Media Gus vs bones 1. Am i missing something?

Haven't rewatched it yet. Jones has faced better fighters than Gus but as they say 'styles make fights' and the tall scandinavian seems to be a problem for Jones. Tough to tell as who has made more progress since then. I feel as if Gus improved his grappling significantly but I don't think he has something to outgrapple Jones. I expect it this time to be more of a boxing match. Jones has admitted it in interviews his boxing has been a 'weak link' in his game. I think DC was outboxing him for solid 2 and a half rounds in their last fight. Now Gus isn't the technical boxer DC is but he makes up for it with his physique. Tough to catch him with kicks/knees and Jones isn't exactly a massive puncher either. I see Jones edging it at the end but I don't see him stopping Gus the way Rumble did. Don't expect Gus to finish someone either. My guess is we see five more good rounds of fighting. Will decide for my prediction after the weigh ins. Body language and shape are important factors, especially to see where Jones is.

Last edited:
yeah Jones won. People just weren't used to seeing him in any kind of trouble at all so in their minds he took a one-sided beating. It was a good, close fight but he did more.

Jones won, no question, but you could argue that without the crazy spinning elbow at the end of the fourth he could have lost a decision.

Props to Jones to pull a rabbit out of his hat like that, but a rematch is interesting because Gus 1-2 and left hook is going to be there, meanwhile I am not so sure Jones could land a spinning elbow again.

2, 4, 5 Jones

Because Jones looked so dominant up to this fight and suddenly he was in a close one people always lean towards the challenger, happens all the time

I think Gus is a fraud! (?)

Jon easy wins this fight in 2d round.

2nd time watching this fight. This time on mute without rogan in my ear.

Yes one of Jon Jones hardest fight. But still clear that he won it.

Nothing really happens before midway into round 4. Jon Jones find his timing on his elbows. And gets gus in some real trouble..

Round 5 was again close. But again Jon Jones finding a home for his elbows. He could also keep spamming his left head kick at gus. Who had no answer for it. Other then just eating it with a lazy block.

At the end of the last round jon jones lands a nice flying knee.

Gus also gassed midway into the last round..

So Yeah. Close fight. But clear victory to Jones.

And i am a Scandinavian .

Haven’t seen it since the day it happened, but I had Gus up 4 rounds to 1. Jones did nothing in the first 3 rounds of note, as far as I can recall.

And who cares if you are Scandinavian?

People can't watch objectively without their feelings being involved.
I hope they don't gamble.

I agree with you.

Between the commentary and the crowd reacting to every little thing Gus did, it made one feel like it was the closest fight of the century, when in all actuality it was simply Jones toughest fight to date.

It was a closer fight than many expected, but people are rewriting history when acting like the decision could have gone either way. Between judges and play by plays, it was 16 in favor of Jones and one in favor of Gus.

33e0977.jpg

And there were more..

that fight was the only time in recent memory where jones lost more than a round.

it was a close fight, jones pulled it out with a strong 4th and 5th round.

just like ragin al.

No doubt Jones won the fight. I think people were jus suprised that Jones didn't look invincible for once. Getting taken down and the look on his face at one point almost looked like defeat. The only other time I can remember Jones being in trouble for a few seconds was when Vitor threw up that slick armbar that he couldn't finish.

Not a Jones fan boy but I think my excitement at seeing him fight someone who he didn't have a physical advantage over tainted how I viewed the fight live.
Gus did things that no one else had been able to do to Jones which was so bloody exciting to see. Don't think it was a controversial decision though.

I was like GUS GUS GUS GUS when I was watching that fight dude

What you mean "one of"? It is by far the hardest fight of Jones career. There is no "arguably" or "one of" in it.

TBF, the hardest is also one of the hardest. But yeah, I agree that it was obviously his hardest fight.

Back