Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

There aren’t any fingers in my ears, you seem to take the direction of my comments the wrong way.

I thanked you for the article link , and made a joke about how you can always rely on crazy internet comment sections for a laugh.

I also noted there was some good information in the article for my learning curve.

Perhaps the way I wrote it is what’s confusing you, it was late and I was in and out of consciousness having taken a ton of meletonin trying to fall asleep previously, so I do apologize if it did not come out the way I had intended.

I’ve said from the beginnng in some of these pc threads, my learning curve is way off, as I haven’t built a pc since there were still dinosaurs roaming the land.

So I’m trying to learn everything I’ve either forgotten, or missed out on in decades of advancements all at the same time.

But I’ve also learned two new things, judging performance on a desktop build to my current laptop was a comedy of errors in a way.

Looking at benchmarks and assuming based on processor type and age they would be slower than what I currently have was way off after running full benchmarks on my own shit.

And secondly my laptop isn’t what it was supposed to be either, which threw a curveball in my assumptions as well.

Then trying to figure out exactly why what parts of what I do, are the crippling processesing functions and trying to build past that.

While at the same time not spending money I would not need too, then there is the confusion as it seems across the board for internet reciews on the same issues.
My apologies. In any case, Ryzen is a clear winner for you. @Quipling likely spotted a Microcenter deal, maybe a combo, on one of these processors that is an even better deal than below:
To meaningfully step above that for an editing CPU would require a step up to the 12-core AMD Threadripper 1920X which is $653 (or 16-core 1950X for $750), at the moment, and would also require a significantly more expensive motherboard.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My apologies. In any case, Ryzen is a clear winner for you. @Quipling likely spotted a Microcenter deal, maybe a combo, on one of these processors that is an even better deal than below:
To meaningfully step above that for an editing CPU would require a step up to the 12-core AMD Threadripper 1920X which is $653 (or 16-core 1950X for $750), at the moment, and would also require a significantly more expensive motherboard.

Yeah for my issues a thread ripper is an absolute waste of money.

I’ve dug into benchmarks on editing 4K video, on video editing sites , and while a thread ripper absolutely tears everything a new asshole using cpu alone, the addition of a gpu, and pretty much any damn gpu makes the most difference.

And adding a gpu, with a thread ripper doesn’t make much difference from the cpu alone. Which is strange , but makes sense in the word of diminishing returns.

So for cpu’s I’m looking at r52600 or r7 1700 like notes above.
And what ever best deal gpu I find used locally

But, and here’s the but part, I am exploring the value and performance aspects of ddr4 vs ddr3, I know I can get ddr3 much cheaper so that might be another deciding factor on cpu as well.

I’m looking into ram loads on editing performance now, and how that affects it all, ie for much cheaper would an older top line cpu, with 32gb ddr3 be better off than newer and less cpu, and ddr4.

16gb of ddr4 isn’t cheap, and 32 is pretty damn expensive.

I appreciate all the input, and it’s becoming fun researching all this , I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas for my case to show up and I don’t have anything to put into it yet lol.

This open box 560
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...ocked_Dual-Fan_4GB_GDDR5_PCIe_Video_Card?ob=1

This 1050

http://www.microcenter.com/product/472010/GeForce_GTX_1050_2GB_GDDR5_Video_Card?ob=1

And this 1050 ti are kinda catching my eye

http://www.microcenter.com/product/..._Overclocked_4GB_STRIX_Gaming_Video_Card?ob=1

Goddamn, at $171 this Ryzen 5 2600 is killing the i5-8600K for $240:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...496&cm_re=ryzen_5_2600-_-19-113-496-_-Product
  • 4.3GHz ceiling (vs. 4.1GHz ceiling for Ryzen 1st gen)
  • CPU Cooler included (Wraith Spire)
  • 6c/12t vs. 6c/6t i5-8600K
  • Overclockable B350 motherboards starting at $55 (vs. $83 for Intel Z270 & $90 for Intel Z370)
UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 vs Intel Core i5-8600K

I’ve been leaning more and more to the 2600 lately, I should just order one but I’ve got no idea what mobo to get yet, I haven’t started down that wormhole yet

I bought Far Cry 5 but couldn't play it. I want to upgrade my PC not only to be able to play FC5 but also Elder Scrolls 6 when it comes out. What should I do with my PC?

