Why Romero Beat Costa (Statistics)

Ragnus

K-1 Heavyweight Champion
@Green
Reaction score
Significant strikes: Romero outlanding
romero: 125
costa: 118

Strikes to the head: Romero landed 43.3%!!!!!! more punches to the head (contains the brain and should be regarded as more effective than strikes to the leg/body).
romero: 96
costa: 67
Romero outstruck costa to the head in every round.

Round 1: both had a knockdown but costa's knockdown was the most significant strike of the fight. Romero landed 4 more strikes to the head but was outstruck in total by 5.
10-9 costa

round 2: Yoel out strikes costa in total strikes, strikes to the head, strikes to the leg and gets the only takedown of the fight. The only stat Yoel loses out on is body shots.
10-9 romero

round 3: Romero lands more total strikes, LANDED 87.5% MORE HEAD STRIKES and more strikes to the leg.
10-9 romero

29-28 romero

Costa landed the most effective strike of the fight but Yoel clearly hurt Costa several more times than Costa did Yoel. I have no clue how the judges gave Costa a unanimous decision most of his strikes were blocked by Yoel. Costa i feel got way more credit just because people didn't expect him to do so well.

upload_2019-8-19_1-10-53.png

The guy ended up in a wheelchair.

http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/3e16a71836e85212

Guys anyone reading this guys extremely biased take, bare in mind he hand picked each round stats to make it sounds the best for Yoel.

Did not count the savage work to the body costa did.

Did no-t count the KNOCKDOWN that costa did to yoel.

Yoel ONLY aimed at head strikes, nothing else. Costa went for alot more stikes to the entire body and head and still got the knockdown and walked him down.

What would happen if both Yoel and Costa both marched forward in round 1? You know what happens, Yoel gets planted. The only reason hes hanging in there is toughness and by moving away. If they both trade straight on, Costa wins. :D

Guys anyone reading this guys extremely biased take, bare in mind he hand picked each round stats to make it sounds the best for Yoel.

you can clearly take into consideration costa's body work in the total strike output, costa clearly landed the better body strikes and I did mention twice that costa landed the single most effective strike of the fight with the knockdown.

The judging criteria clearly value hard, impactful strikes that do damage over volume.

Costa 2-1. Yoel is a dirty fighter and way overvalued on here by dudes who want to watch him fuck their moms.

The judging criteria clearly value hard, impactful strikes that do damage over volume.

Costa 2-1. Yoel is a dirty fighter and way overvalued on here by dudes who want to watch him fuck their moms.

Lets not forget that perfectly timed eyepoke Yoel landed just as he was getting tagged with bombs... :D

Then Yoel immediately goes to the cage and hangs his arms up to rest. Thats a bit odd isnt it? Hes not even looking to see if Costa is okay and wants to continue.. instead he lands a big poke and then immediately goes to rest at the cage, back turned to his opponent.. Fishy.

I did think Yoel won round 2 and 3, but scoring fights based on fightmetric stats is retarded.

Yoel ONLY aimed at head strikes, nothing else. Costa went for alot more stikes to the entire body and head and still got the knockdown and walked him down.

What would happen if both Yoel and Costa both marched forward in round 1? You know what happens, Yoel gets planted. The only reason hes hanging in there is toughness and by moving away. If they both trade straight on, Costa wins. :D
Unfortunatly fighters have tactics.....

do you really feel costa did more damage in any round but round 1, the guy was getting rocked consistently in the 2nd and 3rd from counter strikes while also being out struck in pure numbers. Yoel landed the more damaging strikes in round 2 and 3 and landed more strikes, while also landing more strikes to the most important region the head.

Compustrike literally counts any head shot as a significant strike landed. In round 2 and 3, Yoel would tap tap tap Costa to the head and body, like he was gauging distance, and those are counted as significant strikes.

Can't always go by strike #s.

Unfortunatly fighters have tactics.....

Unfortunately? Not really, Yoel lost. If you are getting walked down, you better do way better in the counter striking, and he did not.

romero will never be champion

sorry to ruin your life

Compustrike literally counts any head shot as a significant strike landed. In round 2 and 3, Yoel would tap tap tap Costa to the head and body, like he was gauging distance, and those are counted as significant strikes.

Can't always go by what strike #s.

Agreed, some of those strikes by Yoel were simply jabs. Costa was throwing big hooks to the chin.

Agreed, some of those strikes by Yoel were simply jabs. Costa was throwing big hooks to the chin.
if costa was landing these 'big hooks' to the chin why was he the one getting consistently rocked in rounds 2 and 3, why is he the one wearing more damage?

I agree that Yoel would have got the decision if I was scoring. I thought he deserved the win. But it was a very very close fight and in such cases many opinions are going to differ. And there's nothing you can do about it.

The only remedy against what you think are bad decisions is to finish the fight. Yoel has had some bad luck with judfes decisions of his fights... especially in title fights.

But only a finish guarantees victory.

if costa was landing these 'big hooks' to the chin why was he the one getting consistently rocked in rounds 2 and 3, why is he the one wearing more damage?

First off, its common knowledge that black fighters show damage less because of their skin tone etc.. just the way it is. A lighter skin dude always shows alot more purple and red marks on their face. We have seen this time and time again.

too bad the record books say otherwise and fact romeros stock just dropped all the while cotas went up

Strikes to the head: Romero landed 43.3%!!!!!! more punches to the head (contains the brain and should be regarded as more effective than strikes to the leg/body).

Round 1: both had a knockdown but costa's knockdown was the most significant strike of the fight. Romero landed 4 more strikes to the head but was outstruck in total by 5.
10-9 costa

round 2: Yoel out strikes costa in total strikes, strikes to the head, strikes to the leg and gets the only takedown of the fight. The only stat Yoel loses out on is body shots.
10-9 romero

round 3: Romero lands more total strikes, LANDED 87.5% MORE HEAD STRIKES and more strikes to the leg.
10-9 romero

29-28 romero

Costa landed the most effective strike of the fight but Yoel clearly hurt Costa several more times than Costa did Yoel. I have no clue how the judges gave Costa a unanimous decision most of his strikes were blocked by Yoel. Costa i feel got way more credit just because people didn't expect him to do so well.

View attachment 632011

10-9 costa

10-9 romero

10-9 romero

29-28 romero

View attachment 632011

Jabs aren't real head shots. They're like a push away.
Yoel's didn't get a real knockdown, he caught Costa off balance
Last second takedown in Round 2 should be proof that Yoel knew he was losing the round

Costa was never hurt.
Yoel had to resort to eye pokes.

Unfortunately? Not really, Yoel lost. If you are getting walked down, you better do way better in the counter striking, and he did not.
Ah you misunderstood me. Im not arguing the decision. Im legit saying its too bad they didnt just go straightforward and blast eachother till 1 slept. I told a bud at work this fight is gonna be like smashing 2 bricks together till 1 breaks

Back