Who would you pick? Aldo vs Ortega. *2019*

Beerus

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is going down next year... Will Aldo be the man to give him his first defeat?

Tough fight to pick, even though Ortega already has 7 fights in the UFC and 3 against high-level fighters I still don't feel confident picking him over Aldo.

Need to see more from him. Right now I'd pick Aldo.

Bad idea for ufc to book him against Aldo if max doesn’t decide to vacate

Aldo gasses out and gets stopped in round 3.

He may not gass with these things playing a part

1. Confident aldo may have a better gas tank, new outlook.
2. Learning not to gass himself out like he did against holloway
3. Ortega not being able to push aldo like holloway did

3 Rounds - Aldo confident pick
5 Rounds - Aldo but Ortega has a much more likely path to victory.

Last edited:
You think Ortega has the durability or striking skill of Holloway to replicate that? Wouldn't be surprised to see Aldo finish Ortega in the first couple of rounds Ortegas defence is so bad and Aldo fights so violently his last few fights.

3 Rounds - Aldo confident pick
5 Rounds - Aldo but Ortega has much more likely path to victory.

Why? Ortega has only gone 5 rounds once in his career, and that was while he was still on PEDs.
He won that fight via split-decision, and he didn't look too great in the 4th and 5th.

Aldo has gone 5 rounds multiple times, beat Edgar without gassing in a 5 round fight.

Y'all are underrating Aldo's cardio, just because Holloway pushes an incredible pace. Go rewatch the Holloway fights, the pace that he sets is absolutely insane.

Why? Ortega has only gone 5 rounds once in his career, and that was while he was still on PEDs.
He won that fight via split-decision, and he didn't look too great in the 4th and 5th.
As much as I think Ortega is overrated as hell we've never seen him slow down even in very high pace fights like with Moicano. Also he's more than happy to just walk forward getting beaten up which could potentially, assuming he doesn't get finished (which is a big assumption) slow Aldo down enough for Ortega to get a finish. Its not that I think Aldo has to finish the fight if its 5 rounds its just it opens up a very significant path to victory that's otherwise unavailable for Ortega.

Obviously Holloway pushes a high pace but it wouldn't be crazy to think Aldos cardio could of declined since the Edgar fight 2 years ago or that over 5 rounds Ortega could get him to slow at least somewhat. You only need to go and rewatch the Hominick or Lamas fights to see that happening.

Ortega has a tendency of being too passive.

Aldo gassed because Max Holloway has Duracell Rabbit pace.

AnyVigorousHamadryad-size_restricted.gif

I don't like the match up until Ortega fights Max first.

Ortega is a great contender. And Aldo could derail him.

But we need a fresh contender for Max.

Ortega has a tendency of being too passive.

Aldo gassed because Max Holloway has Duracell Rabbit pace.

AnyVigorousHamadryad-size_restricted.gif
He was pushing a pace vs Moicano and Frankie though. The difference there of course is he didn't respect their power so was happy to. As Stephens found out it would be foolish to underestimate Aldo like that.

He was pushing a pace vs Moicano and Frankie though. The difference there of course is he didn't respect their power so was happy to. As Stephens found out it would be foolish to underestimate Aldo like that.
I agree. Aldo is used to gain his opponents respect early in the fights. Everybody except Max (who has a stupidly crazy chin) and Stephens (who got KTFOed) go toe to toe with him.

Ortega gets his legs and face battered so badly he doesn't fight for 12 months after.

How can people still be doubting Ortega.

He'd beat 2019 Aldo. Aldo's still good but obviously not the same fighter he once was, and Ortega just keeps getting better and better. While Aldo just adds more and more miles and that cut to 145 gets tougher and tougher. Ortega would finish him.

How can people still be doubting Ortega.

He'd beat 2019 Aldo. Aldo's still good but obviously not the same fighter he once was, and Ortega just keeps getting better and better. While Aldo just adds more and more miles and that cut to 145 gets tougher and tougher. Ortega would finish him.
That's easy to say but how would he finish him? A sub just plain isn't gonna happen and we just watched Aldo eats Jeremy Stephens best shots and not give a shit and instead walk him down and brutally finish him.

But isn't Ortega waiting for his title shot?
Unless May is really messed up and can't fight, and they turn that fight into an interim or something, I don't see the fight being even booked.

Back