Worms frozen for 40,000 years come back to life

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
B-b-but, the Earth is only 6,000 years old.

Samples of permafrost sediment frozen for the past 42,000 years were recently thawed to reveal living nematodes.

Within weeks the roundworms began to move and eat, setting a record for the time an animal can survive cryogenic preservation.

Aside from revealing new limits of endurance, it just might prove useful when it comes to preserving our own tissues.

The worms were left for several weeks at a relatively warm 20 degrees Celsius (68 Fahrenheit) as they gradually showed signs of life.

Some of the worms – belonging to the genus Panagrolaimus – were found 30 metres (100 feet) underground in what had once been a ground squirrel burrow which caved in and froze over around 32,000 years ago.

So we can be fairly confident these worms really did awaken from one incredibly long nap.

Reviving ancient organisms is itself nothing new. In 2000, scientists pulled spores from Bacillus bacteria hidden inside 250 million year old salt crystals and managed to return them to life.

https://www.sciencealert.com/40-000-year-old-nematodes-revived-siberian-permafrost
https://bgr.com/2018/07/27/frozen-worms-40000-years-old-russia/

Careful what you wish for

Worms-win-cover.jpg

Last edited:
Those worms and tardigrades are like the airplane black boxes of life.
They are the corn that persists...

Great. We're gonna get dinosaur- AIDS next summer. smh
There are concerns that the melting of permafrost could release pathogens locked up in deep freeze for tens of thousands of years.

Nematodes are unlikely to pose much of a concern, but their survival is evidence that a diverse array of organisms – from bacteria to animals, plants to fungi – could potentially return after a long absence.

Exactly what this means for surrounding ecosystems is still anybody's guess.

Rick Rossovich knew what he was talking about.

Great. We're gonna get dinosaur- AIDS next summer. smh

Was going to post something similar.
But I can't catch a break.
tenor.gif

I feel like there have been a few movies as to why this is a bad idea...

I, for one, welcome our new slithery overlords

The Fedor of worms,imo

I heard they're somewhere in Bernie Sanders' family tree.

They should freeze Erik Silva while he’s still young and unleash his limitless potential on unsuspecting fighters in 5000 years.

Release it in the desert.

tumblr_mm8tsfPx6b1re0tayo1_400.gif

Bobbit Worm

tumblr_msboogATr11rdredko1_400.jpg

...ten foot long predatory worm with TEETH

tumblr_lszvtcYxPG1qejujro1_500.jpg

tumblr_mfp2mz8zkq1ry14qgo1_400.gif

Cross its DNA with a Anaconda and Release The Hounds!

Back