Who will be the next WORLD CHAMPION to break the MAGIC EIGHT?

Rum

Champion of Champions
@Silver
Reaction score
Any fighter can have one good title fight and win gold. Then a proportion of those champs had what it took to string together two good title fights and mount a successful defense of their crown. A smaller proportion than that managed to defend twice. Still fewer compiled 3. Etc. This isn't news to most of you. Any non-casual knows why 8+ defenses is considered the toughest ask in the game. The challenge of winning a title in a second division is nothing to sniff at (even if you do outweigh your "bigger" opponent) but compared to the EPIC SAGA that must be written to encompass 8+ defenses of a World Title, winning a mere 2 title fights in separate divisions is relatively small fry.

Only five masters of the game have achieved this monumental task.
  • 11 DJ
  • 10 Spider (robbed of 11th by Lutter's lack of professionalism missing weight)
  • 9 GSP
  • 9 Jose Scarface
  • 8 Jonny Bones
Ronda fell at 7. Joanna, Hughes and Tito all fell at 5.

So which of the current champs, if any, has what it takes to join that small, elite band of LEGENDS who have cracked 8+, and expand THE FABULOUS FIVE to THE SPLENDID SIX?
  • 1 Thug Rose
  • 0 Nicco
  • 3 Amanda Leao
  • 2 Cyborg
  • 0 Henry
  • 1 Snake
  • 1 Max Blessed
  • 0 The Eagle
  • 3 T-Wood
  • 0 Robert Knuckles (robbed of 1 by Romero's lack of professionalism missing weight)
  • 2 DC
  • 0 DC
ETA: Teej!

Last edited:
I like the dramatics in this thread. I'll go with Max assuming he's healthy.

Cyborg's the obvious answer since she's got limited competition & murks pretty much everyone due to her size & strength advantage.

I'd be stoked if Whittaker could get 8 defences but he's facing a murderer's row of top-tier competition so its unlikely.

Why 8? Why not 7 and put Ronda in there? Or 9 and take Jones out? Seems arbitrary.

I think Amanda Nunes. I dont see many top contenders in bantamweight.

If DJ retired tomorrow, then Cejudo would be a good pick to break 8 defenses. I don't think anyone in the UFC FLW division is on his level apart from DJ, and the best guy after them is fighting in RIZIN.

Any fighter can have one good title fight and win gold. Then a proportion of those champs had what it took to string together two good title fights and mount a successful defense of their crown. A smaller proportion than that managed to defend twice. Still fewer compiled 3. Etc. This isn't news to most of you. Any non-casual knows why 8+ defenses is considered the toughest ask in the game. The challenge of winning a title in a second division is nothing to sniff at (even if you do outweigh your "bigger" opponent) but compared to the EPIC SAGA that must be written to encompass 8+ defenses of a World Title, winning a mere 2 title fights in separate divisions is relatively small fry.

Only five masters of the game have achieved this monumental task.
  • 11 DJ
  • 10 Spider (robbed of 11th by Lutter's lack of professionalism missing weight)
  • 9 GSP
  • 9 Jose Scarface
  • 8 Jonny Bones
Ronda fell at 7. Joanna, Hughes and Tito all fell at 5.

So which of the current champs, if any, has what it takes to join that small, elite band of LEGENDS who have cracked 8+, and expand THE FABULOUS FIVE to THE SPLENDID SIX?
  • 1 Thug Rose
  • 0 Nicco
  • 3 Amanda Leao
  • 2 Cyborg
  • 0 Henry
  • 1 Max Blessed
  • 0 The Eagle
  • 3 T-Wood
  • 0 Robert Knuckles (robbed of 1 by Romero's lack of professionalism missing weight)
  • 2 DC
  • 0 DC
Clearly Cyborg if she stays and gets enough comp. The talent isn't there to beat her. Ronda and Holly were the best shot but Ronda retired without accepting the fight at 140 and Holly got beat at her own game.

I think she will gas Amanda and tee off on her

I think Tyrun could, but that means him and Dana need to play nice with each other and that's less likely than Honda getting that belt back

Wait till Erick Silva enters his prime. He will beat them all!

here is a recent picture of him. He's looking swole these days.

paulo-costa-ufc-217-ceremonial-weigh-ins.jpg

If DJ retired tomorrow, then Cejudo would be a good pick to break 8 defenses. I don't think anyone in the UFC FLW division is on his level apart from DJ, and the best guy after them is fighting in RIZIN.

Benavidez beat him a little over a year ago. Lol

I disagree with the premise, winning belts in two divisions is no small fry, compared to anything.

People always taking things for granted after the fact. Two belts at the same time is fucking impressive.

Benavidez beat him a little over a year ago. Lol
Benavidez looked like shit in his last fight and got lucky against Henry anyway. If not for Cejudo's inadvertent groin shot that got him docked a point, he would've lost.

I disagree with the premise, winning belts in two divisions is no small fry, compared to anything.

People always taking things for granted after the fact. Two belts at the same time is fucking impressive.

Literally all the 2 weight champions have been gifted a title shot at at least once.

Easier to win a title when you get a shot despite being 0-0 in the division.

Benavidez looked like shit in his last fight and got lucky against Henry anyway. If not for Cejudo's inadvertent groin shot that got him docked a point, he would've lost.

Benavidez had ring rust last fight and will most likely look better next time. Plus, it's not like Cejudo is a vastly different fighter. He uses a karate style stance now but his main goal is still to wrestlefuck most of the time.

Literally all the 2 weight champions have been gifted a title shot at at least once.

Easier to win a title when you get a shot despite being 0-0 in the division.
exactly.

which makes GSP's run through the WW division that much better. when hughes armbarred him, he went on and fought increasingly difficult competition. winning multiple fights against top contenders to earn your shot is difficult. anyone can win one fight, bisping made a career out of it. but dominating multiple killers on your way to the belt, and dominating hungry challengers after you win it, that's the truly impressive feat.

GSP's career at 170 is a thing of legend. winning the MW belt is nice, but nothing compared to his legacy at WW.

Back