The Match Has Begun: Will an American Finally Reclaim the World Chess Championship?

damn this thread got me interested in exactly what Go is and it sounds pretty sweet. I might try to find an app and learn to play.

"In 2014, also at the Sinquefield Cup, he scored a single-tournament ELO performance rating of 3103, the highest in history."

Dang, this guy isn't going away anytime soon.

Do you know descriptive notation or just algebraic @Fawlty
Maybe we can have a game sometime, could be here or one of the chess sites.
I only use algebraic. I'm not much of a challenge but I really love the game, yeah I'd like to play sometime, I think people have tried to get little sherdog leagues or regular games together in the past w/mixed results. Maybe there's something still going here, dunno.

A chess game on sherdog, sounds interesting.
Can one trust a sd not to cheat?
Any online game of chess other than like blitz at a 2-0( 2min initial time,0second increases) its possible for someone to cheat.
But I just wanna play for fun, I aint trying to bet and honestly don't care if I lose. Losing is how you grow

I won't use analysis or consult opening references ,unless fawlty wants too.

That type of game is fun too(both players using analysis), openings are pretty mapped out and mostly memorization so the middle game is where chess gets interesting.

Lets say we agree to do kings gambit accepted or decline, or the ruy lopez, there is a chance in the middle game to evolve into a game that hasn't been played before.

This past year, caruana has played like ass against carlsen, losing most recently in stavanger if I recall, then barely surviving here today, and wiggling his way out of a bad position in grenke. Fortunately for him, he’s played really well against everyone else. He’s going to have to pick up his game vs carlsen though or else the match will end up looking like carlsen-anand 1.

I love chess, but there is so much cheating going on now a days.

Maybe the chess boxing championship but it's unlikely...

This past year, caruana has played like ass against carlsen, losing most recently in stavanger if I recall, then barely surviving here today, and wiggling his way out of a bad position in grenke. Fortunately for him, he’s played really well against everyone else. He’s going to have to pick up his game vs carlsen though or else the match will end up looking like carlsen-anand 1.
I agree, but Carlsen's premature mic drop stunt today tells me his confidence is suffering, that he needed to pump himself up and that this game meant a lot to him. If Caruana can close out this tournament and play reasonably well in the Olympiad, he will have every opportunity for his skill and his attitude to peak. Psychologically the path is good for Caruana and bad for Carlsen. I could be reading too much into it, because the game is the game, but Caruana can't play bad against Carlsen forever.

Its crazy Magnus did not win today. Fabiano was lucky to get a draw but the psychological blow of not being able to get the kill might effect him. Caruana has awesome defensive skills when things go wrong and we already saw at the last World Championship that Magnus is susceptible to players who can hold positions for long periods of time like Karjakin did. I don't know if Fabi can do it for an entire 12 game match but Karjakin had the lead before falling at the end. What's crazy is Fabiano would have become the number 1 player in the world on the live rating list had he won the match but had to fight for his life to draw.

Magnus has been off all year and has had weak showings coming into the World Championship in November. I blame the pussy. Magnus starts slaying bitches and getting that pussy and his play has suffered. Hope some she devil didn't suck the life out of him. I want Fabiano to win though so maybe that would be a solid strategy where we send some hot chick to seduce Magnus and get him off his game.

I think we are in for a rollercoaster of a World Championship. I just hope its better than the complete snoozefest that was the last world championship where it felt like there were endless 6 hour draws. All I know is Fabi has to win within the 12 classical games because if it goes to the rapid/bullet tie breaks he is going to get demolished.

Magnus has been off all year and has had weak showings coming into the World Championship in November. I blame the pussy. Magnus starts slaying bitches and getting that pussy and his play has suffered. Hope some she devil didn't suck the life out of him. I want Fabiano to win though so maybe that would be a solid strategy where we send some hot chick to seduce Magnus and get him off his game.
LMAO. I didn't realize he went all in on pussy.

I think we are in for a rollercoaster of a World Championship.
Oh yeah, I think it's gonna be the most interesting play in a long time.

Any online game of chess other than like blitz at a 2-0( 2min initial time,0second increases) its possible for someone to cheat.
But I just wanna play for fun, I aint trying to bet and honestly don't care if I lose. Losing is how you grow

I won't use analysis or consult opening references ,unless fawlty wants too.

That type of game is fun too(both players using analysis), openings are pretty mapped out and mostly memorization so the middle game is where chess gets interesting.

Lets say we agree to do kings gambit accepted or decline, or the ruy lopez, there is a chance in the middle game to evolve into a game that hasn't been played before.[/QU
I was thinking of sd in general not necessarily you and faulty as far as cheating goes. It would be interesting to set up a sd sub form for chess but I have the sneaking suspicion there would be to much cheating involved and a lot of whining and reporting.
Since you brought up the kings gambit I Would like to play a game and use a not so common kings gambit declined. 4d5

I love chess, but there is so much cheating going on now a days.
How do people cheat in chess? I'm not familiar, but I did watch Bobby Fischer's movie Pawn Sacrifice (Awesome movie btw) and he was upset that some players were intentionally losing to manipulate the rankings. Is that the cheating that you're referring to? Or is it something else?

The best thing I learnt in this thread is that chess has a confessional booth to go and talk mid game trash in.

I really want to learn to play Chess. I've always admired the skill of those who play it, but never had the chance to learn the game.

How do people cheat in chess? I'm not familiar, but I did watch Bobby Fischer's movie Pawn Sacrifice (Awesome movie btw) and he was upset that some players were intentionally losing to manipulate the rankings. Is that the cheating that you're referring to? Or is it something else?

He's probably thinking about online chess which is indeed full of cheaters, over the board chess at GM levels I don't see how they can cheat.

This guy tried cheating with morse code and a hidden camera in his necklace some years ago and he was busted right away because of the discrepancy between his rating and the level of playing he exhibited: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34184940

Back