Muay Thai Sucks for MMA

HSM1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tbh Growing up I always thought Muay Thai was THEE backround needed to be succesful in standing MMA.
Yet it heavily relies on big gloves blocking strikes to your face. With no gloves or Little MMA gloves. You cant protect your face with those huge shields. You get clipped. Also as you saw in Shogun vs Jones, The footwork SUCKS. You get outworked by faster, Longer opponents.

I believe the best striking style for mma would be something like Whittaker's karate style, or MVP's style... Conor Mcgregors style.. or even a boxing style
Awesome kicks and footwork. Explosiveness.. Agility.. I feel like Muay Thai isn't practical. A katate or TKD styled guy will blitz on you easily, and move away before you can counter.

It just depends on how the fighter uses their Muaythai in mma. Also just like in Boxing and Karate there are different styles of Muaythai. Some styles work better than others.

Muay Thai is one of the few Martial Arts to properly incorporate some form of grappling and striking.

If I had to choose 1 discipline and only 1, Muay Thai might be it. Wrestling only works because of time limits.

Time limits?

Muay thai is great when Incorporated Into a well rounded striking game. and when properly adapted to MMA.

But, It's Important to train boxing separately right from the start. Muay thai gyms teach you far too many bad habits with your hands and those neural pathways can be difficult to change when they're so deeply Ingrained into you.

Traditional martial arts are definitely seeing a resurgence at the moment. The Footwork, movement, stance, wide base, diversity and creativity of attack and defense lends itself well to MMA. Particularly when combined with proper pure boxing training under a respectable coach.

Muay thai isn't at all out of place within the mix. There are many weaknesses as a core striking style, particularly in MMA.. but It has it's place and It would be silly not to incorporate some elements Into your overall game.

I think more of a western K1 style is better for mma.

Footwork and movement aren’t emphasised as much in pure Muay Thai. Defence is more important than evasion.

Wrong
zm9qf_medium.gif

Muay Thai is great for MMA.

Anderson Silva and Jose Aldo are 2 of the best MMA strikers of all time and they both had a Muay Thai background.

Last edited:
When you talk about glove size you can just as easily say BJJ is not affective when punches are being thrown and glove size argument can be said about boxing as well.

traditional Muay Thai is basically none existent in MMA. Most western Muay Thai guys teach a modified style with added techniques from boxing karate kickboxing etc. Almost everyone kicks Muay Thai style now a days aside from guys like wonderboy.

Without “Muay Thai” We wouldn’t know much about low kicks, elbows, knees and clinch striking.

Ofcourse adding boxing combos, head movement, power punch set ups, as well as karate foot movement and precision creates the ultimate style.

Last edited:
It brings important aspects that need to be trained but it needs to be learned in conjunction with other striking arts.

Much like how jiu jitsu also teaches important aspects yet doesn't do much on its own. Wrestling needs to be learned with it in MMA, a jiu jitsu guy with no ability to take someone down is useless in there.

Thai dosnt preach head movement and the footwork is limited. But in clinches and low kicks its the go-to.

It's 2019. Why are we still on this bullshit for MMA? You are pretending that what Jones is using isn't Muay Thai? Majority of those guys who did long pants kickboxing transitioned to Muay Thai.
What we see in the UFC isn't considered sport Muay Thai but rather a hybridization. How many people do we see check a kick? Even slip a high kick, catch and sweep? Sweep from clinch? We see glimpses of it but it's modified for MMA.

MMA is it's own sport, just like boxing there are things from MT that work well and other things that need to be adapted for the context of MMA.

Shogun is not really a shining example of MT. Jones has called himself a MT striker before, like when he fought Machida and we saw how that went. Jon is a very "mma" striker though because he does all kinds of shit.

Using a high guard and gloves to block your face is a style used in MT, just like it's a style used in boxing. It isn't a definitive part of MT, some keep their hands low.

The level of clinching in MMA could greatly benefit by more pure MT techniques.

Also MVP is not a good MMA striker. If he doesn't duck Lima you will see Lima destroy him with MT, and I would gladly account bet even a white belt on this.

Whittaker does have a good style though, great striker.

In this topic, a bunch of clowns who have never seen real Muay Thai.

Boxing and Muay Thai were my first martial arts and I did them for years. I largely agree with you. Many MT fighters have awful footwork and mediocre to bad hands. If my kids want to fight I'll put them in wrestling/karate, and teach them to box myself. I think that's a superior backround.

Back