Movies Movie News and Notes

Halloween 2018 was awesome. Just got out of the theater.

Some unexpected things in it. Michael felt like how he did in the original. Maybe even more human than ever. Faithful to the original.

I actually just watched the first Pet Semetary right now, so the name caught my eye when I got on Sherdog. I didn't know they were remaking it. The new movie looks almost like a carbon copy, just newer. So yeah, I think it looks good.

2nd Trailer for M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable-Split Sequel GLASS

Not gonna lie, I'm silently geeking out over this. I've defended M Night over the years and even enjoy some of his "bad" films. Not sure what has gotten into him lately but I hope we can expect more great stuff from the guy. Anybody see him on Norm Macdonald's show? Seems like a super cool dude.

not hearing the new england accent for jud in the new pet semetary is somewhat of a letdown

This film better have a really good cover of the Ramones song "Pet Semetary."

Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese Team Up for KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON

Xf1BdGi.jpg

Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese are getting back together on the feature adaptation Killers of the Flower Moon for Imperative Entertainment.

Scorsese will direct and DiCaprio will star in the crime drama set in 1920s Oklahoma, where the Osage Nation discover oil under their land, only to find themselves being murdered, one by one. As the death toll rises, the newly created FBI takes up the case and unravels a chilling conspiracy and one of the most monstrous crimes in American history.

The adaptation was written by Eric Roth. Scorsese will produce alongside Imperative Entertainment’s Dan Friedkin, Bradley Thomas, Sikelia Productions’ Emma Tillinger Koskoff and DiCaprio's Appian Way Productions.

The feature is based on David Grann's book of the same name that Imperative Entertainment optioned in 2016. "When I read David Grann’s book, I immediately started seeing it — the people, the settings, the action — and I knew that I had to make it into a movie,” Scorsese said in a statement.

“I’m so excited to be working with Eric Roth and reuniting with Leo DiCaprio to bring this truly unsettling American story to the screen," he added.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...tin-scorsese-team-killers-flower-moon-1154741

Legendary to Develop Live-Action Movie Adaptation of Manga/Anime Series MY HERO ACADEMIA

z3Cb9YJ.jpg

Manga series My Hero Academia is getting the live-action treatment. Legendary is producing a feature film based on the property, which takes place in a world where 80 percent of people have developed powers, known as quirks. One boy, who has no quirks of his own, obsessively follows the heroes who have emerged, though not everyone uses their powers for good. Though he has no powers of his own, the boy risks his life to save his friend, earning him attention from the world's greatest hero.

Kohei Horikoshi launched My Hero Academia in 2014, and the series now has 17 million copies in circulation. It has also spawned an anime series, which is in its third season. An animated feature, My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, was released this year.

Alex Garcia and Jay Ashenfelter will oversee the My Hero Academia movie for Legendary, while Ryosuke Yoritomi will oversee for Shueisha, which publishesthe manga. Toho will distribute the My Hero Academia movie in Japan.

Legendary next has the Ryan Reynolds-starring Detective Pikachu in theaters May 10, 2019. Godzilla: King of the Monsters is also on the docket that month, with the sequel set for release May 31, 2019. And the crossover Godzilla vs. Kong is set for May 2020.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...demia-movie-live-action-project-works-1154874

13 Reasons Why Star Katherine Langford Joins the Cast of AVENGERS 4

JhWsw2V.jpg

The sprawling cast of the next Avengers movie is a little bigger than previously known. 13 Reasons Why star Katherine Langford has filmed scenes for the currently untitled Avengers 4, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Marvel Studios had no comment.

Langford earned a Golden Globe nomination for her breakout role as Hannah Baker in Netflix's 13 Reasons Why, in which she played a high school student who left behind a series of tapes after her suicide. She appeared on the show through season two, but will not return for next year's third season.

Up next, Langford has booked a role in Netflix's Cursed, from Sin City creator Frank Miller and Tom Wheeler. The series is a new take on the legend of King Arthur and centers on Nimue, described as a "teenage heroine with a mysterious gift who is destined to become the powerful (and tragic) Lady of the Lake."

