Law The Search For The 114th Supreme Court Justice: The Witch-Hunt Against Judge Brett Kavanaugh

Who do you believe?

• Total voters
Untitled_JJJ.png

this is still not the vote to confirm him though .. they'll need to work into the weekend if they wanna get it done before oct 1st

Oh I agree they're replaceable. Its why I believe there should be term limits on SCOTUS. As far are embracing celebrity, I believe she has enjoyed it from the Left as much as Scalia did from the Right.

Not even close, not comparable. Scalia was a force for change in court where he was in the majority. RBG has held the line where she can on the 4 side. She hasn't revolutionized anything

Could be, but that has nothing to do with the discussion.
Maybe not directly but I do think it speaks toward a lack of political impartiality on the part of pretty much all of them to one degree or another.

EDIT: Also, @Jack V Savage what do you think of the rapid decline in the Wall Street Journal's politics coverage? Some of the opinion pieces put out by their editorial board have been shamelessly daft - to an extent much more egregious than any of the supposed liberal-side shilling by outlets like NYT and Wash Po.

FYI, when you add tags in edits, it doesn't alert the tagged poster. Ed: @Anung Un Rama (he won't see this) taught me that.

Yeah, it's bad. I canceled my subscription, not to send any kind of a message but just because I've become increasingly dissatisfied with their coverage. It's always, openly, been a right-leaning paper (even in the Bancroft years), but despite that, it's generally been excellent, though the opinion section has been terrible. But it's in serious decline, and that really started last year. A lot of the paper's staff would agree with that, BTW. I don't know as much about Murray as I do about Baker, though (I canceled while Baker was still EIC).

Maybe not directly but I do think it speaks toward a lack of political impartiality on the part of pretty much all of them to one degree or another.

I don't know about that. Remember the thread here. I noted that Kavanaugh's fawning and dishonest praise of Trump seemed to be a screaming alarm that he isn't fit. Then you brought up RBG appearing to like fame and being admired on the left. I didn't agree that it was similar and also noted that liberals I know dislike her.

Not even close, not comparable. Scalia was a force for change in court where he was in the majority. RBG has held the line where she can on the 4 side. She hasn't revolutionized anything
I wasn't speaking toward their impact but rather on their lack of political impartiality to varying degrees. He'll, RBG pretty much said she'd remain on the bench to keep Trump from filling her seat. That's picking an ideological side any way you slice it. These nominations are about putting a butt in the seat that leans either left or right, not about their impartiality which ultimately makes discussions of fair and impartial judgements almost laughable.

By any chance can you link to the passage of text which states that Kav "drank to the point of losing control or blacking out"?
Also, note that "losing control" and "blacking out" are not well-defined terms. What you or Mike Judge call "losing control" I might see as "having fun." And what you might call "blacking out" I might call "going to bed." I think there are plenty of reasons for you to dislike him other than a cross-examination of his high school drinking habits.

Do your own research homey. If you want to disprove me or prove to yourself take the time and effort to seek out the answers. Pretty sure you won’t believe the articles I whip out so you may as well buy the book and find out for yourself..

Do you find it incredibly fishy that these allegations come out right as he’s about to be voted on?
Particularly since Feinstein knew about them well prior to making them public. She's not interested in a through investigation; she's interested in delaying the vote.

I get it and don't blame her. It's politics. The last minute sexual misconduct allegation is a stock Dem play. They used it against Thomas as well.

I don't know about that. Remember the thread here. I noted that Kavanaugh's fawning and dishonest praise of Trump seemed to be a screaming alarm that he isn't fit. Then you brought up RBG appearing to like fame and being admired on the left. I didn't agree that it was similar and also noted that liberals I know dislike her.
He isn't fit because he complimented Trump. That's the basis of your judgement on his worthiness?

yearbook bragging about his drinking in his yearbook (keg city club treasurer, 100 kegs or bust), his best friend writing a memoir detailing Kavanaugh penchant for drinking, blacking out often and/or puking, his college freshman roommate who has stated that Kavanaugh return to the dorm room drunk often and was generally a belligerent drunk.

And yet he claimed to have never drank to the point of losing control or blacking out... sounds like a liar to me...

Show me the evidence for this. The phraseology you’re using is deliberately misleading. Present the document so we can see the context. Actually show me the proof. I don’t want to hear waffling. Show me the proof of what you’re saying.

