CAPTAIN MARVEL v.2 (First Critics Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carol looks annoying but I liked the trailer, didnt reveal too much and visuals seem good.

I'm looking forward to the 90s nostalgia
I'm still stuck on how the MCU can give Jackson a full head of hair for an entire movie and make it look real and good and the DCU cannot even get rid of a moustache.

superman_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqtCvHRLdkw_F7uLicb5KqEr2iCVp8u1X8dR0oEWclTQY.jpg

MCU KO's DCU via follicular homicide!

Which is funny because in the comics, Thor, Doctor Strange and even The Hulk are more powerful than her.
Well lets remember the MCU characters are still growing into their powers and are not the equal of the ultimate forms they have in the CBU.

Thor powered up twice in recent movies finding new strength levels, most recently as Hela was about to end him and as he absorbed the power of the star and was reborn. Hela was still stronger at the first one, so it would be interesting if she still is now.

I suspect and predicted long ago that Captain Marvel wil start with a certain power set generally identified as her normal powers, and that Thanos will be curb stomping her and suddenly she will tap into her CBU alter ego powers of the Binary character. it will be a 'holy shit' moment not just for the other hero's but also for HER(O). The MCU has shown a willingness to blend such things rather than trying to tell these and build these as separate story lines as they seems to be doing with the Planet Hulk/Professor Hulk stuff as well.

In her Binary form she is arguably a hitter up there with the best of them.

Pardon my ignorance, but why does he wait until literally the last second to call her if she's so powerful?
I don't think Fury knows the extent of her powers. I don't think she does. I think he just knows she is another god tier type powerful being as he sees Thor and a few others.

I think it is fair to assume he thought Thor and the assembled Avengers would handle Thanos, even as he recognized the threat Thanos posed, but then as he saw people disappearing he suddenly realized, oh shit Thanos won, that means my hero's must be dead. And therefore he called the only other top tier hero he knew was not in that fight hoping she would come. Its a desperation play at that point.

Everytime I see Samuel L Jackson as black Nick Fury I can't help but think that Brad Pitt would have been perfect as white Nick Fury.

I think Samuel L Jackson is great in the role, but so help me I really want Brad Pitt in the MCU.

And not a 1-movie role as a villain or something, but as one of the major recurring characters.

Maybe not like Hemsworth, Downey Jr etc, who play the main heroes with their own film series. But as a cross-movie character (again, Nick Fury would be perfect).

Failing that I'm thinking maybe:
  • The Punisher?
  • Black Bolt?
  • Black Knight?
  • Namor? (I mean, what the hell, they reimagined Aquaman as Aquabiker).
  • Or some minor hero from the Gotg universe? (characters from that comic all seem to work great on-screen)
  • I dunno, Adam Warlock?
If a villain:
  • Deathstroke?
  • Taskmaster? (I could see this work in a Deadpool movie, outside the MCU)
  • Mister Sinister?
  • Paladin?

I'd want him to play some funny and/or gritty guy, not one of those wah-wah I wield the cosmic force types.
Will Pitt in the MCU would be great I don't see him as Fury. Jackson has been perfect but if not him then Tommy Lee Jones or Redford could have carried that role as well. A little younger Sam Elliott also would have been great imo.

Pardon my ignorance, but why does he wait until literally the last second to call her if she's so powerful?

My guess is will find that out in the movie. Maybe the dual personality thing causes her to be uncontrollable and she leaves in order to find a way to control it? Leaving a pager for Fury to contact her in case things get real serious. Maybe she had other things to deal with in the universe but would come back if she was really needed? These are just guesses.

Maybe carol danvers had a wmma title fight and didnt want to call her til after it

Agreed. Nothing about the trailer impresses me. I might see it in the cinema, but only because I've watched nearly every MCU movie. It's certainly not on my Must Watch List.
Knowing that Larson was gonna channel Keanu Reeves in the Matrix for this role, they should have just casted Ronda Rousey. Rousey is probably more popular and it would just be hilarious to see.

Imagine Binary Rousey hip throwing Thanos, locking in the armbar and slipping off the gauntlet while Thanos is tapping faster than McGregor.

You could even have Sam Jackson hype her up, leading to the fight:

"Thanos is no problem! Carol has been dropping Celestials with body shots in sparring!! She can beat Galactus under the right circumstances!"

Brie's acting looked wooden, but I think Marvel's reputation and Brie's acting ability is enough to get me to watch the film on faith alone. I'm guessing since Marvel's so good at character development, this will be a major plot point as she becomes more "human." No need to give everything away in the trailers.

Knowing that Larson was gonna channel Keanu Reeves in the Matrix for this role, they should have just casted Ronda Rousey. Rousey is probably more popular and it would just be hilarious to see.

Imagine Binary Rousey hip throwing Thanos, locking in the armbar and slipping off the gauntlet while Thanos is tapping faster than McGregor.

You could even have Sam Jackson hype her up, leading to the fight:

"Thanos is no problem! Carol has been dropping Celestials with body shots in sparring!! She can beat Galactus under the right circumstances!"
lol. I like everything you say here but acted by Brie and not Ronda as a light mocking of Ronda.

I certainly do not want to see this on the big screen ever again.

th

What's the last Marvel character or movie to straight up bomb or fail?
You guys keep saying this stuff as if Marvel is DC. They've had non-stop hits since what...Iron Man 3? Or Avengers 2?
Civil War...Guardians of the Galaxy..Thor : Ragnarok, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Spiderman Homecoming, Infinity War...they have had a pretty good streak of successful movies the past few years. lol why even come into a superhero movie thread if you don't like superhero movies, and gonna bitch about a movie that you've already judged before watching it?

