Blast from the past: Max Payne

Max Payne 3 is one of those sequels where people make shit up to criticize the game because waaah it's not the original studio, even though Rockstar and Take 2 had been involved with both previous MP games. No atmosphere or horror? Please. It's a fucking Rockstar game and they do atmosphere better than anyone else.

Pre-release was the worst because people wrongfully equate noir to black and disregard all the noir movies and tales that take place in sunny, bright locations.

Max Payne 3 is the best one

Only thing I didn't like was that we couldn't understand the brazilians talking during the shoot outs. Some of the best moments in payne were listening to them talk shit to you or on the other side of a door before you busted in.

Only thing I didn't like was that we couldn't understand the brazilians talking during the shoot outs. Some of the best moments in payne were listening to them talk shit to you or on the other side of a door before you busted in.

After your first playthrough you can have subtitles on. I think you learn a lot more about the story if I remember correctly

After your first playthrough you can have subtitles on. I think you learn a lot more about the story if I remember correctly

Oh wow I didn't know that. I'd rather have the audio but that's not bad either.

The best thing in MP 3 were the flashback Jersey chapters. Max in Brazil was a weak move, didn't suit the series.

Try the Kung-Fu Max Payne mod..

It's amazing.

I loved the first game, loved the dialogue
"I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings."
"They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger."
The part where you had to follow a blood trail and the baby was crying the whole time gave me nightmares

Last edited:
I never played Max Payne 3 but I loved Max Payne 2

It's a rockstar game,therefore crap.

Why? Because they're popular? Pathetic hipster.
No,because they're shit. I don't have 1 rockstar game in my collections,and I'm a bit old to be called a hipster.

No,because they're shit. I don't have 1 rockstar game in my collections,and I'm a bit old to be called a hipster.
For reference what are your favorite games?

They are hugely popular so just saying they are “shit” is hard to judge without knowing what else you play?

What are you comparing them against?

Yeah, you're a hipster. It's one thing to not like the style of their games if you're mostly into JRPG, grand strategy, driving simulators or some other totally different genre but they are arguably the most consistent big studio as far as the quality of their games go.

They are one of the few developers whose games I dare to pre-order.

For reference what are your favorite games?

They are hugely popular so just saying they are “shit” is hard to judge without knowing what else you play?

What are you comparing them against?
don't really have favourites,i enjoyed horizon,zero dawn, alien isolation and a lot of first person shooters.used to play a lot of driving games, but had to stop for the sake of my blood pressure.
Yeah, you're a hipster. It's one thing to not like the style of their games if you're mostly into JRPG, grand strategy, driving simulators or some other totally different genre but they are arguably the most consistent big studio as far as the quality of their games go.

They are one of the few developers whose games I dare to pre-order.
good for you, i bet you are the sort that thought the darkness was a great game when it came out.

don't really have favourites,i enjoyed horizon,zero dawn, alien isolation and a lot of first person shooters.used to play a lot of driving games, but had to stop for the sake of my blood pressure.

good for you, i bet you are the sort that thought the darkness was a great game when it came out.
If those are acceptable games to you, then I'm not seeing a particularly strong argument on why Rock star games would be 'shit tier' compared to those examples. I don't like driving games, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to call all of them worthless because of a particular preference of mine.

ignoring neverwas amazingly stupid comments and stupid bias, almostr to the level of "i hate EA just because"

i played the first Max Payne when it was very first released and absolutely loved it, although i did get completely stuck at the very end of the game and had to read a guide on to beat the end game(looking back now...wow...kind of stupid, but i bet i used to skip the cutscenes and didnt have a clue whaty i was told).

I played MP3 a while ago, and it didnt ignite the same sort of gaming emotions, so i decided to uninstall it and keep the great memories i had with the first game.

I feel the same sort of nostalgia with a lot of those old school games i played when i first started PC gaming though, i didnt like the sequels to Hitman or Mafia either

ignoring neverwas amazingly stupid comments and stupid bias, almostr to the level of "i hate EA just because"

i played the first Max Payne when it was very first released and absolutely loved it, although i did get completely stuck at the very end of the game and had to read a guide on to beat the end game(looking back now...wow...kind of stupid, but i bet i used to skip the cutscenes and didnt have a clue whaty i was told).

I played MP3 a while ago, and it didnt ignite the same sort of gaming emotions, so i decided to uninstall it and keep the great memories i had with the first game.

I feel the same sort of nostalgia with a lot of those old school games i played when i first started PC gaming though, i didnt like the sequels to Hitman or Mafia either
Thats usually the way it goes but not always.

Sometimes it is reversed though and the games get better as the series goes on.

For instance
Jedi Knight< Jedi Outcast<Jedi Acadamy.

IMO anyway.

I fell like Jedi Knight had the best lightsaber fighting of all of the SW games ever, from a certain point of view

You could decide what styles of lightsaber combat you wanted to learn and strengthen with your character. If you advanced enough you could have more than one style, and switch between them in combat.

I used this often when fighting harder enimies, switch mid fight and it throws them off

Could you at least elaborate on why you think Rockstar's entire game library sucks? With the examples of games you like, the grudge against Rockstar doesn't really add up. I could see it, if your favorite games were something like RTS, and RPG games, but you obviously like a lot of games that aren't all that dissimilar to what Rockstar does.

Could you at least elaborate on why you think Rockstar's entire game library sucks? With the examples of games you like, the grudge against Rockstar doesn't really add up. I could see it, if your favorite games were something like RTS, and RPG games, but you obviously like a lot of games that aren't all that dissimilar to what Rockstar does.
i've always found them boring. didn't realise it till i tried to play a max pain game again, that it was rockstar that made it. looked at all the games i didn't like, and it was rockstar games.

Back