UFC 243 Whittaker vs Adesanya

What if Whittaker's offensive wrestling is very good now?

We know his defensive wrestling is very good, very hard to take down and very hard to keep down. It would stand to reason that in the time he spent to improve his TDD so much he also equally worked on his offensive wrestling.

He was invited to compete in the commonwealth games for Australia as a wrestler. I'm not saying that makes him an amazing wrestler but I would say that probably makes him a very good high level wrestler. Also I'm not saying that Olympic style wrestling will translate to his MMA game, but as a guy who already had very good MMA experience I'm sure it would be much easier for him to utilize what is good from the Olymic style and merge it into his MMA game.

We didn't see offensive wrestling against Yoel or Jacare, but they aren't really the guys you want to be wrestling with or taking to the ground for obvious reasons.

Izzy on the other hand is just the type of guy you would want to take down if you feel his stand up is too dangerous to compete with for 5 rounds.
It's just he's never done it before...

Whittaker qualified for the Aussie comms games team for wrestling didn't he? Obviously Aussie wrestling sucks but he can wrestle

Trouble is, we've never seen it. Defensively sound but that's irrelevant here. I personally can't put too much stock in the mythical double leg...

Adesanya has really good tdd don't think some aussie wrestling will bother him. It's standup battle.

Adesanya has really good tdd don't think some aussie wrestling will bother him. It's standup battle.

Generally I agree. And it's a 5 rounder. Wrestling (especially initiating grappling exchanges and seeking the TD) takes way more energy than striking. Is Bobby really going to risk using that much energy to try something he's never done?

Oh you mean like.. tape it. lol

I'm not a coach, I am saying his coaches can do that. Plus, I never said no one should ever watch tape ever, I just said tape study is over rated.

My pick pre-tape was Whittaker. Now I have watched Whittaker's most recent fight and Izzy's most recent for the whole card. I reckon I profit still and not just on this fight.

Also, why was their so much controversy after Whittaker/Yoel 2? That was a very clear fight to me - Whittaker rounds 1/2/4, no question. Round three is closer but Yoel landed a big punch in the last 20 seconds of the fight, I wouldn't even say that is huge round for him, but hey let's give it too him... So my guess is people believe round 5 was a 10/8 for Yoel? Why? First two minuets are Whittaker's, then Yoel gets a knock down, does some big good damage from top but Whittaker is moving and trying to slip out or grab a leg to improve his position the whole time, then they get to their feet and Yoel just holds Whittaker against the cage for about 90 seconds doing nothing, then they break and both throw strikes for the final 15 seconds.

3 rounds to 2 for Whittaker

Yeah but TDD against who, Kelvin? Kelvin doesn't wrestle. He's a Tyron Woodly style wrestler, in that everyone says how great it is but you never see it. Do you think Izzy's TDD would hold up against Wideman? Yoel? Even Usman?

Yeah but TDD against who, Kelvin? Kelvin doesn't wrestle. He's a Tyron Woodly style wrestler, in that everyone says how great it is but you never see it. Do you think Izzy's TDD would hold up against Wideman? Yoel? Even Usman?
Kelvin did initiate some takedown attempts iirc but couldn't take him down. Brad Tavares and Brunson also have a wrestling game but nothing came of it. It's hard to say Whittaker is better than these guys with his offensive wrestling in mma when we've never seen it.

He had a serious injury, but Whittaker has had a lot of time off. He would have absolutely worked a lot on his takedowns/offensive wrestling. I back him in to have a cardio advantage so in the later rounds takedowns could be a problem for Izzy.

Kelvin did initiate some takedown attempts iirc but couldn't take him down. Brad Tavares and Brunson also have a wrestling game but nothing came of it. It's hard to say Whittaker is better than these guys with his offensive wrestling in mma when we've never seen it.

For me I hope people stick to this narrative and bet Izzy up, I'm expecting I can get Whittaker at a decent price by fight day.

For me I hope people stick to this narrative and bet Izzy up, I'm expecting I can get Whittaker at a decent price by fight day.
As far as I can see even money on the Reaper might be as good as it gets.
Wouldnt be surprised if he wasn't even too hurt before that Kelvin fight.
That open workout makes me think he hasn't lost a step either

What is Khalid Taha chances? Bruno Silva looks like a beast and has plenty stoppages.

bruno silva is a 5'4 flyweight, here is a video of him getting outgrappled by an opponent with one leg:

anyone from the uk want an intertops account (legit offshore book, allows you to deposit via card)? usually british players are restricted but i have an exemption for a handful of players. dm if interested.

was given wrong info here, apparently intertops is officially launched in the uk with no restrictions.

Not bagging your argument because he hasn't consistently fought top 5 guys for several years but Izzy currently has the best TDD % in middleweight history

Need to rewatch some of Hooker's fights to gauge his TDD.

Initial lean was Al.

Waaaaay better ground game, didn't implement his wrestling at all against Cowboy who is 1) bigger than Hooker and 2) has much better subs off of his back.

UFC 243 Media Day Staredowns:

shiiiiet

i did not expect tai to look so short - i kind of thought that Serghei Spivac was a bit taller than listed when he fought Walt but he's much taller than Tai

Diaz is overrated( I bet him to beat Pettis)
Seriously , his only chance to win with Jorge is on the ground.

Come on, you cant be fading Mcgregors striking that much? He (statistically) outstruck McGregor both times, and 30-27'd Pettis despite the ring rust. I think he is somewhat competitive on the feet, but obviously the ground is his domain.

Back