Current specs:
CPU- Intel Core i-5 [email protected] GHz
Video Card- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RAM- 8GB

Last edited:
I bought Far Cry 5 but couldn't play it. I want to upgrade my PC not only to be able to play FC5 but also Elder Scrolls 6 when it comes out. What should I do with my PC?

Current specs:
RAM- 8GB
Someone obviously better equipped to answer this will come along but I’m curious to know why it won’t run on those specs.

What resolution and screen size are you trying to play it on?

Someone obviously better equipped to answer this will come along but I’m curious to know why it won’t run on those specs.

What resolution and screen size are you trying to play it on?

TBC, it could play FC5 with the specs I wrote, it just lags so much it simply doesn't sync with how a normal gamer plays.

1680 x 1050 resolution

Screen size is something like 24 by 16 inches.

TBC, it could play FC5 with the specs I wrote, it just lags so much it simply doesn't sync with how a normal gamer plays.

1680 x 1050 resolution

I figured that’s what you meant by “couldn’t play it” and was wondering if you were playing at 1080p or 4K.

On that size screen turn that shit down to 720p so you can play until you upgrade.

Or even try 1440x900 to keep your 16:10 aspect ratio

1680 x 1050 resolution

According to this, and 1080p requiments which are a little more taxing than yours the cpu is the bottle neck in your system.

far cry 5 minimum system requirements 1080p
https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=31290&game=Far Cry 5

The ryzen 5 posted above would do it the cheapest, step up some cash for the i7

35 miles, about 45 minutes in normal traffic
Pretty much. They're having moderate sales for most of the ryzen cpus which are driven home with their bundling practice: everything except the lowest budget CPUs get $30 off if you buy it with any compatible motherboard. The sales are pretty consistently about $10 worse than the ones on newegg right now, but they're better with the bundle, and they're much better if you're somewhere with an openbox deal, since those are typically another 20% off.

Pretty much. They're having moderate sales for most of the ryzen cpus which are driven home with their bundling practice: everything except the lowest budget CPUs get $30 off if you buy it with any compatible motherboard. The sales are pretty consistently about $10 worse than the ones on newegg right now, but they're better with the bundle, and they're much better if you're somewhere with an openbox deal, since those are typically another 20% off.
I didn’t see any open box deals on cpu/Mobo combos for r5/7, but did see some I was interested in.

I’m sure I can ask in store if they do have any and just haven’t put them up online yet.

I didn’t see any open box deals on cpu/Mobo combos for r5/7, but did see some I was interested in.

I’m sure I can ask in store if they do have any and just haven’t put them up online yet.
You don't need their premade combos. You can get the $30 off if you select the Mobo and CPU as long as they're both compatible and have the $30 off listed.

You don't need their premade combos. You can get the $30 off if you select the Mobo and CPU as long as they're both compatible and have the $30 off listed.
Gotcha thanks

Gotcha thanks
No problems.

On the memory front, my instinct is that buying old tech probably won't work that great. Don't know how much you'd save with ddr3 over ddr4, but it looks about 2/3 of the price on pcpartpicker.

Your best option with ddr3 would be a 4th gen i7. It'll cost a bit more used as a new r5 2600 and will not be nearly as powerful for multicore tasks, but if you want to save money on ram there it is.

I'd just get 16 gb of ddr4 with the Ryzen 5 2600, though. It's not cheap, but it'll be better in the long run.

No problems.

On the memory front, my instinct is that buying old tech probably won't work that great. Don't know how much you'd save with ddr3 over ddr4, but it looks about 2/3 of the price on pcpartpicker.

Your best option with ddr3 would be a 4th gen i7. It'll cost a bit more used as a new r5 2600 and will not be nearly as powerful for multicore tasks, but if you want to save money on ram there it is.

I'd just get 16 gb of ddr4 with the Ryzen 5 2600, though. It's not cheap, but it'll be better in the long run.
I’ve been researching this a ton on value per dollar stuff the last few days, I’ve run across some interesting data.

