Luke Thomas: Tenshin is much better striker than Conor

What is a striking only match, Glory rules?

Most guys at 155-165 would destroy him.

Boxers? Lol, no way. Ray Mercer quit a kickboxing match simply because getting high kicked was just too much for him to deal with. Like straight up just called it a day after only one high kick.

Boxers whole foot work, defense and distancing aren't made to deal with anything else than punches. And even then they can't deal with anything below their belly button with punches either. They don't have to worry about knees or low kicks when they clinch. They can just lean on each other with no real fear.

Glory is also limited in their rules, but already a lot less. Make it Thai rules for maximum striking techniques, but take out throws and sweeps.

Last edited:
Of course he is. He's not saying he's a better MMA fighter, but striking wise, he's way ahead.

Suddenly every amateur mma fighter and boxer in the world is a better striker than Conor
Are you implying that Conor's striking is better than Tenshin's???!!!
Obviously fightsports ain't your thang....

I would make Conor the favourite in boxing.

Under kickboxing Tenshin would win on points easily.

Conor’s kicks are very bad.

Conor has good kicks, he has a good arsenal for creating space and in the Nate II fight he shown he can be offensive with them. They're not super dangerous, but his kicks are far from very bad just not at a high kickboxing level. His defense on the other hand, he fights with a wide and heavy stance which could hinder him.

Boxers? Lol, no way. Ray Mercer quit a kickboxing match simply because getting high kicked was just too much for him to deal with. Like straight up just called it a day after only one high kick.

Boxers whole foot work, defense and distancing aren't made to deal with anything else than punches. And even then they can't deal with anything below their belly button with punches either. They don't have to worry about knees or low kicks when they clinch. They can just lean on each other with no real fear.

Glory is also limited in their rules, but already a lot less. Make it Thai rules for maximum striking techniques, but take out throws and sweeps.

I don't think using an old, fat Ray Mercer who didn't even try to learn to kickbox is a great example.

Because its much harder to become a pro in boxing than in MMA.

Most good amateur boxers would tear McGregor apart in the boxing ring.

Ok, so on that logic why don't they bring their far superior striking to MMA and become multimillionaire megastars like the inferior Conor instead of struggling in boxing? If the logic is that their striking is far superior to Conor, who allegedly has awful grappling too, then with minimal grappling they will be champions, why spend a life getting beat up for scraps in low tier boxing. Anyway, believe what you prefer but all the "everyone is better then Conor at striking/grappling" silliness is becoming ridiculous and also undermines his skills and the talent of the great fighters he beat with his poor striking ...

I don't think using an old, fat Ray Mercer who didn't even try to learn to kickbox is a great example.

He wasn't that old and fat at the time. The point is that it illustrates how alien it is to them.

Why woulf they need to learn kickboxing? Aren't boxers already the most elite strikers? They can use all their boxing skills to their heart's delight.

Suddenly every amateur mma fighter and boxer in the world is a better striker than Conor

High level boxers and kickboxers are generally better strikers than McGregor. That was always the case, unless people actually believed the nonsense that he spouted about him being a once in a lifetime fighter lol

He wasn't that old and fat at the time. The point is that it illustrates how alien it is to them.

Why woulf they need to learn kickboxing?

Aren't boxers already the most elite strikers? They can use all their boxing skills to their heart's delight.

It's simply one form of striking, but boxing historically has produced the best athletes due to it's popularity, cultural diversity and extensive history. I think an elite boxer could cross over if they took it seriously but it would never happen. It makes no sense financially.

If you mean head to head if they fought, Conor would KO him. Way too big and strong for him. If you mean technically, Luke may have a point as Conor doesn't have great leg kicks (outside of the kick to the body) but Conor is light years ahead with the hands.

He isn't some great boxer. Stick him in with any current top 10 LMW and he gets embarrassed and smashed. the small gloves and the fact that he isn't fighting elite level strikers is one of the reasons why Conor has had his success in MMA. For MMA he is a very good striker, but put himin 8 oz gloves, a ring and any top level boxer his weight, he gets knocked out quick

I have no idea why anyone listens to Luke Thomas about anything. Even when he's right, he rarely makes a persuasive, informed argument. I can't believe he gets paid for his opinions on the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's simply one form of striking, but boxing historically has produced the best athletes due to it's popularity, cultural diversity and extensive history. I think an elite boxer could cross over if they took it seriously but it would never happen. It makes no sense financially.

We're not talking historical. We are talking current day. Boxing is much less popular than it once was and quick google search told me that world wide in 2011 there were about 17K pro boxers world wide. There are 60K pro Thai boxers in Thailand alone. So not that deep a talent pool if you think about it.

If a boxer would cross over he'd have to forget so much of what he knows and have to learn so much stuff all over, he'd be disadvantaged in both having to overcome bad boxing habits and being so far behind on the learning curve compared to fighters who have been doing it since they were kids or teens.

Poor Conor fans, they can’t catch a break recently

We're getting it from all angles here lol. Conor is getting thrashed left and right by the media, and within the community forums. When the man retires, he'll get the peace and respect he never got when he was active.

The kid would murder conor, way faster, can take a punch, more dynamic strikes and a lot more power
He’d definitely be the ufc flw,bw,fw and lw champion in the ufc. Maybe ww too.

Crazy finishes, but almost none of these fighters even have a wikipedia page.
Are we really on this shit again? Gonor has been finished by guys without a Wikipedia page.

We're getting it from all angles here lol. Conor is getting thrashed left and right by the media, and within the community forums. When the man retires, he'll get the peace and respect he never got when he was active.
I think Conor the man is probably a good dude, I think the character Conor is playing is a rotten scoundrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back