Tyron, Offering No Excuses, Asks for Rematch (Based on Resume, Not Last Night); Dana Says No

Should the UFC give TW a rematch?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tyron Woodley is not going to pretend like he didn’t have a bad night in the cage against Kamaru Usman on Saturday night.

Woodley’s a straight shooter in victory and defeat, so he’s giving Usman all his proper due for a dominant performance in winning the UFC welterweight title in Las Vegas. The scores of 50-44, 50-44 and 50-45 don’t really do justice to how well Usman fought.

“I gotta give him his respect,” Woodley said at the post-fight press conference at T-Mobile Arena. “Because like I said before I’ve been on the other side of the stick a lot. I’ve beat a lot of people up, knocked a lot of people out, won some close fights, that people may have thought they won so I just had to make sure he got his respect, his proper respect for winning tonight.”

But Woodley also knows this: Despite the one-sided nature of the defeat, he’s had his ups and downs in his career and always bounced back. So even though the bout wasn’t a close fight, he wants a rematch for the belt that he held for two years and seven months.

“We know what I’m capable of,” Woodley said.” I’m just looking to rematch and run it back, man. It was my fifth title defense, and I feel like, I’m the champion and what I’ve done for this organization, man, the performance may not have voiced for a rematch but I think my resume does.”

. . .

“It was an uncharacteristic fight of me,” Woodley said. “I kind of knew early on. Sometimes when I start a fight, I come out blazing, I come out with combinations, I kind of get in that rhythm and I stay in that rhythm. This time it was just something real weird. He was dropping down and squatting all low and it was almost like I was hypnotized like I know you’re about to shoot, I’m trying to time what you do so I can hit you with those uppercuts, and I then I think I got to the point I was just waiting on him to shoot.”

But when Usman came out and implemented his game plan, Woodley simply couldn’t find another gear.

“Tonight it was just weird,” Woodley said. “I was just flat and I don’t know why but when you’re on this stage you can’t have a bad night.”

UFC president Dana White indicated former interim champion Colby Covington will be next in line for Usman. Woodley, for his part, said any of a number of things can happen between now and whenever that fight might be scheduled, so he’s going to stay ready.

“You never know,” Woodley said. “People get injured, things happen. Colby might pull a couple more stunts and kick himself off the title fight, so I’m just going to be prepared. I think like I said before as a champion that took out Robbie Lawler who was fighter of the year twice, defended his belt four times, I feel like a rematch, Colby has been kind of sitting around trying to call the shots but if that’s what the organization wants to do, it’s their organization.”

Until then, despite Saturday’s outcome, Woodley firmly believes a rematch will go the other way.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/3/...notized-but-wants-a-rematch-with-kamaru-usman

Unfortunately not after getting dominated like that, Tyron will never touch the belt again

I just laughed when Dana was asked what's next for Woodley and he said "he should take some time off with his family".

he did absolutely nothing, so no he doesn't deserve. let's stop with instant rematches. let's move on, bring on colby

Not after how boring / dominant it was

He should face Ponz and then fight the winner of Usman vs Colby maybe

Woodly wants a rematch: NO WAY
Conor wants a rematch : Isn't he great?

Not after how boring / dominant it was

He should face Ponz and then fight the winner of Usman vs Colby maybe
Nah Ponz ain’t ready for the big of a fight, Ponz should fight Askren next

He deserves one for sure, but this is UFC a private organisation they really don't care if somebody deserves it or not. Stipe also deserves a rematch, Cody got a rematch etc, we will see what happens, but it's unlikely he will get another shot.

He is going to get the Stipe treatment. If you talk shit on the level Woodley does then u better keep winning cause Dana’s going to make u wait when u lose. Oh and I doubt very much the fans will be clamouring for Tyron to get the fight

Not after a one-sided domination like that. Same as McGregor, absolutely no reason for an immediate rematch with Khabib.

Covington next, then Askren if he wins his next one, by that point if Woodley has won 1-2 he can get a rematch.

A rematch after a 50-44 is Hard to sell.

Tyron deserve a #1 contender fight tho.

I do think Woodley deserves a rematch based on his resume. But homeboy really got dominated in that fight. Not a close decision or a flash knockout, by 25 mins of domination.

Dana is going to keep Tyron from the belt as long as he can now

He deserves one for sure, but this is UFC a private organisation they really don't care if somebody deserves it or not. Stipe also deserves a rematch, Cody got a rematch etc, we will see what happens, but it's unlikely he will get another shot.
yeah but we have to stop this trend. cody definitely didn't deserve it. they're doing the right thing this time

TW surprisingly classy in defeat, but I'm not convinced he just had an off night. If Colby hadn't been cheated out of his shot, I'd be more likely to say TW should get a rematch. I also think he was a win or two short of reigning long enough to get a rematch.

No fucking thank you. One fight like that one is enough.

Woodley blew it. Should've went out on his sword instead of back pedaling

If they don't give Tyron a rematch then don't give Conor one, simple as that. I'm fine with no immediate rematches.

This cherrypicking bullshit is so annoying though

Back