Colby's "Lack of Power" and Strategy

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I think everyone agrees that Colby's performance with Robbie was excellent, showing immense cardio and relentless pressure. But it is a mistake to think that Colby lacks power simply because he landed a plethora while not doing significant damage to finish the fight.

Of course, Colby could swing harder, and generate more power. But would that really benefit him? He would not only waste more energy, but also leave more openings for his opponent to counter. Think of the Diaz brothers' boxing style: they swarm you with punches to the point where they simply smother you and don't give you a chance to fight back, since you're always on the back foot defending what's coming.

People also say Robbie was shook, but this is wrong. It was Colby's relentless offensive which basically prevented Robbie from ever getting started. Anyone who trains will know the feeling of being frozen against someone who imposes their game from the get-go and doesn't let you find a groove. It happened to Tyron with Usman, and it happened to Robbie this last weekend. Volume over power allows one to keep a steady pace, but more importantly to shut one's opponent's capacity to find his/her rhythm down.

Great scrap, and I was super impressed with Colby.

Winning all 25 mins is super impressive to me too. Its a gamble considering the average viewers attention span/expectations but should be applauded nonetheless

I think everyone agrees that Colby's performance with Robbie was excellent, showing immense cardio and relentless pressure. But it is a mistake to think that Colby lacks power simply because he landed a plethora while not doing significant damage to finish the fight.

Of course, Colby could swing harder, and generate more power. But would that really benefit him? He would not only waste more energy, but also leave more openings for his opponent to counter. Think of the Diaz brothers' boxing style: they swarm you with punches to the point where they simply smother you and don't give you a chance to fight back, since you're always on the back foot defending what's coming.

People also say Robbie was shook, but this is wrong. It was Colby's relentless offensive which basically prevented Robbie from ever getting started. Anyone who trains will know the feeling of being frozen against someone who imposes their game from the get-go and doesn't let you find a groove. It happened to Tyron with Usman, and it happened to Robbie this last weekend. Volume over power allows one to keep a steady pace, but more importantly to shut one's opponent's capacity to find his/her rhythm down.

Great scrap, and I was super impressed with Colby.
He uses his strikes as a disruption. He sat down on a few uppercuts to the body. I'm with you it's tactical and his striking complements his gameplan. I'm not a Colby fan but I get the gimmick. I made this almost exactly same post and no one wanted to hear it.

It's still boring even if it works. I only became a fan of GSP when he fought and beat Bisping the way he did.

He uses his strikes as a disruption. He sat down on a few uppercuts to the body. I'm with you it's tactical and his striking complements his gameplan. I'm not a Colby fan but I get the gimmick. I made this almost exactly same post and no one wanted to hear it.
Yeah he is spamming punches to get to his strengths. He isn't looking to knock anyone out.

He’s the most well-rounded fighter on the planet right now. There is no man alive that could stop him. Greatest welterweight of all-time and a Batman to Masvidal’s Robin. Will put Snoozeman to sleep via a brutal KO.

Yeah he is spamming punches to get to his strengths. He isn't looking to knock anyone out.
He also arguably let Lawler get up and exert energy in doing so after his takedowns.

He’s very similar to Askren in that regard thought I’d say Colby does it better.(the striking, not the wrestling,)

It's still boring even if it works. I only became a fan of GSP when he fought and beat Bisping the way he did.
I'll agree 50% as i believe gsp always fought to finish, but he had tough competition that had time to learn him.

Colby just uses the rules successfully. Hes a shit to watch. I don't find any reason to pay to see him.

He sat down on some uppercuts... dont get me wrong hes pillow fisted but there's more to it than pitter patter ground n pound and weak jabs

I'll agree 50% as i believe gsp always fought to finish, but he had tough competition that had time to learn him.

Colby just uses the rules successfully. Hes a shit to watch. I don't find any reason to pay to see him.
True but if he was putting people in full nelsons the way Aljamain did to Caraway then no one would complain, very high level grappling can be very entertaining at times

You know who else had endless cardio and "good hands"?

Les Binks:

Les-2016-3N.jpg

Always? You think he tried to finish Koscheck 2, Shields, or Alves?

I don't buy into Colby's style yes he has the cardio, yes he has pace, but that's it. No Teeth, No Depth, No Violence, just pushing forward pressure like a big ole puppy dog. When Khabib wrestles you he wrenches your limbs & mauls you, Usman was shoulder punching Woodley against the cage using every part of his body to inflict damage.

Colby just moves a lot changes positions it's like point fighting by constant movement when you really doing nothing but pitter patter fighting. I'm very anxious to see Colby against someone other than a on your way out aging fighter, he's had a menu of them for awhile.

vast majority of people do not understand how striking works, i mean just look how many people shit talk Floyd Mayweather for the same thing as Colby? lots of people say both can't punch for shit which in itself is idiotic, but look at when Conor fought Floyd. Floyd was the one walking the bigger McGregor down and TKO'd him with his "pillow fists". he then fought a guy smaller than him and completely wrecked the fuck out of that Japanese kid.

just because you don't knock everyone out all the time doesn't mean you can't. people also don't get that KO's don't happen because you have enormous power, KO's happen when you have your timing keyed in and have set a trap and/or your opponent made a mistake. Bisping suffered from the same jokes that Colby got and then he won the Middleweight championship off a guy who had already beaten and finished him and was considered an invincible champion by 1st rd fucking KO. that's what happens when you fight like the other guy can't hurt you, you get hurt.

vast majority of people do not understand how striking works, i mean just look how many people shit talk Floyd Mayweather for the same thing as Colby? lots of people say both can't punch for shit which in itself is idiotic, but look at when Conor fought Floyd. Floyd was the one walking the bigger McGregor down and TKO'd him with his "pillow fists". he then fought a guy smaller than him and completely wrecked the fuck out of that Japanese kid.

just because you don't knock everyone out all the time doesn't mean you can't. people also don't get that KO's don't happen because you have enormous power, KO's happen when you have your timing keyed in and have set a trap and/or your opponent made a mistake. Bisping suffered from the same jokes that Colby got and then he won the Middleweight championship off a guy who had already beaten and finished him and was considered an invincible champion by 1st rd fucking KO. that's what happens when you fight like the other guy can't hurt you, you get hurt.
Most people saying "pillowfists" out themselves as uneducated fight fans.

Mayweather turns it up when the time is right. He koed hatton and nearly stopped Cotto,using similar tactics against conor.

A great fighter will usually find the finish. If Colby had such great fight iq, he would have subbed or ko'd atleast 2 of his last 5 opponents. As it stands he is just another decision fighter. I'm not as easily impressed as many of these mma noobs here on SD.

Back