Avengers 4, which opens May 3, 2019, is directed by Avengers: Infinity War filmmakers Anthony and Joe Russo. Infinity War grossed more than $2 billion for Disney and Marvel Studios, and wrapped additional photography earlier this month.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-4-adds-katherine-langford-cast-1155578

IT Filmmaker Andy Muschietti to Direct ATTACK ON TITANS Live-Action Movie for Warner Bros.

uv5cDBa.jpg

Director Andy Muschietti has found his follow-up to the It franchise. The filmmaker is developing an adaptation of the popular manga series Attack on Titan for Warner Bros., The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Hajime Isayama created the manga, which debuted in 2009 and takes place in a world that has been overrun by Titans — giant, mindless human-eating creatures. Humanity is forced to live in cities built behind giant walls that keep the Titans at bay. Attack on Titan at times can be quite gruesome and deals with themes such as militarization, the horrors of war and abuse of power. It has been adapted into an anime series that launched in 2013 as well as into a two-part, live-action film in 2015.

The new feature version comes from Harry Potter producer David Heyman, who is producing along with Masi Oka and Barbara Muschietti. No screenwriters are attached.

Andy Muschietti, who rose to prominence with the 2013 horror film Mama, broke out in a big way with last year's It, which earned more than $700 million globally and boasts the top opening for an R-rated horror movie of all time. He is currently working on It: Chapter Two, which Warners is set to open Sept. 6, 2019, and stars James McAvoy, Bill Hader, Jessica Chastain and Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...by-andy-muschietti-1156108?utm_source=twitter

OVERLORD Filmmaker Julius Avery to Direct FLASH GORDON with Matthew Vaughn to Produce

GWSHNwG.jpg

Flash Gordon is flying again. Julius Avery, the filmmaker behind Paramount and Bad Robot's upcoming World War II zombie project Overlord, is in talks to write and direct a Flash Gordon movie for Fox, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Artist Alex Raymond introduced Flash Gordon in 1934 as a hero who ends up on the planet Mongo fighting the tyrant ruler Ming the Merciless. The comic book strip also featured characters such as Dale Arden and mad scientist Hans Zasrkov, and went on to spawn serials starring Buster Crabbe and a 1980 movie featuring a Queen soundtrack. It also influenced George Lucas, who paid Flash Gordon homage with Star Wars.

Kingsman filmmaker Matthew Vaughn was attached to direct the project back in 2015, but last year noted Flash Gordon faced stiff competition in light of fellow space franchises such as Star Warsand Guardians of the Galaxy. "You've got Star Wars, you've got Guardians, so you've got to have your own space opera, but you have to find something that can survive among these two very, very great franchises," he said.

Vaughn is remaining on board as a producer, along with John Davis and Hearst, which has the rights to the property.

Avery's Overlord is set to open Nov. 9 after premiering last month at Fantastic Fest in Austin, Texas, where it earned strong reviews.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-gordon-movie-be-directed-by-julius-avery-1156437

So a secret Deadpool movie coming out Dec. 21 It apparently takes off from the end of Deadpool. It looks even more oddball then the other Deadpool movies. Some think it was requested by Disney to Fox an Fox OK it. It looks like it could tie into the MCU.

Ewan McGregor to Play Batman Villain Black Mask in BIRDS OF PREY Movie

btdb86D.jpg

Birds of Prey has found its Black Mask. Ewan McGregor is set to play the Batman villain in the Warner Bros. film, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Birds of Prey stars Margot Robbie, reprising her Suicide Squad role of Harley Quinn. Mary Elizabeth Winstead will portray Huntress and Jurnee Smollett-Bell is on board as Black Canary, with Rosie Perez playing Renee Montoya. Cathy Yan is directing the female-centered team-up movie.

Sue Kroll is producing via her Kroll & Co. Entertainment banner, along with Robbie and her LuckyChap Entertainment and Bryan Unkeless' Clubhouse Pictures. Birds of Prey is set to open Feb. 7, 2020.

A relatively recent addition to the Batman mythos, Black Mask — in reality, the disguise-obsessed crime lord Roman Sionis — first appeared in 1985’s Batman No. 386, and has become a recurring part of the criminal underworld in Gotham City ever since. He has played a significant role in a number of important storylines over the past three decades, with several appearances in the Batman and Catwoman comic book series, as well as a number of other titles.

