Why does rap music get a free pass?

Why does rap/hip hop music get a free pass from the aggressive metoo movement and millenial social justice warriors? I just heard a rap song in my gym with the N word and some skinny white dork singing along.

Is he allowed to yell the N word in public if it's in a rap song? Or pretends it's part of a song?

Why is the content of that rap "music" yelling about bitches and hos not the ire of the metoo mania? How come this garbage is being played everywhere now without concequences? if somebody tells to turn that noise pollution off will they be accused of being racist?

There seems to be a gross double standard going on around here.
Headphones, Cannibal Corpse playlist, repeat. Problem solved.

In 100% positive i could give you some songs you can relate to and appreciate.
True.
...and I can give you songs that preach about white hate, rape, murder, and crime.

Hi Grandpa
It "gets a pass" because it is unlike other types of music. Rap is about telling a story. What makes a good rapper is how they can tell the story, their flow, and how they use the words. The beat and the words are what makes a good rap song. The medium allows for more possibilities as far as topics go.

All other music focuses on the voice first. And it's not like cursing and topics about violence is only in rap. It can be found in pop, country, rock, punk, and metal too.

What about classical music or instrumentals? What topics can rap cover that the other genres of music cannot?

For the record I moved this thread to the music sub because it is hard to have a discussion about music without giving audible examples. Posting a bunch of youtube videos would lead to this thread getting dumped, so I would rather see further discussion take place here.

Last edited:
@58miles i agree, the only difference is back then, the people that listened to it were people from the inner city, general poor and generally involved in some facet if "criminality" Nowadays, rich white suburban moms are singing songs about drug use and using the n word.

Headphones, Cannibal Corpse playlist, repeat. Problem solved.

The difference is that Cannibal Corpse is far from a mainstream band while a lot of violent and sexist rap is popular within the mainstream. CC have sold around 2 million albums since 1988. I've heard kids in elementary schools listening to Cardi B, but the same cannot be said about Cannibal Corpse.

Hi Grandpa
It "gets a pass" because it is unlike other types of music. Rap is about telling a story.

That isn't and has never been the case for the absolute majority of artists in the genre. It is now and has always been mostly about dancing, like most other forms of music.

Going after the content of art on moral grounds has always been a losing proposition. It never stops having popular, offensive elements. It was something else upsetting people yesterday, and it will be some other thing tomorrow. It's too abstract to be a real villain.

People often fear the consequences of being labeled racist for standing facts or simply subtly commenting something negatively about black people and black culture but go ahead and pretend that's not true.

just look at the hip hop thread in this music forum.. It's embarassing. There is a guy from Boston who posts nothing but wannabe gangster stunna thug rappers with no lyrical ability or value. Just pure trash.
Guys like this
sQ7Ls1W.jpg

50cjpkD.jpg

w77LA8I.jpg

IChxmlH.jpg
nrj3AYY.jpg

I think it's because rap it's mainly black. And majority of people are too afraid to criticize anything black. The same double standard happens with homophobia. We almost never hear how homophobic black men are, and how hard it is to be black and gay because of it.

Another example since you mentioned #metoo, no one says a thing about young men being oversexualized and used by older gay men. Everybody knows about it, nobody talks about it.
<TrumpWrong1>
You think that rap hasn't been criticized!?!?!? When the NWAs and 2pacs and Snoops were big, rap was heavily criticized. Language has to be bleeped on the radio, parental advisory stickers have to be placed on CDs with explicit content, you can't play certain songs on the radio, people in government have been big critics of it (I believe Cheney's wife was a big critic)

The homophobia in the black community IS talked about. And it has gotten better. You dont hear mainstream artists throw around some words like they used to.
The conversation probably got really big with Eminem because he always used gay slurs and mentioned Elton John.
Frank Ocean is a popular RnB artist that works with a lot of rappers, and hes gay.

Lol and how would you even know if the conversation was or wasn't happening anyways? How many conversations on hip hop and what's happening with black people have you been in on?
The white self pity party is so tiring. At 12% of the population, why would black issues get talked about as much, or more than mainstream issues of the majority culture? A lot of some of these issues aren't even really "black" issues, they have to do with poverty and religion. A lot of blacks are big believers in God and have a higher percentage of poverty. There ain't a lot of love or care for gays in the church or the streets.

That isn't and has never been the case for the absolute majority of artists in the genre. It is now and has always been mostly about dancing, like most other forms of music.
lol no, no it hasnt.

The difference is that Cannibal Corpse is far from a mainstream band while a lot of violent and sexist rap is popular within the mainstream. CC have sold around 2 million albums since 1988. I've heard kids in elementary schools listening to Cardi B, but the same cannot be said about Cannibal Corpse.
Oh I know. I wasn't drawing a comparison. Death Metal is a small niche sub genre of metal. But I also know that the TS is a big Cannibal Corpse fan, thus my suggestion.

People often fear the consequences of being labeled racist for standing facts or simply subtly commenting something negatively about black people and black culture but go ahead and pretend that's not true.
True and sad.
Whites can't criticize blacks, but blacks can criticize whites. Same applies to antisemitism.
Blacks had slavery and Jews had the holocaust...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammywells
Back