorites but it didn’t seem to have the same effect the other consoles had on me. May be because I’m older and also play on PC too

Our 1st console was a famicom back in 1988. Had a sega afterwards but in the end the playstation was the game changer. This will come down to age. Under 30 fellows would probably vote for n64 or ps2. ANd so on and so forth.

This is a tough one, I started from the begining with NES. I gotta roll with PSX though. It was such a big shift in gaming coming from the original consoles. Kind of laid the ground work for what we have today. Have a lot of fond memories from my childhood with it and being blown away by polygonal graphics.

At first? I don't think so. 360 had all the best exclusives, and were stealing some very high profile exclusivity from Sony, like GTA. PS3 was kind of shit in the beginning, but it eventually got it's shit together and arguably surpassed the 360 though. Personally, they're a wash for me, and I think they're tied for the GOAT from a pure objective standpoint. Not only did they have arguably the best libraries, but the tech hit a sweet spot in evolution, and I don't think we'll see as big of a leap from generations as we did with those machines. They were the table setters for what we see today, and the gameplay itself across the board is still being aped from the 7th gen, which was so groundbreaking.

My nostalgia gives it to the PS2 though.

At first? I don't think so. 360 had all the best exclusives, and were stealing some very high profile exclusivity from Sony, like GTA. PS3 was kind of shit in the beginning, but it eventually got it's shit together and arguably surpassed the 360 though. Personally, they're a wash for me, and I think they're tied for the GOAT from a pure objective standpoint. Not only did they have arguably the best libraries, but the tech hit a sweet spot in evolution, and I don't think we'll see as big of a leap from generations as we did with those machines. They were the table setters for what we see today, and the gameplay itself across the board is still being aped from the 7th gen, which was so groundbreaking.

My nostalgia gives it to the PS2 though.

I think the PS3/360 era is easily the worst. ZERO JRPGs and it's when developers started releasing games in a series every year. I do agree that xbox 360 started strong as fuck, but PS3 ended up destroying them. Was basically Magny/Lombard.

I think the PS3/360 era is easily the worst. ZERO JRPGs and it's when developers started releasing games in a series every year. I do agree that xbox 360 started strong as fuck, but PS3 ended up destroying them. Was basically Magny/Lombard.

Worst because no JRPG's? That's a bit silly. Besides, the western RPG's like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout, etc, etc, pretty much made JRPG's look a little archaic by comparison. Don't get me wrong, I still missed they're presence in the 7th gen, but I think the industry justifiably moved past them with RPG's that were much larger in scope, and robust in gameplay. The open ended "choose your own adventure-ish" gameplay of the 7th gen western RPG's is the stuff of dreams for my 12 year old self. Every unimaginable feature we'd talk about as kids, as to what games in the future could do, became a reality with those types of games.

Worst because no JRPG's? That's a bit silly. Besides, the western RPG's like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout, etc, etc, pretty much made JRPG's look a little archaic by comparison. Don't get me wrong, I still missed they're presence in the 7th gen, but I think the industry justifiably moved past them with RPG's that were much larger in scope, and robust in gameplay. The open ended "choose your own adventure-ish" gameplay of the 7th gen western RPG's is the stuff of dreams for my 12 year old self. Every unimaginable feature we'd talk about as kids, as to what games in the future could do, became a reality with those types of games.

I still love jrpgs the most because they are so relaxing TBH, but the lack of them isn't what defined the generation for me.To me that generation is highlighted by game companies becoming MASSIVE and the whole era in my mind has the feeling of games with no charm or warmth, just dollar signs pumping out the same thing year after year.

I still love jrpgs the most because they are so relaxing TBH, but the lack of them isn't what defined the generation for me.To me that generation is highlighted by game companies becoming MASSIVE and the whole era in my mind has the feeling of games with no charm or warmth, just dollar signs pumping out the same thing year after year.

Perhaps near the tail end of the cycle, but I personally think it was one of the most creative and innovative generations we've seen. Year after year, we were getting truly revolutionary and instant classic games. Games like Bioshock, Gears Of War, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Uncharted, Assassins Creed, Batman AA, Heavy Rain, COD4, Halo 3, Red Dead Redemption, GTA5, Far Cry, MGS 4, God Of War 3, Mass Effect, The Last of Us, Dark Souls, LA Noire, etc, etc. The hits just kept on coming, and there was a steady evolution to the gameplay within them.

I think I share those exact same sentiments you have, about this gen. To me, this gen is the forgettable retread era, and the industry moving towards nickle and diming multiplayer games. Only a small handful of games truly stand out like the ones mentioned above.

My vote goes to the SNES. It's combo of quality RPGs, adventure, sports and action games has no equal imo.

Objectively, it's either PS2 or SNES. Nostalgia made me pick PS1.

SNES easily. Games and graphics still hold up today. Try going back and playing 3-D games on the PS1 or Saturn and get ready for a headache.

ps1.

amazing and huge library, great controller. memory cards, piracy...

Hm. For sheer enjoyment and nostalgia I probably have to go Snes. Some of my favorite games ever:

Final Fantasy 2 & 3
Chrono Trigger
Ogre Battle
Mario Kart
Super Metroid
Street Fighter 2
Zelda 3
Populous
Sim City & Sim Ant
Final Fight

Back