hs wrestling

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
has the numbers increased since they now allow you to wear a rashguard and shorts? believe it or not alot of kids dont wrestle due to the singlet it isnt that they think it looks gay but more of being insecure especially when they know girls are gonna be there

i feel that really hurt kids especially today how kids are nowadays id think it would greatly improve participation they started this last year correct? im curious to see if there are any real figures to see if its truly helped the sport grow

It definitely should increase the numbers. With the fear of concussion from football, a lot of those kids who exclusively did football may just turn to wrestling.

From what I have seen at the middle school level and also the females, yes, it has drastically improved participation. This is the most important level because it is the take it or leave it level of wrestling; either they will take to it and stay, or believe it isnt for them and leave.

It helped where I was with both perception and participation. Now the other issues causing numbers decline need to be addressed

From what I have seen at the middle school level and also the females, yes, it has drastically improved participation. This is the most important level because it is the take it or leave it level of wrestling; either they will take to it and stay, or believe it isnt for them and leave.
tbh idk why it took them all this long i mean they didnt realize years ago that some kids would not wana be in a super skin tight singlet? should have always been optional to wear

When we where sharing our gym with greco wrestlers they almost never wore they singlest in practice (and some wear stealing the rashguard people left behind).
Dunno why the attire isn't changed in international style too.

Last edited:
When we where sharing our gym with greco wrestlers they almost never wore they singlest in practice (and some wear stealing the rashguard people left being).
Dunno why the attire isn't changed in international style too.

im hoping to get my boys in wrestling, they are 6 and 2 years old

oldest has already been doing bjj for about 2 years now so hope it helps transition

I coach club level folkstyle wrestling. I think we had 2 clubs in the whole state go the shorts and rashguard route so far and most of the kids in those clubs still wear the singlet. I get some push back on the singlet at first but once they show up to a tournament with 500 other kids in it they couldn't care less.

im hoping to get my boys in wrestling, they are 6 and 2 years old

oldest has already been doing bjj for about 2 years now so hope it helps transition

The biggest learning curve I've seen for bjj guys at that age is the speed of the match. They'll be doing something like three 60-90 second rounds. They have to engage quickly and work fast. I haven't seen much issue with wanting to go the their back after a few practices, but that live match speed tends to be a learning curve for them.

Having to show up everyday
Having to do conditioning everyday
Having to compete in front of people
Win/Loss accountability
Hard practices
Time away from internet/gaming

Up until about 1995, these things were much less of an issue for kids. The internet, lack of accountability towards kids, participation culture, and hover parents claimed more wrestlers than WWII

It's funny because the lycra singlet itself was the idea of some poofters in the 60s because they didn't like the longer overalls people traditionally used to wear in wrestling for whatever reason.

You know that's when a lot of turns for the worst happened when you think about it. Or perhaps simply the explicit outwards real-ization of ratchets that had already started long before culminating up to then.

Last edited:
Having to show up everyday
Having to do conditioning everyday
Having to compete in front of people
Win/Loss accountability
Hard practices
Time away from internet/gaming

Up until about 1995, these things were much less of an issue for kids. The internet, lack of accountability towards kids, participation culture, and hover parents claimed more wrestlers than WWII

Truer words were never spoke. I'm using this as part of my signature.

and hover parents

To be fair, while I don't support parents interfering in the class, more parents being present wouldn't hurt with all the predatory sex scandals going down.

This isn't unique to wrestling or Ohio, same shit was going down in USA gymnastics, olympic boxing, and more.

Parents being there is a good thing. Parents backseat driving coaches, not a good thing. Parents not being there at all, worst thing of all.

To be fair, while I don't support parents interfering in the class, more parents being present wouldn't hurt with all the predatory sex scandals going down.

This isn't unique to wrestling or Ohio, same shit was going down in USA gymnastics, olympic boxing, and more.

Parents being there is a good thing. Parents backseat driving coaches, not a good thing. Parents not being there at all, worst thing of all.
I think maybe you overestimate the amount of coaches fired for sexual misconduct in wrestling, and arent aware of the rules in place regarding parents.

Parents arent allowed to just stroll on to school grounds and watch practice. It rarely happens, and when it does, it shouldnt. Most schools due to the shootings are very very particular with who can get in, and the process. I get parents all the time who want to come in and let their kid know they are here, and security is all over them.

Sex scandals in the wrestling world are extremely rare compared to what happens in everyday society. The background checks by the FBI are extensive and AD's seriously vet anybody around kids. Its not like it was in the 80's. Alumni and friends of the team cant even be on the mats. Some slip through, but its very rare and everyone in the wrestling community hears about it, no matter how far away it is.

What I mean by hover parents is when they step in regarding coaches practice, or step in to their own child because they feel the child is being harmed. It doesnt happen to me much because I coach in very poor areas, but I see kids who get a bruise or a black eye in a normal wrestling scramble, then mom shows up the next day demanding to talk to the coach about how her son is getting targeted by other wrestlers. Wrestlers routinely tell me they dont have to come to practice because their parents said they can take the day off. Parents taking their kids to Disneyland for 3 days before a tournament, then sending hellfire to my AD when I bench them and put the backup in who showed up for the wrestle off that little Pedro skipped to hang out with Mickey Mouse. And these are the tough kids at school. I pray to the gods of patience for our cheer and dance coaches and my coworker who is a male coaching female soccer. The shit they have to deal with from hover parents would make me tap out.

I think maybe you overestimate the amount of coaches fired for sexual misconduct in wrestling, and arent aware of the rules in place regarding parents.

Parents arent allowed to just stroll on to school grounds and watch practice. It rarely happens, and when it does, it shouldnt. Most schools due to the shootings are very very particular with who can get in, and the process. I get parents all the time who want to come in and let their kid know they are here, and security is all over them.

Sex scandals in the wrestling world are extremely rare compared to what happens in everyday society. The background checks by the FBI are extensive and AD's seriously vet anybody around kids. Its not like it was in the 80's. Alumni and friends of the team cant even be on the mats. Some slip through, but its very rare and everyone in the wrestling community hears about it, no matter how far away it is.

What I mean by hover parents is when they step in regarding coaches practice, or step in to their own child because they feel the child is being harmed. It doesnt happen to me much because I coach in very poor areas, but I see kids who get a bruise or a black eye in a normal wrestling scramble, then mom shows up the next day demanding to talk to the coach about how her son is getting targeted by other wrestlers. Wrestlers routinely tell me they dont have to come to practice because their parents said they can take the day off. Parents taking their kids to Disneyland for 3 days before a tournament, then sending hellfire to my AD when I bench them and put the backup in who showed up for the wrestle off that little Pedro skipped to hang out with Mickey Mouse. And these are the tough kids at school. I pray to the gods of patience for our cheer and dance coaches and my coworker who is a male coaching female soccer. The shit they have to deal with from hover parents would make me tap out.
This is part of why I prefer to coach in low income areas. Asides from helping the kids, growing sport etc. I just can’t deal with the hover parents that are at the high income suburban schools. And if I do, I won't be a head coach

Back