Premier League Thread 2018/19 v2: COYS - Emery OUT - Arsenal v Man City Edition

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
...especially inflated prices for Prem teams.
I mentioned this several times during the week.

Take Maxi Gómez who was close to joining West Ham for example. Celta was pleading with the Chinese to give them 30 M€ for him and yet they wanted 50 M€ from West Ham.

Another example is Sergej. Lotito was going to let him walk for 100 M€ to Madrid and when he heard there was interest from United, he began saying he would only considering letting Sergej walk for 120 M€.

In England you have to pay more than anywhere else for players, whether it is wages, signing bonus and general fees to the other clubs. That at least softens the money advantage a little bit, the prices for english clubs are crazy and for deals within England it is even worse.

United is a perfect example for that, they pay an insane amount in wages and often in transfer fees, yet the team looks kinda "meh" when you take that into consideration. Not saying that the team isn't good, just an example for the especially inflated prices for Prem teams.

.......and it's only going to get worse.

When the likes of Fulham, West Ham, Leicester and Everton can (and in all probability NEED) to spend 100m+ in a window you know it's gone mental.

I thought that we had all found some common ground in agreeing that foreign coaching/coach's are just far superior to English Managers

How many English/British managers are there in the PREM. Without checking, I''m guessing 5 max, and all of them mid-table at best clubs.

I've said it before but competing for the CL and domestic league is the ultimate test. That said the CL is not a 100% fair competition. Each domestic league is different, and the strains it puts on it's team very quite a bit. The easier the domestic league, the bigger advantage you should have for the CL.

In recent years Juve, PSG and Bayern have had it far easier than the PREM teams and La Liga teams in the CL. And at the risk of hearing the wrath of La Liga fans I'd suggest the PREM have it harder than la Liga teams at the same time (City last year perhaps being an exception).

Barca/Real having had Messi/Ronaldo is obviously a huge anomaly as well.

Thing is it ain't going to get any easier for the PREM so they'll have to learn to adapt better or face another 10 years of struggle.

I think we've agreed on most of this for awhile now. While PSG, Juve and Buyern usually have their league wrapped up in January theoretically they should coast through the CL but they usually lose to LL teams.

I do think that the adage 'iron sharpens iron' is true for the EPL and LL teams. While PSG, Buyern and Juve beat up on farmers and schoolteachers, LL and EPL teams are being tested almost on a weekly basis. Before last season LL came down to the final weekend to crown its champions like 5 years in a row. One of those teams was also competing for the CDR and the CL so it didn't hurt them competing on all those fronts.The EPL in their golden years of the late 2000's was competitive league wise and dominated Europe too.

This is a really competitive and good game. Makes sense, Sevilla being back in the Europa League must have rejuvenated them.

Tiger only one back at the PGA Championship.

<{Joewithit}>

What the hell is Suarez doing today. Fucking terrible.

Premiership Club owners are greedy to the point of self immolation

I think we've agreed on most of this for awhile now. While PSG, Juve and Buyern usually have their league wrapped up in January theoretically they should coast through the CL but they usually lose to LL teams.

I do think that the adage 'iron sharpens iron' is true for the EPL and LL teams. While PSG, Buyern and Juve beat up on farmers and schoolteachers, LL and EPL teams are being tested almost on a weekly basis. Before last season LL came down to the final weekend to crown its champions like 5 years in a row. One of those teams was also competing for the CDR and the CL so it didn't hurt them competing on all those fronts.The EPL in their golden years of the late 2000's was competitive league wise and dominated Europe too.

The EPL never really dominated the CL ever, imo. Whilst we were the strongest representative for a 4-5 year stretch (I think we had 3 of 4 semi finalists on 3 occasions), the fact is there have only been 3 CL winners fron the PREM this century. A lot of falling at the final hurdle.

Whilst the level of competition is obviously the biggest factor in determining how gruelling a league is, there are other factors too, which all add up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back