The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

sure, on full body cars its very easy. but on F1 cars with all the wings and aero fascia, the slightest contact almost always results in broken carbon fiber and/or punctures. since ferrari is also very interested in constructor's points,
I think it's highly unlikely they would have Kimi spin Hammy intentionally and risk crashing out.

Often accidental contact results in both cars crashing. If done intentionally, it is much easier to avoid any serious damage. Build cars with a strong enough suspension to sustain wheel to wheel contact and back off immediately after contact.

Kahne came really close to winning last Saturday at Daytona. Was really hoping an underfunded team like that could pull out the victory with all the wrecked cars.

Really shows how uneven the playing field is when Harvick and Truex's cars are held together with duct tape and were still faster than the other cars with no damage.

Hahaha Truex has won both stages and the second groove isn't there.

No one passes him all day. Then near the end Larson passes him and his fucking track bar adjuster breaks a lap or two later and kills his chance at the win.

I think we all learned something new, though.

14 rounds of wedge equals out - 5.5" of trackbar lol

Verstappen fastest in practice two in Germany then has a noise while downshifting that his engineers could hear over his in cars camera microphone. They took it apart and had him out for a final run before the end of practice.

Vettel with a screamer to take pole and set new track record. Bottas second, Kimi third.

The image of Hammy pushing his car on the track would be hilarious if it wasn't so dangerous.

He could well be assessed a penalty of some sort for his antics and I'm sure he will be rebuked for disobeying team orders to 'stop, stop, stop stop.'

Vettel with a screamer to take pole and set new track record. Bottas second, Kimi third.

The image of Hammy pushing his car on the track would be hilarious if it wasn't so dangerous.

He could well be assessed a penalty of some sort for his antics and I'm sure he will be rebuked for disobeying team orders to 'stop, stop, stop stop.'

A real competitor tries to compete. He was also sick. His and Mercedes chances for the season pretty much ended right there. Maybe he can do something starting on harder tires.

yea sure.
a real 'professional' competitor obeys team orders, thinks long term and doesn't act like an impetuous child.

Mercedes saying the hydraulic failure caused a loss of power steering and hence the wide turn not the other way around. Kinda sounds like Mercedes is taking the blame to make Lewis feel better again

LOL Lewis comes from 14th to win after a perfect tire strategy and some rain. Vettel lost traction in the wet and put it into the wall. Lewis took the lead at that point as others changed tires under the safety car. Lewis had a lot pressure from Bottas on the restart, team orders told Bottas to hold position but at basically the exact same time it looked like he made an error/understeer losing time so who knows what would have happened. Regardless Lewis, Bottas, Kimi are the top 3.

Lewis now leads the points, 188 to Vettels 171.

Mercedes saying the hydraulic failure caused a loss of power steering and hence the wide turn not the other way around. Kinda sounds like Mercedes is taking the blame to make Lewis feel better again

They documented hydraulic fluid on the track prior to the turn. We seem to have some posters who don't like Lewis Hamilton.

A bad qualifying session turned into a great result for Mercedes and Hamilton. It allowed them to start on the harder tires to run longer. Hamilton was able to pass all of those cars and still save his tires to make progress on the leaders. Strategy played a big part too. Ferrari pitted Raikonnen to put a blocker in front of Hamilton and to try to get Mercedes to pit Bottas. Mercedes didn't pit and Ferrari kept Vettel out because of the threat of rain even though they could have pitted and still been ahead of Hamilton.

After Ferrari finally pitted Vettel, they had to put the harder tires on while Hamilton had the softest tires. Vettel came out behind Raikonnen. The fear of Hamilton being faster lead Ferrari to order Raikonnen to let Vettel pass to get the lead. Vettel was pushing hard to stretch the lead and ran himself off the track. That wouldn't have happened if Vettel had stayed behind Raikonnen.

Vettel's problem brought out the safety car which allowed the others to pit. Mercedes had some confusion on Bottas stop as at least one tire they had out was a rain tire so the stop was slow. There were enough lapped cars between Bottas and Hamilton that they were just able to divert Hamilton from stopping which gave him the lead with older tires against Bottas and Raikonnen who had new tires. Mercedes gave Bottas a shot at Hamilton on the start and he wasn't able to complete the pass. Then Mercedes had him back off to avoid a possible collision. Raikonnen never threatened Bottas.

LOL Lewis comes from 14th to win after a perfect tire strategy and some rain. Vettel lost traction in the wet and put it into the wall. Lewis took the lead at that point as others changed tires under the safety car. Lewis had a lot pressure from Bottas on the restart, team orders told Bottas to hold position but at basically the exact same time it looked like he made an error/understeer losing time so who knows what would have happened. Regardless Lewis, Bottas, Kimi are the top 3.

Lewis now leads the points, 188 to Vettels 171.

What made Vettel's off track hilarious was him whining about Raikonnen holding him up then losing it after they told Raikonnen to let him pass. I also enjoyed the way Kimi made them actually say it. Ferrari could have had a one two finish and wound up with a third and a dnf.

What made Vettel's off track hilarious was him whining about Raikonnen holding him up then losing it after they told Raikonnen to let him pass. I also enjoyed the way Kimi made them actually say it. Ferrari could have had a one two finish and wound up with a third and a dnf.

Absolutely, I had a pretty good laugh. I'm not a big fan of Vettel but I'm glad it was basically just a tap against the barrier, never like to see people get hurt.

Kimi calling out his team like that was amazing. Seriously though, "Kimi, you and Seb are on different strategies, please let him through." Pretty simple. Seb wasn't really that close to him was he, I can't remember? Like back and forth in and out of that drs range but not like on his gearbox.

Hammy facing time penalty for illegally and unsafely crossing pit lane entrance line, going back onto the track after deciding not to pit.
If the stewards give him a ten second penalty, he would come in third behind Bottas and Raikkonen.
The decision to review the incident came over an hour after the conclusion of the race.
(no doubt after a formal complaint was filed by Ferrari I bet)

Hammy facing time penalty for illegally and unsafely crossing pit lane entrance line, going back onto the track after deciding not to pit.
If the stewards give him a ten second penalty, he would come in third behind Bottas and Raikkonen.
The decision to review the incident came over an hour after the conclusion of the race.
(no doubt after a formal complaint was filed by Ferrari I bet)
Looks like he still gets the win. Incredible job by Mercedes

Back