Kyokushin

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
nice vid from warrior collective showing some KK techniques

Pretty basic stuff but glad you're digging some Kyokushin stuff.

I just happened to watch that this morning over breakfast. That guy's dojo is about 45 mins drive from me. Warrior Collective is a good YouTube channel - his Dutch Kickboxing documentary is well worth a watch, and some of the judo vids have been filmed at my son's judo club.

Kyokusin is a boss style when done the right way.

I'm not a fan of kyokushin these days but I will say that the bite down your mouth piece and push through as someone is smashing you with shots - spirit I got from kyokushin training. That's invaluable.

But I'll be the first to say it teaches you very bad habits that once learnt are difficult to undo.

i like their snappier/faster kicks, theres still plenty of power. Seems like a good way to open a guy up, before you rip some big thai body kicks

Comic Sans is like the least appropriate font they could use. :p

My experience with Kyokoshin is mixed.
My cousin was training it and I had few classes too when a teen. The teacher was pretty good and it was a badass experience back in the days. We were in a good dojo.

Fast forward a decade or more last year I watched a camp and a demonstration from a good Serbian club and was slightly disappointed.

They had two black belts sparring by the end. All body punching finished with a flashy high kick. Obviously it is a good tactic when the guard is so down to finish with a high kick. But these guys had no clue about angles, distance and footwork. They were walking at each other punching their bodies and finishing with high kicks.

I really left dissapointed. All that training for such a poor skill set? It did not look practical and it was not good enough.

I dont like their idea of just eating lowkicks. It make it strange to spar with them.

Kyokushin is next level useless. Unrealistic, only has one realistic thing(lowkicks)
WW and MW UFC champion George St. Pierre: "I’m very happy that I learned karate when I was young. A lot of people told me that it’s useless in fighting, but they’re wrong. I’m pretty sure if I hadn’t done it, I wouldn’t be at this level today. Karate made me a lot stronger, and it made me flexible and athletic like I am right now. When I’m fighting, I’m not doing kata, but I use a lot of kicks and techniques that I learned from kyokushin."
Source: http://archive.li/oCbxb

Some whitebelt Sherdogger: "Kyokushin is next level useless."
<YeahOKJen>

WW and MW UFC champion George St. Pierre: "I’m very happy that I learned karate when I was young. A lot of people told me that it’s useless in fighting, but they’re wrong. I’m pretty sure if I hadn’t done it, I wouldn’t be at this level today. Karate made me a lot stronger, and it made me flexible and athletic like I am right now. When I’m fighting, I’m not doing kata, but I use a lot of kicks and techniques that I learned from kyokushin."

<YeahOKJen>

exactly lol

even the stuff people dont think is useful.........is actually useful. Theres a ton of useful stuff in karate, but you may only be able to recognize it "from the top of the mountain"

My experience with Kyokoshin is mixed.
My cousin was training it and I had few classes too when a teen. The teacher was pretty good and it was a badass experience back in the days. We were in a good dojo.

Fast forward a decade or more last year I watched a camp and a demonstration from a good Serbian club and was slightly disappointed.

They had two black belts sparring by the end. All body punching finished with a flashy high kick. Obviously it is a good tactic when the guard is so down to finish with a high kick. But these guys had no clue about angles, distance and footwork. They were walking at each other punching their bodies and finishing with high kicks.

I really left dissapointed. All that training for such a poor skill set? It did not look practical and it was not good enough.
Its not too wildly different from KB, but its still very interesting even though it'd professional rock em sock em bang bots

Kyokushin is next level useless. Unrealistic, only has one realistic thing(lowkicks)
Naw, its a good style. Does it have holes? Of course, every single discipline has holes when you transition to a more open rule set

Its not too wildly different from KB, but its still very interesting even though it'd professional rock em sock em bang bots

Naw, its a good style. Does it have holes? Of course, every single discipline has holes when you transition to a more open rule set
I think most guys that train in a legit kick boxing gym for an year consistently will not have trouble taking most of these blackbelts I saw. Heck even I under KB rules could take some.

<YeahOKJen>
Call me when gsp actually uses kyokushin in a fight and not his timid jabs and wrestling

A poor skillset and not practical for what?

It's far from useless and has produced a lot of great fighters. If you talk about realism, then punching bare knuckle and using open hand techniques is pretty realistic to me.

I think most guys that train in a legit kick boxing gym for an year consistently will not have trouble taking most of these blackbelts I saw. Heck even I under KB rules could take some.

It completely depends on the individual, but legit Kyokushin black belts are dangerous in any ruleset.

Call me when gsp actually uses kyokushin in a fight and not his timid jabs and wrestling

Ok, here you go a Kyokushin kick right there found within a few seconds of skipping through a highlight video:

As someone who's trained in Kyokushin, KB and MT I can tell you that kick is executed 100% Kyokushin style.

You can also see some more between 5.12 and and 5.26 of the same video.

A poor skillset and not practical for what?

Even for self defence. Body punching and creating habits of defending the body and not the head, does not sound like a good self defence tool. Combine that with poor footwork, bad stance and no angle work and ... well obviously the average Joe will struggle against a black belt in Kyokoshin, but the average Joe does have a chance of landing that 1 hit KO punch ... just because no head protection and just because the average Joe can take that bad stance Kyokoshin guy down pretty easily.

Back