Women and Children FIRST! If your life is at risk, what do you do?

MikeMcMann

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blame @Clippy for inspiring me to make 2 threads this morning. This first one asking if you have ever been on a plane or a boat, and now this one trying to see if what was once called chivalry is in fact dead? Or is self sacrifice still a thing in this more modern era?

So here is the scenario you face.

You are flying with no friends or family and know the plane will crash land in the water. You know the water is freezing and death will come quick for any not in a raft. You know the raft only has limited seating and anyone else will be with a flotation device in the water. You do not know how quick help will arrive.

What do you do? Do you try to help others off first, thus ensuring you are near to last and not in the raft? Do you save yourself, grab a seat in the boat and refuse to relinquish it even if faced with children or women with no seat? If you have a pet with you (as many now do on planes) and you know the life boat is being taken to the its most critical weight before risking sinking, do you leave the pet behind so there is maximum room for people? Would you risk your life to save others?

What do you do?

Excepts from this article Clippy linked in another thread

- Passengers described how some of the male passengers shouted 'Women and children first!, after the plane finally came to a halt.
- The river was freezing and she soon realized she could not survive in the cold.
- Luckily a complete stranger risked his own life to shuffle down the wing and haul her out.
- The passengers in the water would not have survived for more than five or ten minutes

-----

For me...

I like to believe and actually think I would be one helping others and by virtue of that just be left without a seat. So its not so much a conscious choice to not take a seat as doing something that I know will result in that but doing it anyway as its the right thing to do IMO.

I'm a stain on society so I would absolutely let other people live before me. I also like to think it would pretty much automatically be a ticket into heaven or whatever shangri-la you want to believe in.

I'm throwing whoever's in my way overboard and getting on the goddamn raft

Sorry, but if I can live, I wouldn't sacrifice my own life unless it's family, specifically wife and kids. As for pets, what kind of stupid question is that? Anyone on a raft that wouldn't allow another humanbeing on the raft that clings on to their pet deserves to get flung off too.

I really think that with scenarios like this, you won't truly know what you'd do unless you've been in that scenario, or a similar one, before.

Most of us would like to think: "Oh, yea. I'd definitely be chivalrous and give up my life raft" but in reality it'd probably be VERY hard to fight the instinct of survival, the strongest instinct we have.

You see... even when folks are drowning, they say don't rescue someone unless you have a flotation device, otherwise their instinct to stay afloat will cause them to submerge, and ultimately drown you, trying to get oxygen.

Sherdog never fails to impress. lol.

As I was writing the OP I was wondering how quickly someone would post that vid.

First reply post. Well done. You score 10 Internets for today!

damn I got ya thinking about stuff

Now you know how I feel

If there is not enough room on the raft, I'm going to shank the fattest person I can find and use them as a flotation device.

Unless the children or women are apart of my bloodline gtfo of my way.

Finding the dead fat guy who was taking up two seats and riding atop his body(no homo) with my dog to the nearest island. Also hoping a dead flight attendant floats ashore too, for research.

First thing I'd do is identify ad a female child

If it's American women, fuck em man they'll have to fight me for a spot.

Depends brah

Survival of the fittest

If my seed is the most valuable then I'm getting on the mother fucking raft

But I'd do my best to save who I could

Unless the children or women are apart of my bloodline gtfo of my way.

Damn straight! My entire general area is getting filled with uppercuts. And it’s a mobile general area, so uppercuts are coming on the path to the raft, and if necessary the raft itself.

As I was writing the OP I was wondering how quickly someone would post that vid.

You had that in mind that someone will post a Seinfeld clip. Its amazing that Constanza is basically what Sherdogs will do from eating out of a trash can (as long as the food doesnt make contact with the trash can sides or rims), being a master of his domain to shirtless poopers

I'm just here for the low hanging fruit.

TL /DR but kill all humans and save the kitties.

about-technology.jpg

I'm a stain on society so I would absolutely let other people live before me. I also like to think it would pretty much automatically be a ticket into heaven or whatever shangri-la you want to believe in.
I can't bring myself to 'like' this post but weirdly can like the one below.

Sorry, but if I can live, I wouldn't sacrifice my own life unless it's family, specifically wife and kids. As for pets, what kind of stupid question is that? Anyone on a raft that wouldn't allow another humanbeing on the raft that clings on to their pet deserves to get flung off too.
I added the 'pets' last minute as I know there will be some who WILL say, they are not giving up their pet even for someones else child, if that is the requirement of who lives or dies.

some may also say 'if my pet cannot go, then I stay and die with him even if there would be room for me alone'.

I added the 'pets' last minute as I know there will be some who WILL say, they are not giving up their pet even for someones else child, if that is the requirement of who lives or dies.

some may also say 'if my pet cannot go, then I stay and die with him even if there would be room for me alone'.

I can't stand people who put their pets above people, or use phrases like "dog mom" or some dumb shit like that.

Back