Marcelo Garcia Back Onto the Mats: UPDATE, LINK INCLUDED NOW

GSPSAKU

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Well, Marcelo Garcia is going to end his retirement and plans to get back on the mat. I know there isn't a "technique" I'm talking here but I've considered Marcelo to be one of the GOATs of BJJ and am excited. I wonder if the 6 years off will hinder him too much? This is the first time he's ever talked about it and he's saying it won't just be KASAI (which is near his home and school) but also ADCC as well

UPDATE

Last edited:
Huge if true.

I hope he makes a comeback like Roger vs Buchecha. Love seeing legends come back and kick ass.

awe man the greats always mess their legacies up when they unretire.

Marcelo is my all time favorite grappler. Stay retired please.

OMG. Where did you hear this?
From Marcelo via Kenflo via email lol. KenFlo is on the KASAI org with Rolles. Marcelo has been talking privately apparently and supposedly there's an interview coming out today where he talks about it publicly for the first time so KenFlo Ok'd it for me to post. No idea if or when the interview comes out

Update: Here's the link via KASAI that was published today. Credit to KenFlo

awe man the greats always mess their legacies up when they unretire.

Marcelo is my all time favorite grappler. Stay retired please.
My all time favorite and who I think is the GOAT. Time away, as they say, is a competitor's worse but seeing him roll with guys who are actively competiting gives him a good understanding of where he stands and he's only 35 but that's right at the edge

Best news in the year...

He’s only 35 years old, he might not be in his physical prime anymore, but most ufc champs are around that age, he can do it easily...

Fuck I hope someone puts down 100 k and make Marcelo vs Rafa... the world cannot end without these guys facing each other

I don't know, the Flograppling video wasn't terribly specific. He wants to compete again but doesn't know when or where. The Kasai mention is hype.

When has Marcelo done anything for hype? I suspected this might be coming. Marcelo has lost quite a bit of weight and has started doing seminars, something he never did in the past.

Oh--no, I didn't think Marcelo was hyping it, I think the guy doing the video was hyping it. Marcelo just mentioned Kasai along with several other options and didn't seem to imply that it was definitely the one he would choose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited to see when he comes back, but he didn't say when it would be. A year? Two? Who knows!

My gues iz that marcelo will only do superfights

My all time favorite and who I think is the GOAT. Time away, as they say, is a competitor's worse but seeing him roll with guys who are actively competiting gives him a good understanding of where he stands and he's only 35 but that's right at the edge
35 historically is retirement age in sports with modern medicine it has been pushed to 40ish. But when has Marcelo ever embraaces a modern s&c program?

I legit love Marcelo but I'd rather see him dedicate himself to the new generation. Or fight mma again and go for a title.

I love MG too much to see him potentially lose to an inferior talent simply because of age related factors.

Of course he’s a killer... GOAT... routinely taps out modern, younger competitors but still... He can definitely lose at 35yrs to someone young and talented. Father Time doesnt care and I’d hate for someone to claim an MG scalp when he’s been gone for so long.

It’s a little like watching Sakuraba fight after his loss to Ralek or ODLH to Pacquiao. They simply aren’t the same anymore .

The only exception was Roger vs Buchecha 2 but Roger was an active MMA fighter which kept him razor sharp in terms of reaction time and conditioning.

Last edited:
No longer in his biological prime but neat if true

Marcelo vs Dildo Danis -- the Master comes back to choke the douche bag former student the fuck out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back