Will 165lb happen in the next 5 years?

Like make 195 division n remove 205?

Sounds good to me. Most Light heavyweights are 220-235lbs anyways. There's just not much MMA talent in the 220-260lb weight range, so may as well merge those divisions. Also, most heavyweight champs have been around 240lbs, so it's not like being a 230lb heavyweight is a big disadvantage, and if it is, then eat more.

If they're gonna do it, may as well have 195, Romero Weidman and Cockhold would be all over that. Probably natty GOAT Paulo Costa too.

I always found it weird why Dana has been so against it.

They're so dead set on a title fight headlining every PPV that a another belt made up of decent selling names seems like a no brainer.

Sure it will weaking a little bit of the 155 and 170 divisions but its always kind of been a log jam in both divisions for years with title shots. If they do 165 I'd like to change 170 to 175.

Not happening. They could have done GSP/Conor for the inaugural 165 belt. Would have been guaranteed a champ champ champ.

Instead they did Beeb/Conor. The 165 window has closed.

It’s 5 pounds from ww...
Currently the gap between lightweight and welterweight is 15 lbs. If you made a 165 division the welterweight division would be 175. So it would be 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, (205), (HW).

hope this helps

125 ... or not, whatever.

+ SuperHeavyWeight please!!!

I would enjoy less weight classes not more.

Currently the gap between lightweight and welterweight is 15 lbs. If you made a 165 division the welterweight division would be 175. So it would be 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, (205), (HW).

hope this helps

That would be unnecessary.

Why get rid of one off he most competitive divisions (170) to give title shots to gatekeepers?

A lot of fighters who moved up from 155 are actually pretty competitive at 170, so crating 165 would make no sense.

I always found it weird why Dana has been so against it.

They're so dead set on a title fight headlining every PPV that a another belt made up of decent selling names seems like a no brainer.

Sure it will weaking a little bit of the 155 and 170 divisions but its always kind of been a log jam in both divisions for years with title shots. If they do 165 I'd like to change 170 to 175.

I think they want more stability between weight classes

They want fighters to commit to one weight class for longer period n only make a change after they have nothing left to do in that weight class. Ex. Pettis at lw.

By having 165 (n then most likely moving 170 to 175) fighters will just be hopping from weight class to weight class.

As soon as they lose a fight n their contender status, they’ll move up or down to new weight class.

So these new classes will be filled with couple of contenders n journeyman with no solid 5 to 10 ranked gatekeepers.

Basically it would look like lhw n hw divisions

That would be unnecessary.

Why get rid of one off he most competitive divisions (170) to give title shots to gatekeepers?

A lot of fighters who moved up from 155 are actually pretty competitive at 170, so crating 165 would make no sense.

They would lose some tweeners to 165 but it would also be an easier cut for some fighting at 185 that can do a 10 lb cut but not 15 to WW, the talent pool would be comparable, would create another division, and would make weight cuts easier for a lot of fighters.

Judging by how they so desperately use shitle fight or interim shitle fight to sell PPV, yes, they will eventually do 175 lbs, 195 lbs.

weightclasses should be separated by increments of 10 percent, not 10 pounds.
it's easier for a light heavyweight to cut 10 pounds than for a flyweight. the body only cares about the percentages of it's own bodyweight, not what pounds means.
there's a reason UFC formulates their recommendations on max recommended weightcut on fightweek in percentages

They would lose some tweeners to 165 but it would also be an easier cut for some fighting at 185 that can do a 10 lb cut but not 15 to WW, the talent pool would be comparable, would create another division, and would make weight cuts easier for a lot of fighters.

Or it will encourage more weight cutting...

Mw champ right now is a guy who was no longer able to make 170 cut.

If 175 was an option, then he would’ve try that instead going directly to 185.

Success guys like Pettis n Masvidal are having at ww, gastelum n Whittaker at mw n santos n smith at lhw are pretty much reaffirms that more weight classes are not needed.

Instead fighters should just stop cutting so much weight n fight in weight classes that suits them the best

Instead fighters should just stop cutting so much weight n fight in weight classes that suits them the best
Hard to do when it's 15 lb increments is the point. Someone like Nate Diaz has to either cut a lot to 155 or be outsized by WWs that barely make the cut.

Back