I have a few more things to figure out, but i might end up with something surprising that performs extremely well for dollar spent.

I’m sure I’ll eventually end up with the r5 2600 at some point, and maybe sooner than the ghetto fabulous build but i want to try this for fun anyway.

With what I’m gonna try I don’t think I’d want to have it as my primary but maybe a fun learning rig that can serve some purpose when I’m done like a cheap sole purpose capture rig or something.

Anyway way off track , but thanks for the micro center tip, I hadn’t looked into them a ton since they are a bit of a drive, I’ll check them out soon for sure.

Current specs:
RAM- 8GB
Your GPU (video card) is the weak link if at 1080p-- especially for AAA games like that. At your resolution the CPU and GPU are closer to equally matched.

But we have a potential issue. Your GPU is a GTX 1050 Ti, and those can run off the motherboard, so is isn't certain that you have a PSU with a 6-pin connector (and sufficient power on a 12V rail) to power the more powerful GPUs. Is this an old office build? If so, then the PSU almost certainly isn't appropriate for gaming. If you can upgrade the GPU then upgrading that would likely be your cheapest fix, so it's worth sorting out. After all, if upgrading the GPU doesn't solve this, you're no worse for the wear, because you can just build a new computer with a new CPU/RAM, and then slot in that same GPU with the new build.

In that case, you really just need to assemble a new build. No better time than right now. Far Cry 5 is one of the most demanding dozen games currently in release on the PC platform. You've chosen a game that demands a higher class of machine.

Yeah for my issues a thread ripper is an absolute waste of money.

I’ve dug into benchmarks on editing 4K video, on video editing sites , and while a thread ripper absolutely tears everything a new asshole using cpu alone, the addition of a gpu, and pretty much any damn gpu makes the most difference.

And adding a gpu, with a thread ripper doesn’t make much difference from the cpu alone. Which is strange , but makes sense in the word of diminishing returns.

So for cpu’s I’m looking at r52600 or r7 1700 like notes above.
And what ever best deal gpu I find used locally

But, and here’s the but part, I am exploring the value and performance aspects of ddr4 vs ddr3, I know I can get ddr3 much cheaper so that might be another deciding factor on cpu as well.

I’m looking into ram loads on editing performance now, and how that affects it all, ie for much cheaper would an older top line cpu, with 32gb ddr3 be better off than newer and less cpu, and ddr4.

16gb of ddr4 isn’t cheap, and 32 is pretty damn expensive.

I appreciate all the input, and it’s becoming fun researching all this , I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas for my case to show up and I don’t have anything to put into it yet lol.
It's tough to beat an R7-1700 + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO* for $213 total.
*a CPU cooler with superior cooling performance to the stock AMD Wraith Spire-- $22 sale at Amazon right now; $30 normally

A few other top budget CPU coolers to consider here would be the Cryorig H7 Universal ($35) or Cryorig M9a ($20).

Your GPU (video card) is the weak link if at 1080p-- especially for AAA games like that. At your resolution the CPU and GPU are closer to equally matched.

But we have a potential issue. Your GPU is a GTX 1050 Ti, and those can run off the motherboard, so is isn't certain that you have a PSU with a 6-pin connector (and sufficient power on a 12V rail) to power the more powerful GPUs. Is this an old office build? If so, then the PSU almost certainly isn't appropriate for gaming. If you can upgrade the GPU then upgrading that would likely be your cheapest fix, so it's worth sorting out. After all, if upgrading the GPU doesn't solve this, you're no worse for the wear, because you can just build a new computer with a new CPU/RAM, and then slot in that same GPU with the new build.

In that case, you really just need to assemble a new build. No better time than right now. Far Cry 5 is one of the most demanding dozen games currently in release on the PC platform. You've chosen a game that demands a higher class of machine.

Interesting take, as the recommended gpu is less than he has, but the recommended cpu is more.

Just going off the link I posted(first one on google search, no idea of the validity of it) his cpu is the bottleneck.

But I do get what you are saying about the power supply, the mini “office pc” versions that require less power run at a lower hz correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back