Crime De’Von Bailey police shooting. Edit: settlement of 3 million reached.

He never pulled the gun from his waistband but you could see how it looked like he was reaching for it. That’s a rough one.
I think the officers should need to actually see a weapon aimed in their direction before an execution is justified.
Stupid motherfucker shouldn’t have run though.

Problem of that is if you wait for it to actually be aimed at you, you are probably gonna be shot before you react to it.

Child rapist illegally possessing handgun and runs from cops?

<IllKillU>

Child rapist illegally possessing handgun and runs from cops?

<IllKillU>

I don't know. The cop didn't actually see the suspect pull the gun out, point it at him, and cock the hammer back before assessing him as a threat.

Video was more disturbing than I thought it would be. I'd extend a caution to anybody who has not seen it that it shows the kid lay face down and bleed to death in the street.

He was sprinting at full speed away from the police officers, I don't see any threat when they opened fire. He sort of puts his hands in front, maybe holding his pants up? That must be what the cops saw and thought he was trying to get his gun. I understand what they were seeing, but I think they definitely acted too early. There was no gun visible at any point and the kid was sprinting away from them when he was gunned down from behind.

Question, why don't they show the gun in the footage? He clearly has something in his shorts, but has it been officially stated by the police that they confirmed it was a firearm? I've read several articles and nothing confirms the firearm, they just say the cops mention a firearm in the video. Not that it matters here one way or the other in determining the outcome of this case, since he was killed for having his hands near his pants. The cops never claimed they saw a gun before killing him.

@nhbbear, what is your take on the video?

That’s true. What do you think about putting him down?
A 12 gauge loaded with rock salt would be handy in cases like this. :)

Problem of that is if you wait for it to actually be aimed at you, you are probably gonna be shot before you react to it.

@nhbbear, what is your take on the video?

What is your take on that video now that you saw it ? Im pretty sure I know what bears take is going to be and you are the one who doesnt like the shot in the back detail so Im curious if your opinion has changed ?

It looks clean to me

If they were suspected of drug dealing or a b and E that might be excessive but with what info they had and the suspects actions I dont know what else you would want them to do?

What is your take on that video now that you saw it ? Im pretty sure I know what bears take is going to be and you are the one who doesnt like the shot in the back detail so Im curious if your opinion has changed ?

It looks clean to me

If they were suspected of drug dealing or a b and E that might be excessive but with what info they had and the suspects actions I dont know what else you would want them to do?

I'm torn on it honestly. It appears that the officers did not actually see the gun. At one point it was rumored that they claimed to have seen it before he ran. If they put in the report that they did see it before firing, then it looks bad on the officers.

The fact remains that he was shot in the back. At the time of the shooting he was fleeing. He was grabbing at his waist, but that doesnt mean he was going for the gun. It happened quickly, three seconds from the point he run till the first shots. I probably wouldnt be super upset if no charges were brought against the police here.

I'm torn on it honestly. It appears that the officers did not actually see the gun. At one point it was rumored that they claimed to have seen it before he ran. If they put in the report that they did see it before firing, then it looks bad on the officers.

The fact remains that he was shot in the back. At the time of the shooting he was fleeing. He was grabbing at his waist, but that doesnt mean he was going for the gun. It happened quickly, three seconds from the point he run till the first shots. I probably wouldnt be super upset if no charges were brought against the police here.
The things that bother me about this one are:

1.) The officers are shooting while running, I get not everyone can stop and get a perfect weaver/isosoles stance in their shoots but that seems like a WONDERFUL way to get bystanders shot.

Guys who compete and the people they train even though they're moving it's not a full sprint and a single hand grip shoot.

2.) At least based on BWC you can't see the gun. That said, BWC film is grainy and it's frame is usually pretty damn limited depending where it's worn on the officer so from the officer's perspective during that initial interaction before the guy takes off running he could have seen the gun printing on the shirt.

For those pointing out, and only focusing on him being shot in the back, remember that TNvGarner dictates that an officer can’t shoot a fleeing suspect in the back IF they are an active threat to the community wholeness fleeing from police. Any use of force is a seizure based on the fourth amendment. That use of lethal force must be able to prove that the need for the state to use that seizure under the 4th, the need of the community must outweigh the rights of the suspect. Also, Graham v Connor, has 7 factors that include the crime the suspect is being arrested for, suspect actively fleeing or fighting with police, suspect armed-all of which are checked in this incident.

It’s not in the video, and body cam may reveal what I read, which is that officers claim that he displayed a gun at officers before running. Plus, he just robbed someone at gunpoint. I would say that makes him a threat to the community.

Where did you read this?

2.) At least based on BWC you can't see the gun. That said, BWC film is grainy and it's frame is usually pretty damn limited depending where it's worn on the officer so from the officer's perspective during that initial interaction before the guy takes off running he could have seen the gun printing on the shirt.

I dont believe they had seen a gun. That is why after they shot him one officer says "let's check him for weapons right quick".

Last edited:
The fact remains that he was shot in the back. At the time of the shooting he was fleeing. He was grabbing at his waist, but that doesnt mean he was going for the gun

But if he was and the cops didnt shoot ..... that goes both ways

I also heard the cops talk to them and I think they new exactly why the cops were talking to them and what they were suspected of .... and still chose to run Its kind of a what did you think was going to happen to you kinda question.

I dont think all suspects should be treated that way but what can they do when they suspect they are dealing with an armed person , dont have xray vision and human reaction speed is only so fast . If you wait til you see your armed suspect pull a weapon that has a real good chance of being too slow to react to it

If the cops let you know they think you are an armed robber you really need to comply or you are taking some serious risks with your health and everyone around yous as well

But if he was and the cops didnt shoot ..... that goes both ways

I also heard the cops talk to them and I think they new exactly why the cops were talking to them and what they were suspected of .... and still chose to run Its kind of a what did you think was going to happen to you kinda question.

I dont think all suspects should be treated that way but what can they do when they suspect they are dealing with an armed person , dont have xray vision and human reaction speed is only so fast . If you wait til you see your armed suspect pull a weapon that has a real good chance of being too slow to react to it

If the cops let you know they think you are an armed robber you really need to comply or you are taking some serious risks with your health and everyone around yous as well

Did they shoot him because they thought he had a gun, or because he ran? If it was the first it becomes a discussion about if he was a immediate threat, and a good argument could be made since he was pulling around his waistband the way he was. If they shot because he ran away, then this was a bad shooting.

Neither officer calls out that they thought he had a gun at the time of the shooting.

Last edited:
Did they shoot him because they thought he had a gun, or because he ran? If it was the first it becomes a discussion about if he was a immediate threat, and a good argument could be made since he was pulling around his waistband the way he was. If they shot because he ran away, then is there this was a bad shooting.

Neither officer calls out that they thought he had a gun at the time of the shooting.

I would say they shot him because they thought he had a gun and was about to pull it out , but I cant read anyones mind so thats just my guess

Lol that USA Today article was actually hard to read. The quotes from family members talk about justice and what’s right and wrong. You know what else is wrong? Robbing people at fucking gun point. Don’t do stupid shit and don’t get shot. It’s pretty simple.

Lol that USA Today article was actually hard to read. The quotes from family members talk about justice and what’s right and wrong. You know what else is wrong? Robbing people at fucking gun point. Don’t do stupid shit and don’t get shot. It’s pretty simple.
Don't be a convicted pedophile robbing people at gun point.

Back