The rise and fall of Ben Askren

dpfunny

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
To be honest earlier in his career he seemed more efficient. Probably I would say age is a biggest factor for Askrens downfall. He seems slower and more sluggish. He does not have the timing and will like he did earlier in his career. If Askren get his will and focus up I believe he can still steamroll through the division. What is your opinion is it age that catches up to him or his skills have plateaued?

To be honest earlier in his career he seemed more efficient. Probably I would say age is a biggest factor for Askrens downfall. He seems slower and more sluggish. He does not have the timing and will like he did earlier in his career. If Askren get his will and focus up I believe he can still steamroll through the division. What is your opinion is it age that catches up to him or his skills have plateaued?
Maia is older than Ben. Even though it can be argued that Ben has gone through more wear&tear due to being an Olympian, Maia has competed at the highest level of BJJ and took way more damage than Ben in his career. They can't be that far apart from each other when it comes to wear&tear. I don't think age is necessarily the deciding factor, more like Askren being out of shape. Him gassing earlier than Maia was embarrassing.

steamroll through the division? how stupid are you? there is no steamrolling anymore.

He better retire or be one of the biggest sources of memes and gifs in UFC history even with his short career in the organization.

Hes getting slept every fight.

He doesn't have the gas tank for striking. It's probably age-related at least somewhat.

Maia is older than Ben. Even though it can be argued that Ben has gone through more wear&tear due to being an Olympian, Maia has competed at the highest level of BJJ and took way more damage than Ben in his career. They can't be that far apart from each other when it comes to wear&tear. I don't think age is necessarily the deciding factor, more like Askren being out of shape. Him gassing earlier than Maia was embarrassing.
Age affects different people differently. Age could definitely still be a factor for Funky.

Ben Askren doesn't do steroids.

Not everyone ages the same.

Age and just never having the skill set to compete at the very highest level. Too one dimensional. He had some pretty good wins but for years people said he would struggle with top level competition. So far he has and it’s been mostly an embarrassing run so far. He does one thing well and he’s well below average at the rest of it. That’s a recipe for failure eventually. Age could factor in as well, but we’ll never know to what extent.

rofl.... lost to an old man.......

I remember this idiot claiming to be the new star in UFC...

biggest can crusher ever...

It was a bad match up for him to start. I think he pushed the groundwork WAY too soon against Maia.

In rounds 1 and 2 he waited for a minute left on the clock to push for TDs giving Maia little time to work.

Round 3 he initiated grappling with 3 whole minutes on the clock and paid the price.

Askren's just not that good , he padded his record fighting in the lesser organization's and that's that. He's still capable of beating some opponents in the UFC but he's not a champion material, that's for sure

LOL whut?

The competition is tougher in the UFC.

/thread

It was a bad match up for him

Is there any matchup that isn’t terrible for Askren in the UFC? He can’t strike, has poor cardio and has not shown that he even has the athleticism to implement his wrestling.

I think Maia was the worst matchup in UFC for him. Maia is the best BJJ practitioner in the UFC.
Ben Askren is not done, but yet again fans only remember the last fights.

Is there any matchup that isn’t terrible for Askren in the UFC? He can’t strike, has poor cardio and has not shown that he even has the athleticism to implement his wrestling.

Where all this bad cardio myth coming from? That goofball Paul Felder spewing it in the commentary? The guy got ragdolled at Duke Roofus by Askren and has been putting him down for months.

ANYBODY not named Maia in the division would NOT have been able to peel Askren off of them. He looked fantastic in the first two rounds grappling with Maia.

Remember Askren blasting the Jiu-Jitsu for having no takedown ? Maia should reply : "no need to bother, just have to let you do one and then making you tap".

Where all this bad cardio myth coming from? That goofball Paul Felder spewing it in the commentary? The guy got ragdolled at Duke Roofus by Askren and has been putting him down for months.

ANYBODY not named Maia in the division would NOT have been able to peel Askren off of them. He looked fantastic in the first two rounds grappling with Maia.

Anyone not named Maia would have easily kept Askren at bay on the feet and likely KO’d him. You really think Maia cared if he got taken down?

steamroll through the division? how stupid are you? there is no steamrolling anymore.

He better retire or be one of the biggest sources of memes and gifs in UFC history even with his short career in the organization.

Hes getting slept every fight.
I’m not convinced he can steamroll Bellator

Back