It is now clear that Demetrious Johnson did indeed duck TJ Dillashaw

He didn't stick around to fight anyone in a higher weight class, let alone TJ. He ran away. He could have said, "I want to test myself at a higher weight class before I fight TJ." Everyone would have accepted that. But no, can't do that. Let's see if nobody else from 125 moves up after the div closes. If only one does, Mouse's street cred is destroyed. You destroy everyone in your weight class and refuse one fight at a higher div? What kind of b. f'g s is that. No BJ Penn Heart of a Fighter award for you, bud.

And are you aware that TJ wouldn't have defended his?

<TheWire1>
Against whom? The only contender fit to fight at that time was Rivera. A fight against DJ wouldn't have hurt the division. It is not the same as GSP ruining the MW division, where there were more than 5 legit and active contenders (Moose, Luke, Jacare, Yoel, Whittaker, Weidman etc)

DJ will make more money next year than Tyler Jeffery and Henry Cejudo combined.

He’ll be crushed if he ever sees what Sherdog thinks of him.

<{Heymansnicker}>

Just playing the devil’s advocate here. The difference was that DJ was protecting his legacy as a long time dominant champ while Cejudo is looking for the money fight because the risk/reward ratio is better for him.

MM came up with a hundred excuses as to why he wouldn't face TJ in his own weight class(125 lbs). On the other hand, as soon as Cejudo got the belt, Dillashaw vs Cejudo was all but signed. The sensible conclusion here is that DJ purposefully avoided the BW champion.

Cejudo has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Worst case scenario, he loses a belt he never defended and only won by a dubious split decision. Best case scenario, he beats the champion in the weight class above him, proving his title isn't a fluke. Either way, he doesn't have to fight MM again, who beat him soundly in their first fight and arguably in their second.

And don't forget, MM rejected the fight because he had no guarantee TJ would make weight. Even DC took several fights at LHW before challenging for the title; why should TJ get to skip in line before he's even proven he can make the weight?

He’d rather shut down the division and run away to another country than fight tj. Biggest duck bitch move in ufc history. We’ve all known this was the case for a long time but it’s hysterical to see play out.

Fighters don't make what they aught to be making. So I really don't blame fighters for holding out for bigger money fights or fights that will extend their longevity, in turn earning themselves more money.

I typically don't think fighters duck. I think they are doing what they think would best help their career. So i'll rephrase. Yeah I think fighters duck, but not out of fear.

I try to look at it from the fighters perspective. What I keep coming back to is this. UFC holds all the cards when it comes to setting up fights, how much they earn, sponsorship, except one thing, agreeing to the fight itself. So if a fighter isn't getting what they think they should be getting, they use the little bit of leverage they have and that is saying no to fights that would make the UFC much more money potentially than the fighters themselves.

i can see why dj wouldnt wanna give a title shot to a guy with 0 fights in his 125 division

TJ moving down to face him wouldn't have been a title defense notch on his belt?
DJ ducked TJ, there's no if's and's or but's about it. No idea why he did, but it cost him his respect in the ufc. Enjoy mopping the floors after your events at rizen or one fs wherever tf you went...

Mopping the floors? He's expected to make more off his ONE contract than he did with UFC if I'm not mistaken

The ONLY thing I think DJ did wrong in his time at the UFC was refuse that fight. I get why he did at 1st. I get that he wants to take the high road and fight people that have earned the right to fight him through winning fights in the division.

TJ called him out before and after he got the belt at 135. Would've been a great fight. Wouldb've been very easy to promote and would've made him some good money... these are things he mentioned about the UFC 125 belt that bothered him.

It seemed like he just didn't want to fight TJ in the end. As if he'd made a principled point to not fight him without TJ having had fights at his weight and working his way up....That could've been the case. But really. TJ Dillashaw beat the breaks off a guy that was seen pretty much as the best under 155lber not called Jose Aldo at one point...His name on your resume would NOT look shabby... and for a warrior like DJ, I find it hard to see why he would not want that fight. But it looks much more like he just didn't want anything to do with TJ.... I'm not saying it is.... Just looks a lot like that.

And as soon as he picked a fight with Dana over not being promoted properly... Turning down the most promotable fight available to you is something else

DJ was the winningest champ in the UFC and he wanted the fight on his terms.

Cejudo was fucking gifted that title and is now walking around like he's hot shit in a champagne glass.
TJ is gonna annihilate Cejudo and then Cejudo will go on being a nobody in the BW div.

I still feel like Bantamweight will be the next division on the chopping block, the excitement around TJ vs. Cody is gone. The UFC blew their load on those fights because they had no other options and those fights really raised the profile of the division. Now that Cody is at the back of the line and Cruz is back in the hospital the UFC is throwing shit at the wall which is how we end up with this abortion of a superfight.

After this fight, they really need to drum up some interest in different challengers, they have been regurgitating Cruz, Dilly and Cody for the last 2+ years that the rest of the division feels non-existent.

TJ moving down to face him wouldn't have been a title defense notch on his belt?
DJ ducked TJ, there's no if's and's or but's about it. No idea why he did, but it cost him his respect in the ufc. Enjoy mopping the floors after your events at rizen or one fs wherever tf you went...

Lol he's getting paid more than he ever did in the UFC. Meanwhile half the other flyweights are getting cut and their division shut down. He clearly made the right move financially.

Was not this very clear already? only delusional MM fans disagree

Lol he's getting paid more than he ever did in the UFC. Meanwhile half the other flyweights are getting cut and their division shut down. He clearly made the right move financially.

Any proof besides the ten figure bullshit comment thats been passed around like Tito's ex wife?

What's clear is that DJ was fighting out his contract to go to One, his loss just speed up the plan, I guess that's why he was so indifferent about his loss.

It's possible he wanted to set a record in defending the belt first?

he still would have defended his belt had he won TJ was moving down.

but i guess he didn't want a killer he wanted a tomato can.

Back