McGregor, who recently won a Golden Globe for his performance in the third season of Fargo opposite Winstead, is set to play the lead in Warner Bros.' The Shining sequel Doctor Sleep.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...s-ewan-mcgregor-as-villain-black-mask-1157130

GLADIATOR Sequel in the Works from Ridley Scott and Paramount Pictures

9l64Wx0.jpg

Ridley Scott is returning to the world of Gladiator. The director and his Scott Free Productions are moving forward on a follow-up to his best picture Oscar winner, which will follow Lucius (the son of Lucilla and the nephew of Joaquin Phoenix's Commodus). In the 2000 movie, Russell Crowe's Maximus saved the boy from his uncle.

The project is in early stages of development, with Paramount currently in negotiations to land the project. DreamWorks was behind the original film, which earned five Oscars and pulled in $460 million at the global box office, with Universal having handled international distribution.

Peter Craig has been tapped to pen the movie. Craig is the writer behind Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1 & 2 and is currently working on Paramount 's Top Gun sequel, Maverick.

Scott, who would return to the director's chair for the Gladiator sequel, last helmed the Getty kidnapping movie All the Money in the World.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gladiator-sequel-works-ridley-scott-1157157

Lionsgate Releases Official Image of Sylvester Stallone in Cowboy Hat in RAMBO V: LAST BLOOD

Dq7rkc5VYAA8De6.jpg:large

Will Smith and Martin Lawrence Confirm Return for BAD BOYS FOR LIFE

So a secret Deadpool movie coming out Dec. 21 It apparently takes off from the end of Deadpool. It looks even more oddball then the other Deadpool movies. Some think it was requested by Disney to Fox an Fox OK it. It looks like it could tie into the MCU.
I'm pretty sure that's illegal. My understanding is that until the acquisition is 100% finalized they are legally obligated to continue acting as independent companies.

New Details on Deadpool 2 PG-13 Rerelease, Titled ONCE UPON A DEADPOOL

4jrmVKs.jpg

All Fox wants for Christmas are 12 more days of Deadpool — that’s certainly one valid interpretation of the studio’s plan to revamp, rename and re-release the year’s biggest R-rated hit, Deadpool 2, as a PG-13 film called Once Upon A Deadpool. There’s more to it than that, however. Deadline has all the details about the studio’s unconventional plan — a plan that may have intriguing relevance when viewed through the prism of the Disney-Fox merger and the future of the red-hot Deadpool franchise.

First some of those details: Once Upon a Deadpool will have a limited-engagement that begins Dec. 12 and concludes on Christmas Eve, positioning it as a box-office play aimed at young teens on holiday break from school. The lion’s share of Once Upon Deadpool is footage from Deadpool 2 that has been edited to meet PG-13 thresholds of violence and language. There’s also new footage in the form of a framing sequence that was conceived by Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds and writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick. Working with a small film crew, Reynolds and his cohorts filmed all the framing scenes in a single hectic day of guerrilla-style filmmaking.

There’s a major charity component to the limited-engagement release, too, as Reynolds explained to Deadline that for every ticket sold $1 will go to the audaciously named F-ck Cancer campaign, which will be temporarily renamed “Fudge Cancer” for the purpose of tie-in fundraising effort.

It’s funny to note that Deadpool is such a native of hard-R filmmaking that even its charity partner has an f-bomb name that requires editing to soften it for a PG audience. Reynolds famously championed the idea of a Deadpool movie for a decade and maintained his position that the scabby, subversive superhero from the pages of Marvel Comics could be a commercial winner — but only if it bravely bucked the Hollywood mindset that superhero franchises naturally belong in the PG-13 pack.

The actor was right and Fox’s faith in the formula was rewarded with a history-making franchise. The February 2016 opening weekend of Deadpool ($132.4 million in domestic box office) stands as the biggest bow by an R-rated film in Hollywood history. Second on that all-time list? The May 2018 opening of Deadpool 2 (S125 million). The sequel finished its 22-week theatrical release in October with a global haul of $734 million.

Even with that success, Hollywood has been reluctant to release R-rated superhero films. Sony’s Venom, for instance, was scrubbed to a PG-13 level after considerable internal debate about the best balance between content and audience reach. When Venom set a new record for an October opening weekend it likely added considerable steam to Fox’s interest in taking Deadpool to a younger audience. The masked mutant mercenary character was one of the top-selling Halloween costumes this year and is popular among grade-school fans that know him toys, video games, comics, Slurpee cups, etc.

