If you train consistently for 4-6 days a week is purple at 3 years legit ?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
You train consistently 4-6 (average 5) days a week for 3 years straight . No injuries or long breaks or anything like that , competed a few times as a blue , is purple at 3 years legit or a mcdojo belt ?

Asking for a friend's friend

If you are smart, have a good coach and good training partners yes. We have two year blues that are beasts that train less than that

People have gotten black belts in 4 years.

Yes.
Purple is generally a solid base with offense and defense in every major position. No major holes in their game.

90min for class x 5 per week x 52 weeks x 3 yrs
Roughly 30min sparring ea class

dont over think it. Train hard learn and go from there.

While the easy answer is "depends on the person" - generally, while a bit fast, it isn't overwhelming bad.

As always, years is a terrible measure of progression. Mat time is a much better gauge.

for example- if you have someone who trains 2.5 days a week for 5 years, (1.5) hrs per class, call it 50 weeks.
Thats 940 hours of mat time. No one would question "5 years for purple belt"

So lets use your example - 5 days a week, 1.5 hr per class, 3 years, 50 weeks
Thats 1,125 hours of mat time. Yet people get caught up on the "years" thing

So yah, assuming those sessions are all productive- no issues there.

Lets be realistic..... you'll quit at blue belch LOL

There have been people that have dont it in 3-4 yrs - Penn, Caio come to mind.

They were training all the time and doing nothing but.

The only ones at my gym that got purple under 4 years had previous MMA, nogi, wrestling or judo experience.

My coach has is own plan in is head and what you should be able to do before promoting you, he rolls with us, he knows exactly who's in class and who isn't... From what I understand, nobody gets promoted to purple if he doesn't have a complete game (guard playing, guard passing, submissions) and if he's not attending at least three times a week. We have a lot of eternal blue belts at our club

We had two guys dominating at blue belt but the coach wanted them to try bigger comps (worlds, adcc qualifiers...) and he kind of sandbagging for a year or so. Would have been promoted to purple belt after 3 years if he wasn't saving them for competition.

You train consistently 4-6 (average 5) days a week for 3 years straight . No injuries or long breaks or anything like that , competed a few times as a blue , is purple at 3 years legit or a mcdojo belt ?

Hey mate! Did you get promoted purple belt recently ?

No

more than enough, that person probably has more mat time some bb hobbiest.

One who does 2 sessions per week 6 years looks more legit than really dedicated guy who does ~5 sessions per week 3 years?
I don't think so.

This remembered me funny brawl between one who did KB 3 years, 4 - 6 sessions in gym per week and other guy with 6 years, 2 sessions per week...
Guy with 2 sessions per week and 6 years was not able to do with him anything serious.

Yes, without a doubt its doable. 5 times a week over a 3 year period is alot of mat time.

I got mine in 3-3.5. Was training 6 times a week and coming in early to drill. Competed 10-15 comps and had been winning gold my last 5 tournaments. Previous wrestling experience

Do you submit other purple belts? Congrats, your a legit purple belt. Do you lose to all the other purple belts? Don't worry, you'll actually be a legit purple belt in a year or two.

While the easy answer is "depends on the person" - generally, while a bit fast, it isn't overwhelming bad.

As always, years is a terrible measure of progression. Mat time is a much better gauge.

for example- if you have someone who trains 2.5 days a week for 5 years, (1.5) hrs per class, call it 50 weeks.
Thats 940 hours of mat time. No one would question "5 years for purple belt"

So lets use your example - 5 days a week, 1.5 hr per class, 3 years, 50 weeks
Thats 1,125 hours of mat time. Yet people get caught up on the "years" thing

So yah, assuming those sessions are all productive- no issues there.

Good answer, but the criteria of belt promotion are really subjective from an academy to another one. There are so many criteria of attribution (example age, previous grappling/judo/sambo/luta livre/wrestling background, natural aptitudes like superb coordination movements, rapid learning, exceptionnal physical condition).

I remember in my former academy that a young girl in her early twenties got her purple in 3 years ( 1 year white belt and 2 years blue belt) despite starting one year before me because she becomes so addict that she trains twice a day/ 5 days a week and competes a lot (from IBJJF Europeans, Nationals, Abu Dhabi, Rio....etc).
As well a guy starting at his forties but is a crossfit / pilates instructor and got his purple belt in a little more than 3 years and half after earning a bronze medal at the IBJJF Europeans Master 3 blue belt.
At my current academy, I had a purple belt from another academy in the late forties he earned after 3 years and half due to his age and 15 years of judo and competed a few in BJJ but he does a lot of errors and his level is below the average.
The average criteria in my current academy is 3 years as white belt, 3 years as blue belt, 2 years as purple 2 years brown but again it depends on the age and the progress / consistency in training, a woman in her early forties who competes often got promoted blue belt after 2 years of white belt, It took me less than a 1 year and a half to be promoted blue belt before I left to return to my country and at my current academy, I got trashed as a blue belt and I spent 3 years and 3 months as a blue belt (and competing more than a dozen of times) before being promoted purple belt so you see the criteria are very subjective from an academy to another!

Last edited:
Hey mate! Did you get promoted purple belt recently ?

Yup. Kind of underwhelming really not at all what I thought it would be . But keep coming in and training man.... That's all I can do

Back