His roommate that you reference for example is admittedly the accusers best friend. He also mentioned that he barely saw kavanaugh. That is not a credible source. It’s a bullshit artist sticking up for his girl.

The accuser on the other hand needed 6 days to sit with her lawyer to figure out her story to even remember if it was or wasn’t kavanaugh. Stinks of bullshit.

Particularly since Feinstein knew about them well prior to making them public. She's not interested in a through investigation; she's interested in delaying the vote.

I get it and don't blame her. It's politics. The last minute sexual misconduct allegation is a stock Dem play. They used it against Thomas as well.

I agree with all of this post except for the words, “and don’t blame her.”

That's what you got out of that? Hmm.
Given that I don't believe anyone is truly virtuous or honest 100% of the time that makes me look to why a particular instance may be egregious than another. The biggest factor in this case is Trump.

But that's fine if I misread your intent. I may not agree with you on many things you say but I also understand you're entitled to your opinions and for your own reasons. I don't care about changing your mind or opinion because I know I couldn't regardless of what I say just like I doubt you'll ever change mine. I'm just sharing my opinion. I stopped thinking of this forum as a place for growth a long long time ago.

Given that I don't believe anyone is truly virtuous or honest 100% of the time that makes me look to why a particular instance may be egregious than another. The biggest factor in this case is Trump.

But that's fine if I misread your intent. I may not agree with you on many things you say but I also understand you're entitled to your opinions and for your own reasons. I don't care about changing your mind or opinion because I know I couldn't regardless of what I say just like I doubt you'll ever change mine. I'm just sharing my opinion. I stopped thinking of this forum as a place for growth a long long time ago.

A good point would certainly change my mind. But the point of that quote is that it's not particularly egregious on it's own but it signals a willingness to lie to get ahead and a subservience to the president that is wildly inappropriate in a SC justice.

A good point would certainly change my mind. But the point of that quote is that it's not particularly egregious on it's own but it signals a willingness to lie to get ahead and a subservience to the president that is wildly inappropriate in a SC justice.
It was a compliment toward a President that backed his nomination. I'm not reading much beyond that in his statement. My opinion can always change depending on what he says or does in regard to Trump as time moves on.

Snark aside, I'd like to see that massage being relayed by all the #Metoo folks, instead of simply acknowledging that it happens, and telling a bunch of big wigs that they won't get away with abusing their power. #Metoo is basically a movement to support celebrities, and high profile cases. #Metoo doesn't give a shit about Debbie Nobody getting her tit grabbed by some McDonalds manager ten years ago.

#ReportSexualAssaultImmediately

Do you find it incredibly fishy that these allegations come out right as he’s about to be voted on?
This is how I think things played out.

- Ford sees Kavanaugh in the running and it floods her with a whole bunch of negative feelings due to her belief he attacked her
- Ford has no intention of subjecting herself and her family to what she knows will be a disruptive and life changing circus and decides despite her revulsion this man may move on that she will not come out publicly against him
- However Ford does feel comfortable putting this in writing to Feinstein under assurance it is not made public but for them to understand the man that they are dealing with

- Feinstein agrees and genuinely does not intend to out Ford or even raise her issue and instead hopes to derail the Kavanaugh nomination in other ways
- Feinstein almost certainly tells other higher up at the party but they too agree that this is not to be used

- all other Dem attempts to derail Kavanaugh seem set to fail and a decision is made by the Dems to release the anonymous Ford details in the hopes that it gets the Repub's to pause and maybe pressures Ford to come out

- Ford hangs tough and is not looking like she will come out despite the impending Confirmation
- someone in the Dem inner circle leaks Fords name to various members of the media expecting that will out her
- Ford now confronted with media at every turn, chooses to out herself and take control of the process.

So here we are with a woman (Ford) who was not willing to ruin her own life with this circus (who can blame her) forced out. And now she is OUT she is going to tell her story and invite an investigation because if she does not she will be smeared by Repub's as a false accuser and plant. She has been cornered that her only way out of this with her dignity is to tell her story and hopefully get a full investigation that she BELIEVES will vindicate her.

So now will you say 'see you agree this was partisan crap by the Dem's', to which I will say I have always said it has been partisan crap on both sides and that partisan crap should NOT dictate what should be done with this information.

Last edited:
So a vote is scheduled for Friday now...interesting.

Back