Law Florida Stand Your Ground story

Joe_Armstrong

Starfleet Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Florida's "stand your ground" law could save a man from prosecution after he fatally shot another man following a heated argument over a parking space at a convenience store.

The shooting took place Thursday after Britany Jacobs, 24, parked in a handicapped-accessible spot at the Circle A Food Store in Clearwater, according to a news release from the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.
Sheriff's detectives said Michael Drejka, 47, approached Jacobs while her boyfriend Markeis McGlockton, and the couple's 5-year-old son, Markeis Jr., went into the store. Drejka and Jacobs began arguing about her parking in the handicapped parking space.

Witnesses told police that McGlockton came outside, walked over to Drejka while he was arguing and "forcibly pushed" Drejka, causing him to fall.
"This is a violent push, this wasn't a shove, this wasn't just a tap," Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said during a Friday press conference.
In response, the news release stated, Drejka pulled out a handgun while he was on the ground and shot McGlockton in the chest. ´

Cliffs :

- Guy lets girl know she shouldn't be in the handicapped parking spot
- An argument happens, just words.
- Her boyfriend and son come out of the supermarket.
-Guy pushes the non violent man to the ground.
-The pushed man shoots the guy in the chest and kills him.

CNN has the vid :

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/23/us/florida-stand-your-ground-fatal-shooting/index.html

My opinion is : If the dead guy just kept his hands to himself he would be alive.
What is your opinion ?

I support stand your ground and the castle doctorine, but the shooter has a history of his bullshit.
Secondly after he was pushed the dude that pushed him made no advance towards him.
If I can start shooting people for shoving me, every time I shop at the mall around Christmas I can have at least 20 legal kills.

The death penalty isn't a fair punishment for misdemeanor assault.

The guy was obviously looking for a kill.

25-life no parole.

I support stand your ground and the castle doctorine, but the shooter has a history of his bullshit.
Secondly after he was pushed the dude that pushed him made no advance towards him.
If I can start shooting people for shoving me, every time I shop at the mall around Christmas I can have at least 20 legal kills.

This, and the story was already talked about here.

The guy should not have assaulted the guy, and that got him killed... but the killer has a history of harassing people and was waiting for this incident to happen.

So I agree with the OP that the assault got the guy killed, but I also hope the SYG law doesn't hold up here, and the guy goes to jail for a long time. He seems like a mentally deranged person, so maybe life time at a psych facility, if not life time in jail.

The death penalty isn't a fair punishment for misdemeanor assault.

these are always dumb comments.

I agree with your second point. If he then followed him to the ground it would greatly strengthen the shooters position, looks like a bad shoot.

Amazing how different the story sounds when you frame it in defense of the murderer

these are always dumb comments.

I agree with your second point. If he then followed him to the ground it would greatly strengthen the shooters position, looks like a bad shoot.

Sorry a regular upstanding citizen wouldn't start a fight over a parking space with a woman. They'd call the police.

Also, if they get pushed they call the police they don't take out their gun and shoot them.

This is 2018 not 1818.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

suspect shooting? sure
do I feel sorry for the guy? not in the slightest

don't assault people you won't have to deal w/ the consequences (justified or not)

suspect shooting? sure
do I feel sorry for the guy? not in the slightest

don't assault people you won't have to deal w/ the consequences (justified or not)

You walk out of the store and you see a man yelling at your girl, you just stand there?

So the shooter was justified in shooting but the man was not justified to protect his woman?

You walk out of the store and you see a man yelling at your girl, you just stand there?
I don't assault them, no

i'm not a criminal

There's quite a few steps between 'nothing' and 'assaulting a person'.....

Don’t park in handicapped spots unless you are handicapped. She could have moved the car but that would negate her sense of entitlement.

The guy should have pushed the other guy. He could have just got in the car and let the girlfriend drive away. Instead he chose to push the guy and paid for it dearly.

Everyone is so quick to go at each other. Why can’t people just act like an adult and walk or leave?

I don't assault them, no

i'm not a criminal

There's quite a few steps between 'nothing' and 'assaulting a person'.....

Sorry I think protecting your girl is much more normal and culturally acceptable than shooting a person because he pushed you.\

That's a bitch move 100%.

Sorry I think protecting your girl is much more normal and culturally acceptable than shooting a person because he pushed you.\

That's a bitch move 100%.
I didn't say it wasn't, the shooting. You can also 'protect' someone under no physical danger whatsoever w/o assaulting someone else.....again, that's what criminals do.

It was a bitch move on the shooters part, but if it was in bounds of the law I guess hes technically ok, but he wasn't in immediate danger, the guy wasnt advancing, so in my uneducated opnion didnt look like he was standing ground as much as he was butthurt he got shoved like a lil bitch.

No, I'm not in favor of murdering somebody who pushed you down.

I just watched the video, it's disturbing as hell. That's murder, and one of the most cowardly things I've ever seen on video.

No, I'm not in favor of murdering somebody who pushed you down.

I just watched the video, it's disturbing as hell. That's murder, and one of the most cowardly things I've ever seen on video.

Yea, the shooter is fucked up and has a history of harassing people at that very spot. Dude needs to be locked up and is beyond unstable, just waiting for someone to assault him, so he can shoot them.

that is not the correct thread... ?

Back