“Fox has been asking for a PG-13 basically since the start in 2006,” Reynolds told Deadline on Monday. “I’ve said no since 2006. Now, this one time, I said ‘Yes’ on two conditions. First, a portion of the proceeds had to go to charity. Second, I wanted to kidnap Fred Savage. The second condition took some explaining…”

Savage, of Wonder Years fame, co-stars with Reynolds in the framing sequence for Once Upon A Deadpool, which hijacks its bedtime-story set-up from The Princess Bride, the 1987 classic that also famously featured Savage as a child actor. In eight scenes were filmed that will be used as interstitial additions to the existing sequel’s footage. The running time of Once Upon A Deadpool is abut three minutes shorter than Deadpool 2 but Fox declined to be more specific about the new footage duration.

Reached last week by Deadline, Savage was still playing along with the spoof concept and the irreverent meta-spirit of the franchise: “While my participation in this film was anything but voluntary. I am happy to learn that Fudge Cancer will be the beneficiary of this shameless cash grab.”

EcmjYd3.jpg

For hit-hungry Fox, Deadpool 2 was the studio’s biggest bright spot this year. The sequel ranks as the fifth highest grossing film of 2018 but no other Fox release cracked the Top 30. The reconstituted PG-13 version of the hit offers the studio a chance of a “Christmas bonus” and could also be repurposed as the franchise’s first viable play in China. The response to the PG-13 repackaging is also being watched closely by the leadership at Disney and its Marvel Studios and may inform the way they incorporate Deadpool into their plans.

With wall-to-wall violence and relentless profanities, the Deadpool films present a tricky fit for Disney, which is banking on the cache of Marvel’s brand not just for feature films but as a core piece of its ambitious subscription streaming service. That service launches next year as a family-safe gateway to Disney’s content. Will Disney keep Deadpool at arm’s length (as a discrete Fox brand, for instance), tame him down for duty in PG13 fare or find some hybrid of those approaches? Time will tell.

The hollow-point humor of Deadpool is the cinematic superhero equivalent of an Eminem album (adult in its content, gleefully sophomoric in its tone) or Beavis and Butthead (retooled, perhaps, as Beaten and Headbutt). “e’ve driven a wedge between parents and their tweens and we hear about it all the time,” Reese said. “This [PG-13 revamp] is a way to try to appease those parents.”

Reese and Wernick hatched the idea of using the Princess Bride motif and Reynolds made the call to Fox to pitch the idea to executives who eagerly embraced the notion as a way to test the flagship franchise in PG-13 waters. Still, the writers know the challenge facing the project is one of their own making. “Deadpool has been a unique property and, by definition, what’s in a Deadpool movie is all the stuff that can’t be in any other superhero movie.”

That’s about to change, one way or another, on Dec. 12. There’s not much in the way of historical precedents that lend themselves to comparison but the closest may be Saturday Night Fever. The December 1977 hit drama earned its R-rating with drug use and prominent sexual assault and abortion themes but appealed to younger moviegoers with its hit soundtrack and cultural cache. A PG version was released in 1979 and added $8.9 million on top of the film’s original haul of $85.2 million.

On Monday, the always-witty Reynolds embraced the Saturday Night Fever history as a good omen for Deadpool. “Eighty percent of Deadpool 3 takes place at a 1970’s disco so it only makes sense we’d find a connection to Saturday Night Fever.,” the actor joked. “Plus, Deadpool loves Stayin’ Alive. It’s literally his only superpower.”

https://deadline.com/2018/11/deadpool-ryan-reynolds-disney-pg13-marvel-1202495981/

Woody and Buzz Lightyear Return in the Teaser Trailer for TOY STORY 4

Woody has always been confident about his place in the world and that his priority is taking care of his kid, whether that’s Andy or Bonnie. But when Bonnie adds a reluctant new toy called “Forky” to her room, a road trip adventure alongside old and new friends will show Woody how big the world can be for a toy. Disney•Pixar’s “Toy Story 4” ventures to U.S. theaters on June 21, 2019.

So I had no desire to see a Pokemon movie, but the new trailer looks dope. Would be surprised if this wasn't the start to a huge franchise.

Back