Errol Spence vs Mickey Garcia

Espresso

Post USADA
@Silver
Reaction score
Who you got? Fight will happen next week.

I think these 2 are the best two boxers in the world right now. Cant think of a fight the UFC can make to match the level.

One of the best fights ever will go down next sat. 2 greats in their prime

Mikey is special and will show his p4p elite skillset

mikey garcia's camp obviously knows something, otherwise they wouldn't be taking this fight, but i can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

garcia is one of the most technical boxers in the game, but he has no business fighting at 140, let alone 147. realistically, they are at least 2 weight classes apart, and spence is among the biggest power punchers in the higher weight class. as if that wasn't enough of a challenge, he isn't some wild brawler, but a solid technician as well. he's slick, he works the body (which will be mikey's downfall, btw), and he knows when to turn it up.

i know people are excited about this because both guys are really good, and we know for a fact that mikey is a special talent... but this isn't going to be a great fight. i expect it to be competitive for 5-6 rounds, and then spence fucking batters garcia. and i don't mean beats him en route to a decision, i mean beats the living shit out of him. spence by brutal stoppage sometime around the 10th round, maybe sooner.

edit: ah, thought this thread was in the boxing forum, didn't realize it was in the heavies. i'm sure this will be a delightful thread full of well-informed people.

Two little dudes who would get dumped on their heads by Sara McMann.

I'll pass.

mikey garcia's camp obviously knows something, otherwise they wouldn't be taking this fight, but i can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

garcia is one of the most technical boxers in the game, but he has no business fighting at 140, let alone 147. realistically, they are at least 2 weight classes apart, and spence is among the biggest power punchers in the higher weight class. as if that wasn't enough of a challenge, he isn't some wild brawler, but a solid technician as well. he's slick, he works the body (which will be mikey's downfall, btw), and he knows when to turn it up.

i know people are excited about this because both guys are really good, and we know for a fact that mikey is a special talent... but this isn't going to be a great fight. i expect it to be competitive for 5-6 rounds, and then spence fucking batters garcia. and i don't mean beats him en route to a decision, i mean beats the living shit out of him. spence by brutal stoppage sometime around the 10th round, maybe sooner.
Ive been saying Spence is the truth but for the life of me i cant see Garcia getting finished

Holy shit, what a war this will be.

These guys would get bludgeoned by the average HS wrestler. #MMA #traneUFC

These guys would get bludgeoned by the average HS wrestler. #MMA #traneUFC
No wrestler stands a chance against my double barrel shotgun
#tranedoublebarrel

Spence by size and power. Mickey will get worn down but will put up a good fight.

Yeah, I don't understand the people in droves saying that Mikey Garcia is leaps and bounds more skilled and technical than Spence. Spence isn't just a power puncher. He's a body puncher that methodically breaks his opponents down. Garcia is more experienced, maybe. But slightly. In terms of skill and technicality, they're close to even. That's why I see Spence destroying him, because he's a few weight classes larger and is seen as a power puncher in his own weight class. I see Mikey making the initial rounds close, but then Spence starts to wear on him to a dominant unanimous decision or a stoppage against the ropes.

Spence will stretch Garcia easy. Back down to 135.

edit: ah, thought this thread was in the boxing forum, didn't realize it was in the heavies. i'm sure this will be a delightful thread full of well-informed people.

Great post.

And I can't understand how/why this fight was made... these are two amazing P4P fighters... in two different weight classes (I'm kinda old school, don't worry much about the "half" weight class differences but this is a real lightweight vs. welterweight fight).

It just seems like a fight no one really thought about and asked for... except Mikey Garcia and his camp so they MUST know something right?? Or they just cashing out? Hum... maybe that's all it is, Mikey is just cashing out since from a long time ago, I remember reading that it's been just a business to him from the beginning hence those prime years 2014-2016 when he pretty much sat out due to promotional disputes.

You know what, I'm thinking that's all it is. Mikey is cashing out and might even retire after this fight.

But the most shocking thing about this fight?

This:

temp.jpg

$75??? What do you think the PPV buys will be for this? 90,000?

^$75 is a terrible price point for two men who have never been on PPV before.

If Mikey loses, I just hope he doesn't get finished.

^$75 is a terrible price point for two men who have never been on PPV before.
That is just crazy, especially for two guys who simply do not have the "name" for PPVs.

Honestly, I can't see this going over 100k PPV buys.

That is just crazy, especially for two guys who simply do not have the "name" for PPVs.

Honestly, I can't see this going over 100k PPV buys.

Right - not trying to be overly negative about it - .....just realistically I don't see it doing all that well. Heck look at Terence Crawford, his first PPV with Postol did 50k I believe (who knows how well he'll do vs Khan on ESPN PPV next month)

when selling a PPV the names involved matter - sure boxing and combat sports fans will purchase, but beyond the hardcore/die hards - who the heck knows Spence or Garcia?

plus this is a really bizarre fight to be on PPV. Sure both men have done work in each of their respective division (divisions in the case of Garcia) but I just don't think the match up screams "must buy"

match up for match up Kovalev-Ward was a tremendously better fight on paper - and if I recall correctly that only did 165,000 PPV buys (rematch was 120,000 ppv buys)

Right - not trying to be overly negative about it - .....just realistically I don't see it doing all that well. Heck look at Terence Crawford, his first PPV with Postol did 50k I believe (who knows how well he'll do vs Khan on ESPN PPV next month)

when selling a PPV the names involved matter - sure boxing and combat sports fans will purchase, but beyond the hardcore/die hards - who the heck knows Spence or Garcia?

plus this is a really bizarre fight to be on PPV. Sure both men have done work in each of their respective division (divisions in the case of Garcia) but I just don't think the match up screams "must buy"

match up for match up Kovalev-Ward was a tremendously better fight on paper - and if I recall correctly that only did 165,000 PPV buys (rematch was 120,000 ppv buys)

Completely agree. And really the only reason I am negative about it is that it should have just been on free TV so they would get far more exposure to fans. With those numbers you mentioned, now I'm thinking Spence vs. Garcia is going to be like 75k buys if Kovalev vs. Ward 2 was only 120k and they were pretty big names.

With likely such low PPV buyrates, they aren't going to make much money, heck, they probably would have gotten more money just to be on Fox maybe? Anyhow, I'm not buying it.... not at $75. Maybe if it were $30.

Back