Captain Marvel has always been powerful in the comics. We don't even know how powerful she will be in the movies yet. But with the exception of Thor and Hulk, it's not like we've really explored that many of Marvel's heavy hitters. She SHOULD be one of, if not THE most powerful beings in the MCU so far. (as far as the good guys go)

Marvel has a stellar record thus far. I don't know why everyone is doubting now--especially after what they gave us with Infinity War.

I was actually joking, but did a poor job of relaying the satire in my post. But given your tragic triggered reaction, I’m glad to have wasted your time. Also, I believe my post was merged from another thread that posed the question.

Still don’t think it looks great. Money grabbing venture as far as I’m concerned. They aren’t worried about making it compelling or deep. I’m pretty sure I could give a synopsis of any Marvel movie even without reading the comics. Predictable, wash, rinse, repeat, deposit in the bank. I still say the best Marvel movies of the past 10 years is Logan. I want deep, dark, adult themes (because fans of these characters are adults now) with real characters, real problems, and real reactions. Marvel and Star Wars must have the same writers on staff.

Last edited:
I was actually joking, but did a poor job of relaying the satire in my post. But given your tragic triggered reaction, I’m glad to have wasted your time. Also, I believe my post was merged from another thread that posed the question.

Still don’t think it looks great. Money grabbing venture as far as I’m concerned. They aren’t worried about making it compelling or deep. I’m pretty sure I could give a synopsis of any Marvel movie even without reading the comics. Predictable, wash, rinse, repeat, deposit in the bank. I still say the best Marvel movies of the past 10 years is Logan. I want deep, dark, adult themes (because fans of these characters are adults now) with real characters, real problems, and real reactions. Marvel and Star Wars must have the same writers on staff.
<36>
Predictable.
You had 2 choices...you could have gracefully taken the L like a man, and just said 'yea, you're right. I have no business posting in a thread when I don't care about the topic/whoops my joke didn't go over well (though I don't see where the joke could have possibly been)", or, you can do what you just did, and double down on being stupid.
lol "I triggered you" is the response of 12 year old morons. Great, man. You "triggered me and wasted my time". You won the internet, bro.
You realize that you're on a messageboard where the entire point is to converse with other people? lol You "triggered me" into replying to a post that you wrote in a thread that I am participating in....?
OK, sport.
If you're too deep for the Marvel movies then sashay your little hipster ass up outta here. Nobody cares about your rating of a movie that isn't even out for another couple of months, goofball
<36>

<36>
Predictable.
You had 2 choices...you could have gracefully taken the L like a man, and just said 'yea, you're right. I have no business posting in a thread when I don't care about the topic/whoops my joke didn't go over well (though I don't see where the joke could have possibly been)", or, you can do what you just did, and double down on being stupid.
lol "I triggered you" is the response of 12 year old morons. Great, man. You "triggered me and wasted my time". You won the internet, bro.
You realize that you're on a messageboard where the entire point is to converse with other people? lol You "triggered me" into replying to a post that you wrote in a thread that I am participating in....?
OK, sport.
If you're too deep for the Marvel movies then sashay your little hipster ass up outta here. Nobody cares about your rating of a movie that isn't even out for another couple of months, goofball
<36>

Just fucking with you. Relax spazoid.

Again, my original post was merged from a different thread. I’m just as disgusted as you that I am being forced to interact with all you mouth breathers in this thread.

Just fucking with you. Relax spazoid.
<JagsKiddingMe>
Work on that comedy routine, bud. Because your 'jokes' are incomprehensible.
"lol you're triggered and im glad i wasted your time" doesn't come off as jokey...but I'm apparently the spaz here:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone in here has said that the trailer looked great. Nor has anyone called Marvel movies high art or Oscar winners. Marvel hasn't made a bad movie in forever, so it's dumb to go "not seein this shit" as if they have a bad track recrod
and just lol at comparing the latest garbage ass Star War movies with what Marvel has been doing. They couldn't be further apart. They are just both owned by Disney, but have entirely different teams running them , and it shows. If you can't see that then you're not paying attention.
I'm not triggered, dude. But not sure what response you expected if you were just gonna come in a thread and announce that everything sucks

<JagsKiddingMe>
Work on that comedy routine, bud. Because your 'jokes' are incomprehensible.
"lol you're triggered and im glad i wasted your time" doesn't come off as jokey...but I'm apparently the spaz here:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone in here has said that the trailer looked great. Nor has anyone called Marvel movies high art or Oscar winners. Marvel hasn't made a bad movie in forever, so it's dumb to go "not seein this shit" as if they have a bad track recrod
and just lol at comparing the latest garbage ass Star War movies with what Marvel has been doing. They couldn't be further apart. They are just both owned by Disney, but have entirely different teams running them , and it shows. If you can't see that then you're not paying attention.
I'm not triggered, dude. But not sure what response you expected if you were just gonna come in a thread and announce that everything sucks

I didn’t come into the thread. For the third time, my post was merged from a separate thread that posed a question separate to your Marvel felating thread. Have you been listening to a lot of Alanis Morissette or something? You gonna be okay?

These are bad guys. Bad guys bad. You good. Good hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back