NCAA Wrestling

I read that the Russians sent a good team to use this tournament as prep for Nationals.
So did Team USA send any wrestlers to Tblisi?
I would say 'a' team lol, I would say many of the wrestlers here are Russian, but only some will progress to the nationals (or, very little have potential to medal). Urishev (who won silver at Yarygin this year; lost to Sadulaev in the finals) got gold here. I think there are good wrestlers here, but not many potential wrestlers for the national team. 125 will probably be good for the nationals, Ramonov will definitely be up there and I will need to see who else. There are many Iranians, Uzbeks, Kyrgyz and Kazakhs here, too; no Americans. But yes, this is a good tournament for prep. GR is strange because the lack of competitors, if you lose; you can still enter the semifinals lol.

I would say 'a' team lol, I would say many of the wrestlers here are Russian, but only some will progress to the nationals (or, very little have potential to medal). Urishev (who won silver at Yarygin this year; lost to Sadulaev in the finals) got gold here. I think there are good wrestlers here, but not many potential wrestlers for the national team. 125 will probably be good for the nationals, Ramonov will definitely be up there and I will need to see who else. There are many Iranians, Uzbeks, Kyrgyz and Kazakhs here, too; no Americans. But yes, this is a good tournament for prep. GR is strange because the lack of competitors, if you lose; you can still enter the semifinals lol.
Did Magomedrasul Gazimagomedov enter? He mustve been injured for a while bc he won worlds in 2015 in an extremely tough 70 kilo class and then kinda fell off the map for a while. Now he is active again. He may have a few MMA fights under his belt too and has trained with Khabib and Rustam Khabilov.

As for this:
"GR is strange because the lack of competitors, if you lose; you can still enter the semifinals lol."

Is this just the usual case where if you lose to a wrestler that makes the finals you get pulled back in to the repechage and get a chance to wrestle for a bronze?

Did Magomedrasul Gazimagomedov enter? He mustve been injured for a while bc he won worlds in 2015 in an extremely tough 70 kilo class and then kinda fell off the map for a while. Now he is active again. He may have a few MMA fights under his belt too and has trained with Khabib and Rustam Khabilov.

As for this:
"GR is strange because the lack of competitors, if you lose; you can still enter the semifinals lol."

Is this just the usual case where if you lose to a wrestler that makes the finals you get pulled back in to the repechage and get a chance to wrestle for a bronze?
At 70, the only Russian representative was Soslan Ramonov. I look forward to see a potential Ramonov vs Gadzhimagomedov vs Kurbanaliev battle at the Nationals. Either one of these guys (more-so Ramonov and Kurbanaliev) is a strong contender for the world's gold this year. Wait.. did he say he was interested in MMA? It would be cool to see. I would like to see guys like Snyder, Sadulaev etc try MMA, but I can't imagine they get paid poorly based on their success. I think Dauren Kurugliev wants to move into MMA though.

That is what I mean, the brackets are crazy because in some of the divisions there are only 10-14 wrestlers. So, there are no quarterfinals, just round 3 to semifinals.

At 70, the only Russian representative was Soslan Ramonov. I look forward to see a potential Ramonov vs Gadzhimagomedov vs Kurbanaliev battle at the Nationals. Either one of these guys (more-so Ramonov and Kurbanaliev) is a strong contender for the world's gold this year. Wait.. did he say he was interested in MMA? It would be cool to see. I would like to see guys like Snyder, Sadulaev etc try MMA, but I can't imagine they get paid poorly based on their success. I think Dauren Kurugliev wants to move into MMA though.

That is what I mean, the brackets are crazy because in some of the divisions there are only 10-14 wrestlers. So, there are no quarterfinals, just round 3 to semifinals.
I should've mentioned that Gadzhimagomedov (like so many other guys) has moved up a division, likely due to the new weigh in procedures. He is up at 74 now.

Yasar Dogu ranking series will start on Friday. Team USA will send their world squad, same with Azerbaijan, maybe Georgia too, and Turkey will of course be there. Russia won't be, because our nationals are in the beginning of August.

Yasar Dogu ranking series will start on Friday. Team USA will send their world squad, same with Azerbaijan, maybe Georgia too, and Turkey will of course be there. Russia won't be, because our nationals are in the beginning of August.
Nice. Yasar Dogu has always attracted some tippy top guys. Interesting side note, Of the 4 matches Jordan Burroughs has lost in his senior level international career, 1 of those occurred at the Dogu (to fellow American Nick Marable btw). Granted it was a very close match and Marable is hard to score on. That was in 2014 when an injured Burroughs lost to Tsargush. Im really looking forward to some of the matches im sure will play out here.

Nice. Yasar Dogu has always attracted some tippy top guys. Interesting side note, Of the 4 matches Jordan Burroughs has lost in his senior level international career, 1 of those occurred at the Dogu (to fellow American Nick Marable btw). Granted it was a very close match and Marable is hard to score on. That was in 2014 when an injured Burroughs lost to Tsargush. Im really looking forward to some of the matches im sure will play out here.
I don't understand how points work. If you have more points, does it mean that you will be seeded with lesser-wrestlers, or higher ranked wrestlers?

This tournament should be fun, I want to see how the USA does with their stacked team. There should be a few rematches here. Steiber vs Aliyev, Burroughs vs Chamizo (maybe) and Sharifov vs Cox.

It is sad that Turkey's main guys like Akgul and Demirtash (Euro 2018 gold medalist) won't be there. But should still be good.

Well, this Yasar Dogu seems like a blowout lol. USA are having great success, except from Steiber who got put out in the first round.

I was surprised to see Haji Aliyev and Giorgi Edisherashvili not competing here. They would have been favorite to win at 65 and maybe 57.

Wow, I did not expect Snyder to lose here. He lost by 3-3 criteria vs Aslanbek Alborov.

Wow, I did not expect Snyder to lose here. He lost by 3-3 criteria vs Aslanbek Alborov.

Apparently Alborov beat him before. They are 2-2 against each other.

That being said I think Snyder could use a break after worlds.

He's been competing in NCAAs and Freestyle nonstop 4 years in a row. And at NCAAs he was competing at HW.

Taylor has been absolutely dominant these past couple years. I see him taking gold here and in Oct.

Interested to see how Dake does. Really hope he can win it to give some confidence before worlds.

Last edited:
Taylor has been absolutely dominant these past couple years. I see him taking gold here and in Oct.

Interested to see how Dake does. Really hope he can win it to give some confidence before worlds.
I think he has a good chance at taking gold at the Worlds. But I really think Yazdani will beat him this time, Yazdani seldom gives up any points and is relentless with his underhooks. I think he is the only guy that will be a challenge for Taylor, and maybe Naifonov in a few years.

Dake should win here, I don't think 79 is too stacked at this event.

I am surprised to see Steiber, Green and Cox without the chance to wrestle for a medal, and Snyder to wrestle for bronze. Unexpected. I thought Steiber, Green and Cox (outside of Sharifov) would be the favorites in their categories.

Wow, Burroughs wins silver. Chamizo beats Burroughs 10-10 in a crazy match.

Back