California using license plate readers to track welfare recipients

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Since 2016, Sacramento County officials have been accessing license plate reader data to track welfare recipients suspected of fraud, the Sacramento Bee reported over the weekend.
Sacramento County Department of Human Assistance Director Ann Edwards confirmed to the paper that welfare fraud investigators working under the DHA have used the data for two years on a “case-by-case” basis. Edwards said the DHA pays about $5,000 annually for access to the database.

Since June 2016, when the county started using ALPR data, investigators discovered fraud had occurred in about 13,000 of the 35,412 fraud referrals they investigated, or about 37 percent of the time, the DHA said. Welfare fraud includes activities like failing to report income and claiming care for a child who does not actually live with the benefits recipient, the DHA said.
Twenty-two welfare fraud investigators and investigative assistants have accessed ALPR data a total of 1,110 times in that two-year period, Edwards said, meaning they use ALPR data about 2.5 percent of the time.
“It doesn’t appear to be overused,” Edwards said. “I think we use it very judiciously and only when needed to investigate fraud.”

Edwards said DHA pays about $5,000 each year to access the data, which Vigilant Solutions sells to law enforcement and investigatory agencies around the country. Company representatives would not provide details about how data is collected or sold, but The Atlantic reported in 2016 that Vigilant Solutions had stored about 2.2 billion photos of license plates at the time, and photographs about 80 million per month.

The EFF, which examined the use of ALPR data by the county over a two-year period, has been collecting mandated privacy and use policies for agencies in California that rely on license plate data. It says DHA did not have one in place.
“Instead of telling me, ‘Hey, we don’t have a policy,’ they generated a policy really quickly and then gave it to me as if it had existed,” Maass said. “It was only when I called back again and said, ‘Hey did this exist (prior to our request),’ they said, ‘No, we didn’t know until you submitted a public records request.’”
Edwards said her department was unaware it was required by Senate Bill 34, which took effect at the beginning of 2016, to create a privacy and usage policy that respected people’s privacy and civil liberties. She said as soon as EFF told her department about the violation, DHA quickly created a policy and posted it on its website, in accordance with state law.

https://gizmodo.com/california-officials-admit-to-using-license-plate-reade-1828313821

Welfare fraud is a pretty big issue. I don't see an issue with this. There needs to be some accountability. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen welfare fraudsters run while holding their cane or pick up their wheelchair out of the back of their truck when they thought no one was looking.

$5,000/yr for access to that database. Holy cow, that is efficient. That is a wipe-your-ass cheap strategy to uncover all of this welfare fraud.

Well done, Sacramento.

I was going to make a comment about what a waste of money a fancy ass tracking system was, when it would catch poverty level fraud. But it seems pretty cheap and welfare fraud is an issue that costs taxpayer money after all

My much bigger issue, is that all that information was gathered without a lick of a search warrant. 4th amendment may as well be crossed out

It's even a private fucking company. This "Vigilant Solutions" that is legally tracking and storing our every car's movement (whether under an investigation or not) and then selling that information to the police departments if someone becomes on their watch list. But you and I, with no probable cause whatsoever, are still being subjected to this license plate tracking search

Please some lawyer go after this

Last edited:
Welfare fraud is a pretty big issue. I don't see an issue with this. There needs to be some accountability. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen welfare fraudsters run while holding their cane or pick up their wheelchair out of the back of their truck when they thought no one was looking.

Welfare fraud isn't even in the top 20 issues in America, I wouldn't call it a pretty big issue.

Just something to concerned about and police like any other crime.

Elect progressives like California, you get big govt, less freedoms, and now you're gonna get tracked!

George_Orwell.jpg

He knew what was up...

Cant have welfare fraud if we just give poor people money. Cut the fat out that are these agencies that distribute food stamps, housing, health care, etc and just give people money.

We also won’t need private security tracking people

Welfare fraud isn't even in the top 20 issues in America, I wouldn't call it a pretty big issue.

Just something to concerned about and police like any other crime.
Or we could look at it as its own issue and not pretend its not an issue because of other unrelated issues.

Cant have welfare fraud if we just give poor people money. Cut the fat out that are these agencies that distribute food stamps, housing, health care, etc and just give people money.
{<doc}

Yeah, handing out cash will solve all of these problems.

$5,000/yr for access to that database. Holy cow, that is efficient. That is a wipe-your-ass cheap strategy to uncover all of this welfare fraud.

Well done, Sacramento.
If they catch one person a year it pretty much pays for it self.

Also, if you're going to sign your life away to the state you should expect strings to be attached

{<doc}

Yeah, handing out cash will solve all of these problems.
It will be more cost efficient (this is a fact) while reducing poverty. If you give people X amount of money, they will do with it what they choose, and they can’t say they don’t have money or that welfare isn’t generous enough.

You just don’t like it because of the way it makes you feel not because of any facts.

Or we could look at it as its own issue and not pretend its not an issue because of other unrelated issues.
The second part of his post is literally the same thing as this post.

Obviously welfare fraud is very near and dear to your heart because you’re making an ass out of yourself.

good, presumably this bans those for life from receiving SW benefits?

I was going to make a comment about what a waste of money a fancy ass tracking system was, when it would catch poverty level fraud. But it seems pretty cheap and welfare fraud is an issue that costs taxpayer money after all

My much bigger issue, is that all that information was gathered without a lick of a search warrant. 4th amendment may as well be crossed out

It's even a private fucking company. This "Vigilant Solutions" that is legally tracking and storing our every car's movement (whether under an investigation or not) and then selling that information to the police departments if someone becomes on their watch list. But you and I, with no probable cause whatsoever, are still being subjected to this license plate tracking search

Please some lawyer go after this
I don't see how the 4th Amendment is relevant, here. Nothing was searched or seized. No property or "effects" were violated.

It's a smart tactic, I don't know if it fits everyone's prevailing prejudices that most of the fraud this catches will be cases of welfare recipients spending more time working than they're letting on, but that's not all that important.

Back