Grand Jury report on Catholic Church sex abuse in Pennsylvania

I'd be glad to see any research you have linking pedophilia with celibacy . It is my understanding that all research shown no connection.

The rest of your post is not so far of IMO. I have met many good priests but not enough exceedingly holy ones. I have met some though.

I think you're misunderstanding the point of allowing clergy to marry.

If clergy were allowed to marry, the Church would attract more normal people and hopefully crowd out the pedophiles looking for access to victims.

If clergy were allowed to marry, the Church would attract more normal people and hopefully crowd out the pedophiles looking for access to victims.
I agree.

Well I am personally not against priests being allowed to Mary just FYI. On the other hand pedophilia is not caused by celibacy so unless you required priests to be married this would not solve the problem.

One reason for celibacy is availability to parishoners. Ideally priests have no ties to wife or children and so are always available for service. I've just known too many celibates who are perfectly well adjusted to life and exceptionaly on fire.

Still I think a mix would be fine.

I'm kind of shocked at the amount of people who support a sweeping death penalty. I'm not some anti capital punishment type but holy shit. Look at what we have become... I guess?

Homosexuality is not the same thing as pedophilia.
If you want to argue that pedophiles use the church to prey on the weak I would agree with you.
But conflating homosexuality and pedophilia is ignorant.

I know homosexuality is the sacred cow in today’s society, but you gotta be naive not to see the link

Homosexuality was viewed as cardinal sin, punishable by death for long time

What other profession/position would permit a homosexual To not get married to a woman n live out his homosexual urges without getting caught?

I'm kind of shocked at the amount of people who support a sweeping death penalty. I'm not some anti capital punishment type but holy shit. Look at what we have become... I guess?

Probably same ppl who shit on ksa n Iran n act all superior

Probably same ppl who shit on ksa n Iran n act all superior
Yea, because we are so humane and keep people in a cage for 30 years before we inject them with some concoction a lab coat nazi created we are so much better

People here still go crazy every time the pope visits. They line up and act like he's this super powered, enlightened being and not someone who has been part of the abuse scandal cover up.

This has been my point all along in the thread. Gay men and heterosexual men dont just get super horny because of celibacy and then have sex with young boys..... Its the other way around -- pedophiles place themselves in positions where they can prey on children.

None of this excuses the way the church covered it all up in any way though.

I expect there are a certain number of pedophiles who put themselves in those positions intentionally, but I expect many of them are created through the cycle of abuse. It's well known abused kids have a higher chance of becoming pedophiles in later life. They target the weaker more malleable kids, some of whom then end up becoming the next generation of abusers.

The most sickening thing is the fact the institute protects them. All they have to do repent and beg for forgiveness, and the non-pedo priests move them to different parish and leave them to molest another bunch of kids.

I know homosexuality is the sacred cow in today’s society, but you gotta be naive not to see the link

Homosexuality was viewed as cardinal sin, punishable by death for long time

What other profession/position would permit a homosexual To not get married to a woman n live out his homosexual urges without getting caught?

this is a really dumb revisionist bullshit argument.
Being a witch was also punishable by death for minute.
I don't even know how to address the suggestion that gay people either worked for the church or were unemployed, or that gay sex only happened between clergy.

Well I am personally not against priests being allowed to Mary just FYI. On the other hand pedophilia is not caused by celibacy so unless you required priests to be married this would not solve the problem.

One reason for celibacy is availability to parishoners. Ideally priests have no ties to wife or children and so are always available for service. I've just known too many celibates who are perfectly well adjusted to life and exceptionaly on fire.

Still I think a mix would be fine.
Again, nobody is suggesting celibacy creates pedophiles.
And being always available for service is a poor and outdated argument for celibacy. Priests have off hours, they take vacations, and the sleep.

However as a follower of Catholic theology and especially the unbroken chain of saints from the time of Christ to the present I hope the church survives this scandal.

As long as there's fear, religion and churches will be around. They count on it.

Again, nobody is suggesting celibacy creates pedophiles.
And being always available for service is a poor and outdated argument for celibacy. Priests have off hours, they take vacations, and the sleep.

We will have to disagree on the need to always be of service being outdated. Getting lost in love is still a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as there's fear, religion and churches will be around. They count on it.

Yeah I guess so at the lowest end of it. I am surrounded by Christians and not a single one of them does it out of fear. They do it because it makes them better people and they want to grow in love.

The other problem is that most of the guilty are already dead because a lot of this happened in the 1950's. I hope they are facing punishment in the afterlife.

They will.
I truly believe that.

Didn't see a thread on this so apologies if there was one, but I thought this was disturbing and sadly typical of the Catholic Church, which a lot of times seems more like some kind of money laundering pedo-cult than anything else. In Pennsylvania they just had a grand jury release a report on predatory priests and the coverups by the Church in that state going back to the 40s. They concluded that over 1000 kids had been molested by over 300 priests and covered up by high-ranking church officials over 70 years. Who knows what the real number is, and that's excluding Philly and Altoona-Johnstown dioceses because they had their own grand juries, for fuck's sake.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/us/catholic-church-sex-abuse-pennsylvania.html

There's some really infuriating shit in there.

I'm just now reading through the actual report and already my blood is boiling because you see a lot of the actual correspondence from bishops and other higher-ups covering for the sick fucks. Lying to the victims, etc it's impossible to spin some of this shit.

http://media-downloads.pacourts.us/InterimRedactedReportandResponses.pdf?cb=42148

We see it again and again with the Church. We also see it other places, some places that you have a lot of money, power, prestige, patronage, politicking etc you get these situations where men are abusing children and their crimes are ignored or actively covered up. Saville, Sandusky, Hollywood, the list goes on. There must be tons of evil shit that we don't know about all over the world. A constant theme among these is that it only comes out years or decades after, sometimes when it's too late to do anything to certain offenders (Saville the ultimate example) or others who covered it up. It seems very convenient with the timing sometimes and also it seems like big shots who covered up for these monsters a lot of time face NO real consequence, like what's happening here.

Authority figures who actively and demonstrably protected men who they knew had molested children, like some of these senior Church officials, need to be executed. I don't care if it's been 50 years. The Church itself is fucked, we have seen all over the world that priests who molest children will be moved around and even can move up in the Church, like this Cardinal McCarrick. Imo the first thing they gotta do is get rid of the celibacy gimmick for priests. Only a weird fuck would commit to that so right off the bat you're increasing your chance of having sick pedos and molesters in your ranks. Other than that I don't know what to say, they need a massive purge and complete reorganization, actually a complete reformation if you will of their church but we all know there's waaaay too much dough involved for that to happen.
The celibacy thing is interesting. And I recently heard Demetrious Johnson criticize the media and it made sense. What you have is a bunch of people that aren’t where they belong. They are there to get what they want out of it. And in turn they are corrupting the entire thing.

There's a movement to lift the statute of limitations and expose some of these scumbags to criminal and civil trials, but the Church itself is lobbying against that. They have a lot of resources and influence and politicians have absolutely no integrity or moral compass, so the smart money is on the Church winning that battle. To me, if this doesn't push decent Catholics away from this demonic church nothing will. They're using YOUR tithes to LOBBY the government to PROTECT child molesters. And they have tax-exempt status...it's absolutely sickening. The Catholic Church is an evil organization.

Lobbying to protect child molesters...
That's some evil stuff there man...

Back